Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 149 Guests

Just back!

This thread currently has 12,925 views. Print
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
February 5, 2022, 5:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,493
Gold Stars: 537
To the car!!

Wow

What an away day!! First 20 minutes we were all over the place. Notts ran through us we backed off. They scored.

Then we took control, taylor missing the penalty but we utilised Efete and Sousa wel on the right and created some good openings but we didnt take them. Same old story!!

Second half came out the traps flying, just couldnt find that elusive goal, Fox playing well til he got injured and then we scored!! Taylor. After great work down the right

Notts came into it more but towns support never wavered, Loose backpass from Notts, abarhams clean through pulled back, yellow only!? Free kick whipped in, Efete taps in after waterfalls headed. Bedlam, insanity in the away end!!!

So proud of that performance after the first 20. We deserved 3 points, we got them, the flipping town!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
headingly_mariner
February 5, 2022, 5:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
Sometimes you get what you deserve and today was one of those days. We were the better side by a country mile and they really struggled to cope with us.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 70
dapperz fun pub
February 5, 2022, 5:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Sometimes you get what you deserve and today was one of those days. We were the better side by a country mile and they really struggled to cope with us.  

That’s great to read tbh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 70
RonMariner
February 5, 2022, 5:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,847
Gold Stars: 229
Fantastic result. Really sets us up for the nest four games. We could well be in the play off spots by the time we have played them!

We showed today we can beat the teams above us. Lets max on on the winnable games now.

This season isn't over yet after all!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 70
wuffing
February 5, 2022, 6:08pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
Proper club
. Proper result. On the train back. Get in. Lovely

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 70
chaos33
February 5, 2022, 6:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
Word for our travelling support….

How fantastic and dedicated and enthusiastic and willing.
It’s not as if it’s a local derby. Not as if we are top of the league. Must be 100 miles. 2500 supporters?!! Not many clubs can say that I reckon. Half your home support backing you on the road. Away game after away game, people are there in numbers, backing the boys. Saturday or Tuesday - could be hundreds of miles away, and very rarely are there fewer than 500. Our average must be 1000 or so. Absolutely superb and something to be proud of. Better than many a club in higher leagues, our away support - I salute you. Safe journey home you Mariners.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
Croxton
February 5, 2022, 6:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 35
Hagrid nailed it. Would add that Taylor started the second half with more graft and got his reward. Sousa the usual mixed bag. Time for Max and Abraham's to get a start maybe?
Chatted with a Derby fan after in the pub. He said we were too tentative  for most of first half. We really do need to have more intensity away from home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 70
Gaffer58
February 5, 2022, 6:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Notts thread saying the away number 2054, cannot believe that nearly 20% of those that bought tickets didn’t go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 70
Fette Schlange
February 5, 2022, 6:27pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -94
Gold Stars: 51
Not wanting to sound rude but who was the black armband for?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 70
Hagrid
February 5, 2022, 6:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Fette Schlange
Not wanting to sound rude but who was the black armband for?

Colin Slater

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 70
oochiad
February 5, 2022, 6:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Gaffer58
Notts thread saying the away number 2054, cannot believe that nearly 20% of those that bought tickets didn’t go.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 70
Fette Schlange
February 5, 2022, 6:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -94
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from Hagrid

Colin Slater

Ta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 70
TheRealJohnLewis
February 5, 2022, 6:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from chaos33

It’s not as if it’s a local derby. Not as if we are top of the league. Must be 100 miles. 2500 supporters?!! Not many clubs can say that I reckon. Half your home support backing you on the road. Away game after away game, people are there in numbers, backing the boys. Saturday or Tuesday - could be hundreds of miles away, and very rarely are there fewer than 500. Our average must be 1000 or so. Absolutely superb and something to be proud of. Better than many a club in higher leagues, our away support - I salute you. Safe journey home you Mariners.

I've got the average at 938 which is amazing.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 70
ginnywings
February 5, 2022, 6:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33

Would have been more if they'd given us more tickets.

