Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it possible?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 165 Guests

Is it possible?

This thread currently has 3,736 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 6, 2022, 9:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Just been watching this video about Oldham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t2FnXRCL7c

Seems they are in a right mess. My question is this - If Oldham and Scunny get relegated from League 2, which seems highly likely at this present moment in time, is there a danger because of the financial situations at both clubs that they could both slip straight into National League North or even further down?

Please note the video is quite long.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
February 6, 2022, 9:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
No…scunny aren’t in the state outsiders believe, Swann is a moron but a scunny supporting mate thinks they’ll be fine economically, like Fenty, he needs it to work.

Oldham on the other hand, they’re copulated…but still won’t go straight through…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
jamesgtfc
February 6, 2022, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
How much has Swann put in and would he make it back if Glanford Park became a big industrial unit/s instead?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
Poojah
February 6, 2022, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,770
Gold Stars: 1,515
Scunny are a strange one. In theory, there is no reason for them not to be accepted into the National League as things stand. They have no debt to speak of after Swann wrote it off in the summer, however in doing so he also transferred ownership of Glanford Park and their training ground to one of his own companies.

The question if they do go down, as seems inevitable, is what Swann does with them from there. As it stands, he’s lost £11m of his personal wealth to Scunthorpe United, but owns two key and relatively valuable pieces of land.

The club, soon to be non-league with poor short-to-medium term prospects by and no assets is worth virtually zilch. They only way, literally the only way for Swann to recoup his massive losses is to sell the stadium and training facility to be repurposed, as happened to Brighton in the 90s.

If that isn’t Swann’s intention, then why take control of those assets? You cannot frame it as being in the club’s best interests.

My prediction: Scunny playing in the National League next season but not at Glanford Park. Oldham going the way of their greater Manchester friends Bury and Macclesfield also wouldn’t surprise me.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
MuddyWaters
February 6, 2022, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Swann effectively wrote off 11.5 million but transferred the asset of Glanford Park to another privately owned company. His racing investment appears to be more focused on breeding nowadays, they had 30 horses in training 7 years back but they’re down to less than half that number so I guess they’re reining that back too.

Having briefly met him once, the impression I got was that he’s exactly the sort of person you wouldn’t want running your football club.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
DB
February 7, 2022, 4:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
The problem Scunny have is that they no saleable assets. Swan owns everything through his companies and the club owns nothing. The only asset the club has is EFL status, soon to be lost.

If Swan decides to pull out then the club will have nothing but a few players and staff. Would anybody want to invest in a club with no ground or training facilities? I don't think so. The future looks very bleak for them and possibly the exit from football. Another Darlington I'm sorry to say and Swan will sell the land and recoup his money.

The main people to suffer will be the few fans they have left. You don't have to like the fans, or club, but you do have to feel sorry for them.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
GollyGTFC
February 7, 2022, 12:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
Both would be in danger if their owner went down the Mel Morris route. But as Mel Morris is the only owner of a professional club to do that is recent times you would hope that won’t be the case with either Oldham or Scunny.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 23
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 7, 2022, 4:25pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
One of the most worrying things to ponder would be WHEN Scunny are relegated, and IF Swann flogs the ground off, there is nowhere else in Scunny that they could play.

An option may be the ground is bought (probably by the Council) and leased back to them.

Another option could be that they have to ground-share........but with who? I think Brigg Town would be their nearest neighbours.

Something tells me it wouldnt be at BP lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Poojah
February 7, 2022, 4:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,770
Gold Stars: 1,515
One of the most worrying things to ponder would be WHEN Scunny are relegated, and IF Swann flogs the ground off, there is nowhere else in Scunny that they could play.

An option may be the ground is bought (probably by the Council) and leased back to them.

Another option could be that they have to ground-share........but with who? I think Brigg Town would be their nearest neighbours.

Something tells me it wouldnt be at BP lol

I’m not sure Brigg have the capacity, or would meet facility requirements for the NL. If that were to happen, Gainsborough would be the obvious venue I would have thought.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 7, 2022, 4:52pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +880
Gold Stars: 123
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not sure Brigg have the capacity, or would meet facility requirements for the NL. If that were to happen, Gainsborough would be the obvious venue I would have thought.

Yes that would be a better choice. I had forgotten about them.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is it possible?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.