Can't understand why clubs turn down income unless there are diminishing returns in terms of policing and stewards?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 70
louth_in_the_south
February 5, 2022, 7:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,711
Gold Stars: 96
Well done Town , great job coming back to win it with 2 late goals . Says a lot about the belief and determination 👍👍

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 70
chaos33
February 5, 2022, 7:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from ginnywings

Would have been more if they'd given us more tickets.

Can't understand why clubs turn down income unless there are diminishing returns in terms of policing and stewards?

I agree, but I can only think that they were mindful that our huge support could give us an advantage in terms of the result. Maybe they were right. In the end we could have given them another 20k in revenue. Regardless, they’ve lost out on money and lost out on the points 🙂

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 70
ska face
February 5, 2022, 7:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Was absolutely píssed out my box for most of the match so can’t offer anything on the playing side. Great day out and nice to have a chat with pontoonlew & Son of Cod, two good lads. That’s what Saturdays are about.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 70
Phil the cod
February 5, 2022, 7:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Taylor motm for me.
Macatee his usual self, but needs to look up at those around him in better positions. All in all a great day out with the added bonus of another nail in the scunts coffin.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 70
Mrbump53
February 5, 2022, 8:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Shame the numpty in front of me missed the second half after kicking and breaking the seat in front of him. His mate went just after the start of the second half. The ones that got arrested and frogmarched out also missed the goals ! Thought after we equalised we sat back too much and when they had all their men including the goal keeper around our penalty box why didn't we stick someone up on the halfway line so they could have collected any clearance and have the whole opposition half to themselves.

Good win and hopefully will give a good boost of confidence.

Not sure what the two notts county fans were watching as overheard their conversation that we were s£$t and they ran riot over us ! Still we took the three points and the players showing their passion made it a great day out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 70
aldi_01
February 5, 2022, 8:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m truth, after 20 minutes, town dominated.

If you could write the narrative for an away day, today was probably it. Last minute winners are the stuff of dreams…the flipping hurt though…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 70
Son of Cod
February 5, 2022, 8:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face
Was absolutely píssed out my box for most of the match so can’t offer anything on the playing side. Great day out and nice to have a chat with pontoonlew & Son of Cod, two good lads. That’s what Saturdays are about.

I can't believe mine and Lew's paths have never actually crossed in real life, mad considering we've know each other online since about 2005 or something! Hahaha not surprised you were smashed, were you on the port? But yeah was great to bump into you too mate.

Second half was class, thought we fully deserved it and the massive following fully piped up and got behind the team. Absolute limbs ahoy when that second went it. Great away day.

Thought Fox and Raikhy bossed it in the second half but the intensity and energy of all the outfield players was spot on. Notts were pinned back and our lads just kept on going. Heads didn't drop and I'm delighted that they got what they deserved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
Gilbertswand
February 5, 2022, 8:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +184
Gold Stars: 21
As an exile only my second match this season but great day out catching up with mates on the train and a great atmosphere in the ground from our fans. Didn't hear the Notts fans all game.

Agree with comments on here that apart from the first 20 we dominated and second half seemed to have a free for all down the right hand side.  Thought Taylor and Mcatee played well. Soft pen but a great end to the game. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
fishcake63
February 5, 2022, 8:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Brilliant day , agreed after first 20 we was dominant for most of the other 70 , last minute winners in away end SCENES that make it all worthwhile , thought fox & rhaiky dominated midfield 2nd half hope fox injury not too serious , mcatee busy taylor good second half , times i'v moaned about us not getting on end of waterfalls knockdowns then we do that fantastic , if we can now hit top gear who knows we could yet gatecrash the play offs utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
jamesgtfc
February 5, 2022, 8:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mrbump53
Thought after we equalised we sat back too much and when they had all their men including the goal keeper around our penalty box why didn't we stick someone up on the halfway line so they could have collected any clearance and have the whole opposition half to themselves.

This drove me insane last week against Wealdstone and gave them another opportunity to pump the ball into our box.

I wasn't there today but it sounded like we could have been 2 or 3 goals down before we started to get on top late in the first half. Certainly felt like it was going to be one of those afternoons again when Taylor missed the penalty.

I took in King's Lynn v Weymouth. King's Lynn, managed by Tommy Widdrington and featuring his son Theo in the middle, won 3-0 against a very poor Weymouth who should have had a man sent off in the first minute. They like to launch it into the corners and play in the final third. They play very little football in the first two thirds of the pitch. Widdrington is a bit hot headed on the touchline too so I'm sure the Main Stand will be on his back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
Mariner_501
February 5, 2022, 9:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Never thought I’d be this person but some absolute tools follow us. Many 25+ years old too. Fighting rival fans who want to fight you back, each to their own. Terrorising random people or own fans. Bang out.

What a win though, have to make the most of this and pick up at least 9 from the next 12
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
Limerick Mariner
February 5, 2022, 9:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
Most dominant I've seen a Town side against a supposed decent opposition for ages. Would have been travesty if we'd got nothing out of the game.

Not sure how you improve that second-half team (other than the penalty-taking bit from first half) with a sensible budget for this level.
If you sign a poacher. which seems to be what we need for the first choice XI, you lose Taylor's link-up play which is good. A bit of a conundrum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
Hagrid
February 5, 2022, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_501
Never thought I’d be this person but some absolute tools follow us. Many 25+ years old too. Fighting rival fans who want to fight you back, each to their own. Terrorising random people or own fans. Bang out.

What a win though, have to make the most of this and pick up at least 9 from the next 12

I do agree with you on that front

Some idiot let off a smoke bomb on the concourse
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
ska face
February 5, 2022, 9:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
TAGG
February 5, 2022, 9:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
barralad
February 5, 2022, 9:43pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
The first half mirrored a good few of the away games in this poor run. Town generally doing OK but showing defensive frailty in allowing their lad to run fully fifty yards unchallenged before firing a shot past a static Crocombe.
When Taylors penalty was (very well) saved and Clifton's brilliant effort cannoned off the underside of the bar you had to wonder whether luck had deserted us permanently rather than gone on a long holiday.
Agree with those who said we didn't deserve to be behind at HT but all too familiarily we were.
No idea what Hurst said at half time but nothing could have prepared me for what was to come. From the first minute Town produced a high pressing game which took us back to those games earlier in the season when our attacking was relentless. The equaliser was on the cards and a due reward for Taylor who ran himself into the ground for the team. It takes some bolox at any level to not let a penalty miss affect your game but given the teams current circumstances and the pressure of expectation his performance was outstanding. Hurst has had plenty of criticism over his use of substitutes but the arrival of Fox for the second half contributed massively to the upturn in Town's fortunes-not only for his own performance-before Lady Luck took the p1ss- but it seemed to further galvanise the Villa lad. Hope his injury isn't too bad.
County did come back into it after the equaliser but we just wanted it more.
The six minutes time added was pure football theatre. I haven't heard noise like that which greeted the winner since Wembley in 2016. Make no mistake these players are together. Then we were treated to (a late sub) an Abrahams inspired class in how to run down the clock-all the while urged on by 2500 who made sure the team knew they were there.
It's very early days yet but Amos and Raikhy look the part-particularly the latter who today was always looking to attack. Some of the football in the second half was as good as anything this season.
Onwards to Tuesday..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
smokey111
February 5, 2022, 9:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,360
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mariner_501

Have to agree. Plenty of marching powder appeared to have been consumed. Mix that with alcohol and some Stone Island and you have an unsavoury concoction! Although they made up the minority of an amazing following.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
arryarryarry
February 5, 2022, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Very good win, just typical after watching some crap away games I couldn't make today.

Well done to those who made it boosting the crowd to apparently their second biggest since dropping into this crap hole

Some good comments on their forum about how well we played and some complimentary about the Town fans although one County fan thought the majority of you were bell ends😁
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
Les Brechin
February 5, 2022, 10:28pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Look at the attendance at the end of this report.

I'm sure there were a few County fans there!  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60178954

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
bedders78
February 5, 2022, 10:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin
Look at the attendance at the end of this report.

I'm sure there were a few County fans there!  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60178954

Are you sure? I didn't hear any

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
Kris2
February 5, 2022, 11:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mariner_501

tbf most of the older fellas here were probably doing worse at 25 in the 70's and 80's
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
arryarryarry
February 6, 2022, 4:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Kris2

tbf most of the older fellas here were probably doing worse at 25 in the 70's and 80's

Too busy trying to get someone to dance with me in Tiffany's, The Flam and Clouds.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
aldi_01
February 6, 2022, 5:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’ve just woken up to feed the little one and I ache…all over. Last minute winners aren’t good for us older fornicators who still think we can clear 5 rows in one jump and shout and lose our minds.

Sometimes, following a team, following town is a awful. It makes you miserable and depressed…moments like that yesterday make it all worthwhile and I wouldn’t change it for anything…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
lukeo
February 6, 2022, 7:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Fantastic away support.
Fantastic way to win the game.
The tables looking slightly more optimistic now.

We MUST now go on and win our next 2 home games. That should put us pretty much into the play offs or just about.
Absolutely buzzing, I manged to get the radio on for the last 10mins and nearly fell over in the shower when we scored the winner!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
Davec
February 6, 2022, 8:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
It was absolutely sheer pandemonium when that 2nd went in, I think I must have flew 5 or 6 rows forward, ended up laid across 2 rows of seats and somebody picked me up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
GhostDan
February 6, 2022, 9:04am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
What a day.

When they scored, for the next 10/15 mins it looked like it could have been a cricket score to them. The missed penalty seemed to spark our revival and after that it was all Town.  Pressing them all over the pitch, winning tackles and then playing some decent stuff when we had the ball - it was great to see.

I thought Fox made a massive difference when he came on, his energy and movement opened up alot of space for Raihky to get on the ball and McAtee to find gaps.  I’m not sure if it was intentional but Fox naturally came a lot wider to receive the ball than Coke, and it gave our defence an extra option to pass to whilst also drawing space for the others to play in.

Mention for Raihky who was excellent in the second half, I wasn’t sold on him until then, thought he was very lightweight and quite sloppy on the ball but totally proven wrong - he was brilliant.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
ska face
February 6, 2022, 9:16am

Vodka Drinker
Fair play to the clubs, authorities & SLO’s for keeping it at 3pm on a Saturday, really made for a great day and should be like that every week. Thought the police were decent enough from what little I saw of them but that concourse at half time was ridiculous.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
Meza
February 6, 2022, 9:18am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,649
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from oochiad

Posted on Twitter 2454 and only 1 place I've managed to get full attendance but not sure this is right, 9303.

Anyone know home attendance?  BBC website only shows 2454 (but has a few comments about our support)/

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60178954[/url]

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
ginnywings
February 6, 2022, 9:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Meza

Posted on Twitter 2454 and only 1 place I've managed to get full attendance but not sure this is right, 9303.

Anyone know home attendance?  BBC website only shows 2454 (but has a few comments about our support)/

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60178954[/url]

In the vid ska posted, the attendance is on the scoreboard and it is correct. 9303.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
Mariner93er
February 6, 2022, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Special mention for Efete who’s a big threat down the right - a bit of a Connor Townsend type in the way he drives the team forwards at times. Also did a great job pressing their left wing back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
goldenfish
February 6, 2022, 9:55am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +212
Gold Stars: 16
First 30 mins , we was all over the place at the back , in dealing with their wing backs and our full backs not handing men over to the likes of coke, which meant they where dragged into central positions leaving wing backs in acres . Going forward we looked a threat though . Half time Hurst obviously addressed that , and they came out second half all guns blazing and absolutely dominated … crowd sensed it , and that fed the players , fans and players in it together … when the second went in … wow … what a day !  Live for these moments … was happy the players actually got the result they deserve too … brilliant day UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
February 6, 2022, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
It was a perfect away day. You cannot beat a last gasp winner especially after going behind.

We deserved to win, and that itself is very satisfying; any win is great but to play as well as that away from home and take the points is just spot on.

It could be a bit of a defining moment - perhaps we will look back and say that was the day that changed our season. I hope so anyway.

All the players did us proud, the crowd was fantastic and stuck by them and to top it off we had some good results in our league and all our local rivals lost which although immaterial is still nice.

Let us hope we go from strength to strength.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
Eastendmariner
February 6, 2022, 10:52am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Great day out from the early departure to getting home had it all Town win , good drink , Stress , Helpful bar staff and a helpful train guard after I missed my train back home UTM and great support as always

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
A Brace Of Tees
February 6, 2022, 10:56am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +706
Gold Stars: 3
The last 70 minutes had us recapturing the form shown in the first quarter of the season when we were playing a high tempo, pressing game. County simply couldn't handle us during the second half other than the odd breakaway. Hurst's 4-5-1 formation works best for the team as it accommodates McAtee in his best position behind Taylor - if he was pushed further up to play alongside Taylor he wouldn't be half as effective.

Confidence is a strange thing - we seemed to have an abundance of it earlier in the season, then it seemed to drain from the players, but on yesterday's showing it's now definitely back. And there's little doubt in my mind that this is a talented team and comfortably one of the best 7 in this league.

Being amongst the away supporters yesterday, when that winning goal found the back of the net, I haven't felt like that since Arnold's goal at Wembley in 2016 - unbelievable scenes of euphoria!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
forza ivano
February 6, 2022, 11:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Eastendmariner
Great day out from the early departure to getting home had it all Town win , good drink , Stress , Helpful bar staff and a helpful train guard after I missed my train back home UTM and great support as always

let that be a lesson for you Bob - no more Tequilas!!
definite lesson learnt by me yesterday - don't try and go toe to toe with the Chesterfield exiles in pre match drinking! 6 pints of various stouts made the whole afternoon a pretty hazy experience (didn't even realise Coke was playing or that Max wright had come on)
do remember the main bits thankfully - penalty looked soft from where we were; don't think it was a sending off late on as Abrahams looked like he was going away from goal.  thought Amos was busy and enthusiastic whilst the lad from Villa looks like an improvement on Hunt.He's big and strong & busier and seems to be a more effective all round player
support was awesome - County has to be one of the best away days in the calendar
Let's hope they repeat the levels of performance on Tuesday night
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
HertsGTFC
February 6, 2022, 11:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano

let that be a lesson for you Bob - no more Tequilas!!
definite lesson learnt by me yesterday - don't try and go toe to toe with the Chesterfield exiles in pre match drinking! 6 pints of various stouts made the whole afternoon a pretty hazy experience (didn't even realise Coke was playing or that Max wright had come on)
do remember the main bits thankfully - penalty looked soft from where we were; don't think it was a sending off late on as Abrahams looked like he was going away from goal.  thought Amos was busy and enthusiastic whilst the lad from Villa looks like an improvement on Hunt.He's big and strong & busier and seems to be a more effective all round player
support was awesome - County has to be one of the best away days in the calendar
Let's hope they repeat the levels of performance on Tuesday night

6 pints pre match is impressive mate TBH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
Meza
February 6, 2022, 11:53am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,649
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from ginnywings

In the vid ska posted, the attendance is on the scoreboard and it is correct. 9303.

Thanks Ginny

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
Caesar
February 6, 2022, 12:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
First game in a while and for the first 30 minutes was clear as to why we our form looks so crap. Stood off them and they tore through us by doing nothing more complex than running fowards and passing wide. When they walked through our defence to score I expected a nasty scoreline and atmosphere.....then they retreated into their shell. We started to play and just lacked quality with the final pass or touch to create really good opportunities. Very soft and dodgy pen and when that was missed thought there we go.

However second half we were a different level. Helped by County deciding to forgo any pretence of going forward but Hurst deserves credit for the change as well. We put pressure on them high up the pitch and had them camped out in their own third of the pitch. Never seen a team so consistently deep as their opponents swarm all over them at least when the attacking team is Town.

Fully deserved the three points for that fact alone. County only remembered to play again when it was 1-1 and by that time Town had got the fans well and truly going and the full intative. After a succession of conrers we broke and a clear goal scoring opportunity was denied, so they got a yellow card of course. As a result the goal coming from that free-kick was particularly sweet.

Great atmosphere and was awesome to see the players really enjoy the big following and encourage the fans to get louder. They loved it. We did also. Just a great away day!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
RobDef1
February 6, 2022, 12:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Fantastic day, my best day in sobriety so far (day 401). A day I'll cherish forever.

Agree with a lot of their manager post-match. They should have been out of sight by half-time, looked rapid and frightening every time they attacked and failed to put away some absolute sitters. But having said that we missed a penalty and that could have sent us in at HT 1-1. It was a pen by the way. 1 thing I am sick of hearing in football is 'Its a free kick on half-way line but not a foul in the box', bullsh;t. Luckily the ref blew for the foul (that is was) without considering first whether it was inside or outside the box, then when his linesman confirmed inside, that makes it a pen, all day. Irrelevant of course, which points towards sour grapes that their press keep mentioning it.

At HT, I couldn't have called it any worse, 'We need to change it, possibly take coke off, but Hursty will never do that' WRONG. 'We need to get at em but we don't seem to have the energy' WRONG 'We're creating but we just cant score 1 never mind 2' WRONG. And happily wrong lol

When the equaliser went in I was ecstatic, as we all were, but I had 1 eye on the fact that there was 15 mins left for Notts to get a winner still, praying we could hold out. And to be fair, they looked the more likely to get that winner during the last 10 minutes IMO. Doesn't matter though, what matters is that for the first time in a long time, the performance of the players has matched the performance of the fans.

There were a few moments that I think swung the momentum our way, particularly Clifton's booking. He absolutely clattered their player and it was a valuable yellow card from our perspective, because they pretty much bottled it at that point. The winner came with added justice, when considering at that point we'd played the majority of the game in their half and what came just before was an absolute nonsense yellow card for a last man professional foul denying a goalscoring opportunity (or attempting to)

Love it, those scenes were unreal. We celebrated that goal for what seemed like an eternity, everyone around me absolutely lost the plot and it was an amazing finish to an amazing game.

Speaking to a Man Utd ST holder after the game who had been in our end, he said you simply do not get that at top tier football. The community on a mission as one with the players and the sheer pride and jubilation at the end. What we live for isn't it?

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
out of town
February 6, 2022, 1:08pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
Raikhy was immense in midfield. He was everywhere across the middle, constantly looking for the ball and linking play. Like others have said, fair play to Hurst for taking off Coke at half time, he offered nothing and unfortunately I think his legs have gone. Efete was brilliant as well. Incredible scenes at the end when we scored, what a day!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
SouthLakesMariner
February 6, 2022, 1:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +945
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from RobDef1
Fantastic day, my best day in sobriety so far (day 401). A day I'll cherish forever.

Agree with a lot of their manager post-match. They should have been out of sight by half-time, looked rapid and frightening every time they attacked and failed to put away some absolute sitters. But having said that we missed a penalty and that could have sent us in at HT 1-1. It was a pen by the way. 1 thing I am sick of hearing in football is 'Its a free kick on half-way line but not a foul in the box', bullsh;t. Luckily the ref blew for the foul (that is was) without considering first whether it was inside or outside the box, then when his linesman confirmed inside, that makes it a pen, all day. Irrelevant of course, which points towards sour grapes that their press keep mentioning it.

At HT, I couldn't have called it any worse, 'We need to change it, possibly take coke off, but Hursty will never do that' WRONG. 'We need to get at em but we don't seem to have the energy' WRONG 'We're creating but we just cant score 1 never mind 2' WRONG. And happily wrong lol

When the equaliser went in I was ecstatic, as we all were, but I had 1 eye on the fact that there was 15 mins left for Notts to get a winner still, praying we could hold out. And to be fair, they looked the more likely to get that winner during the last 10 minutes IMO. Doesn't matter though, what matters is that for the first time in a long time, the performance of the players has matched the performance of the fans.

There were a few moments that I think swung the momentum our way, particularly Clifton's booking. He absolutely clattered their player and it was a valuable yellow card from our perspective, because they pretty much bottled it at that point. The winner came with added justice, when considering at that point we'd played the majority of the game in their half and what came just before was an absolute nonsense yellow card for a last man professional foul denying a goalscoring opportunity (or attempting to)

Love it, those scenes were unreal. We celebrated that goal for what seemed like an eternity, everyone around me absolutely lost the plot and it was an amazing finish to an amazing game.

Speaking to a Man Utd ST holder after the game who had been in our end, he said you simply do not get that at top tier football. The community on a mission as one with the players and the sheer pride and jubilation at the end. What we live for isn't it?

Great post - love the quote from the Man U fan - maybe we should invite the Glaziers and the rest of the Premier League ( / Euro Super League) cronies to a Town away day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
Withnail
February 6, 2022, 1:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Archetypal game of two halves.

We were all over the shop in the first half and looked very shaky. We allowed their goalscorer to travel about 30 yards with the ball unopposed before he slotted home with ease. We also missed a penalty. County could have been home and dry by HT.

I'd love to have heard Paul Hurst's halftime team-talk. Whatever he said worked a treat.

Second half was a completely different game. We were thundering into tackles and just went for it. It was one-way traffic and after we equalised the Pies were on the ropes and there was only ever going to be one winner.

Raikhy was absolute class and ran the game. Special mentions also for Efette, who was immense and Taylor who never stopped pressing, chasing lost causes and took his goal well.

Scoring the winner in virtually the last minute was the icing on the cake.

Cracking day and night out. UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
Billywhiz
February 6, 2022, 1:57pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +51
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Absolutely right , despite the poor run we’ve had there have been a lot of those games where we were equal to / better than the opposition , deserved a result and didn’t get one .
Today we got it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
jamesgtfc
February 6, 2022, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RobDef1

Are you JT or Gary Croft? That's exactly how the game across to me on the radio!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
RobDef1
February 6, 2022, 7:11pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,115
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Are you JT or Gary Croft? That's exactly how the game across to me on the radio!

Ha I wouldn't mind being Crofty, that is for sure. But no mate I was at the game. I'll await the inevitable call up from RH then, although I'd much prefer to be in John Moore's gang!

Codhead, socialist, recovered addict.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
mariner91
February 6, 2022, 7:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,755
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from out of town
Raikhy was immense in midfield. He was everywhere across the middle, constantly looking for the ball and linking play. Like others have said, fair play to Hurst for taking off Coke at half time, he offered nothing and unfortunately I think his legs have gone.  Efete was brilliant as well. Incredible scenes at the end when we scored, what a day!!

It will be interesting to see though if Hurst remains his usual stubborn self or actually admits to an error of judgement. There is no doubt that the improvement of our play came from the fact that we had better and more options when playing out from the back after Fox replaced Coke and we had extra energy in there too allowing us to actually press them. I'm sure Coke is a great professional but he offers nothing any more and actually detracts from our performances. Look at the difference in Raikhy's performance when next to Coke or next to someone else. We are far worse with Coke than without him.

Will Hurst drop him? Which would be basically admitting that he's been wrong to play him throughout this bad run. I hope so but I have a horrible feeling that he won't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
Hagrid
February 6, 2022, 7:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

It will be interesting to see though if Hurst remains his usual stubborn self or actually admits to an error of judgement. There is no doubt that the improvement of our play came from the fact that we had better and more options when playing out from the back after Fox replaced Coke and we had extra energy in there too allowing us to actually press them. I'm sure Coke is a great professional but he offers nothing any more and actually detracts from our performances. Look at the difference in Raikhy's performance when next to Coke or next to someone else. We are far worse with Coke than without him.

Will Hurst drop him? Which would be basically admitting that he's been wrong to play him throughout this bad run. I hope so but I have a horrible feeling that he won't.

Fox is now injured so doesnt really have another option
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
Maringer
February 6, 2022, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,675
Gold Stars: 189
If Fox is out with a hamstring issue, it's likely to be a few games at least. Might need Coke to play due to lack of other options! What's the other signing from Port Vale like? A midfielder so might get more of a look in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
Poojah
February 6, 2022, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from Maringer
If Fox is out with a hamstring issue, it's likely to be a few games at least. Might need Coke to play due to lack of other options! What's the other signing from Port Vale like? A midfielder so might get more of a look in.

Burgess is more of an attacking midfielder I think, so given Fox’s injury there’s only really Coke who can come in. Regardless of whether Hurst sees Coke worthy of a starting place in the coming weeks, I’d expect us to sign someone on loan who can play that more defensive role.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
jamesgtfc
February 6, 2022, 7:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

He does on Tuesday. Raikhy and Clifton in the middle with 2 from Sousa and Abrahams to really get at King's Lynn. Southend away might require Clifton out wide for his defensive work but not against King's Lynn.

With Fox out for a few weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see a loan come in as Clifton is rarely utilised in the middle due to his versatility, JMD being injured, Wright never starting and Scannell and Grant not being picked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
AussieMariner
February 6, 2022, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Hagrid

Yes he does
Clifton back in the centre where he belongs with Max, Sousa or Maguire-Drew down the left
Harry does a great, but makeshift job there and learnt to use his left foot filling in at left back initially, but it’s not his natural position and imo we’d be a lot better balanced with a natural wide player on the left and Harry playing box to box
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
Hagrid
February 6, 2022, 7:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from AussieMariner

Yes he does
Clifton back in the centre where he belongs with Max, Sousa or Maguire-Drew down the left
Harry does a great, but makeshift job there and learnt to use his left foot filling in at left back initially, but it’s not his natural position and imo we’d be a lot better balanced with a natural wide player on the left and Harry playing box to box

JMD Isnt fit and clearly Hurst has reservations about starting Max Wright, which i think is understandable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
mariner91
February 6, 2022, 8:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,755
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Hagrid

Clifton?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
ginnywings
February 6, 2022, 8:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Burgess was described as an attacking midfielder when he came in, so maybe he was signed as cover for McAtee should he become unavailable for whatever reason. That would explain his lack of game time possibly.

Presuming Coke was replaced for tactical reasons and not for injury, then I would expect him to come back in for Fox. I actually think he's a decent player and the sort that is appreciated more by the manager than the fans.

Whoever plays, we should have too much for Kings Lynn if we are at it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
Maringer
February 6, 2022, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,675
Gold Stars: 189
I think Coke is probably more effective at home than away. You're more likely to be chasing a game away from home and his relative lack of mobility is more of an issue in such circumstances.

I do tend to doubt we'll see Clifton playing in a similar defensive role. Absolutely full of effort and running but lacking the height and aerial ability of Coke and Fox. I suspect we won't see him in that role unless there is no other choice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
toontown
February 6, 2022, 9:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
I think Coke is probably more effective at home than away. You're more likely to be chasing a game away from home and his relative lack of mobility is more of an issue in such circumstances.

I do tend to doubt we'll see Clifton playing in a similar defensive role. Absolutely full of effort and running but lacking the height and aerial ability of Coke and Fox. I suspect we won't see him in that role unless there is no other choice.

I really like clifton but gives away too many free kicks in dangerous positions when playing in that defensive midfield role, needs to be playing higher up the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
TwoLeftFeet
February 6, 2022, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,102
Gold Stars: 19
Think the role Hurst has Clifton playing now is his best position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.