MuddyWaters
February 9, 2022, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mimma
Instead of bringing players on for the last few minutes because they are not " match fit", why not start with them and bring the off when they tire. That way they get match fit and we start with a better team and hopefully winning when they go off.

That’s not the way Hurst rolls though, is it? No surprise that we were unchanged last night but it didn’t take long to see that there were a couple not ‘at it’ last night and you can’t change it retrospectively.

It’s a bizarre thing for a non Lenny fan to admit but it was maybe a Lenny game last night.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
Madeleymariner
February 10, 2022, 9:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
The worry is we seem to get a lot of muscle type injuries, rather than a player taking a kick during a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
Croxton
February 10, 2022, 9:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Madeleymariner
The worry is we seem to get a lot of muscle type injuries, rather than a player taking a kick during a game.

Who decides when running tights can be worn in training or pre match warm up? Is it our conditioning coach or the player? There must be some science to this especially in the winter. Greg certainly puts them through their paces. I do wander whether the one size fits all training regime is working. 'Fitness coach' does seem an oxymoron at GTFC.

Has anyone else noticed that Abrahams has a lot more timber on him than in his highlights reel? It can't do him any good sat on the bench on a cold night then suddenly be thrown on the pitch to try to win a game in the last ten minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
Heswall Mariner
February 10, 2022, 12:06pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
I seem to recall that going back a number of years we had something like 18 contracted players to see us through the season - no problem. It seems to be a bit of an anomaly that these days we have a much bigger squad who should be much fitter than in the day - yet we struggle to put a fit team together?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
Mayaman
February 10, 2022, 12:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,422
Gold Stars: 74
Now we have fitness coaches, strength and conditioning coaches and tons of science theory yet so many players are sidelined though injury. Is the game more demanding than twenty years ago as I remember the same line up week in and week out.  Or, is that my selective memory?

My grandad worked down dock, smoked 40 a day, lived off bacon butties and chips but still managed to get in a ring to box.  Maybe we are overly cautious these days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
Maringer
February 10, 2022, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
The distance covered by players these days is a different order to that seen back in the day.

Look back at footage of the Buckley Mk. I and II eras and you'll see that there seems to be masses of space available with many not particularly athletic-looking players on show doing a lot of jogging around. Back then, 6' was a regular size for a central defender. Now, it's pretty commonplace for players to be a few inches taller and the fitness aspect means lots of training in the gym as well as on the training field so many are bulkier (with muscle). Most teams are just full of bigger athletic players who can run all game and they do. It's no coincidence that keepers are the players who tend to suffer the fewest injuries during a season.

The players are trained to within an inch of their lives and many are overtrained. The greater distances run means more injuries. The pace and physical demands are just so much greater.

Just did a quick search and this article contains some useful stats:

https://www.irishtimes.com/spo.....-schedules-1.4131276

Here's a quote:

Quoted Text
However, a 2014 study published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine showed that in 2013, Premier League players were running 30 per cent further at high intensity, with 50 per cent more high-intensity running actions (i.e. runs) per match, than they had been in 2006, just seven years earlier.

That's the problem with sports science. It's mostly aimed at increasing performance and the resilience aspect probably isn't considered enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
Les Brechin
February 10, 2022, 1:49pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,724
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
I seem to recall that going back a number of years we had something like 18 contracted players to see us through the season - no problem. It seems to be a bit of an anomaly that these days we have a much bigger squad who should be much fitter than in the day - yet we struggle to put a fit team together?

Bit different back then with only 1 sub allowed.

I think Villa won the Old First Division back in 1980/81 with only 14 players!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
grimsby pete
February 10, 2022, 8:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
The fitness coaches are trying to get every ounce out of the players which only makes them more likely to have a strain or muscle injury because they are so finely tuned.

Look at players in the past Joe Waters was mentioned the other day in a thread saying he hardly missed a game well be was not on his own Paul Groves used to play every minute of every game and he never got injured , he played 68 games the season we went up via the play offs.

I am sure if Max Wright was given a little leeway on the training field he might not pick up so many injuries it's worth a try .

Other players have gone through their careers not being as fit as most other players but they performed well and were nearly always available,

Daily Thompson the decathlon   once said when he was winning all those gold medals he was always on the edge of being ill when 100% fit it was a very fine line.

Would these players have a slight drop in their performance if granted a little easier time on the training pitch well maybe but at least they would be available and not always on the injured list .

I might be talking rubbish but in Max Wright's case I think it's worth a try.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
MuddyWaters
February 10, 2022, 8:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
The fitness coaches are trying to get every ounce out of the players which only makes them more likely to have a strain or muscle injury because they are so finely tuned.

Look at players in the past Joe Waters was mentioned the other day in a thread saying he hardly missed a game well be was not on his own Paul Groves used to play every minute of every game and he never got injured , he played 68 games the season we went up via the play offs.

I am sure if Max Wright was given a little leeway on the training field he might not pick up so many injuries it's worth a try .

Other players have gone through their careers not being as fit as most other players but they performed well and were nearly always available,

Daily Thompson the decathlon   once said when he was winning all those gold medals he was always on the edge of being ill when 100% fit it was a very fine line.

Would these players have a slight drop in their performance if granted a little easier time on the training pitch well maybe but at least they would be available and not always on the injured list .

I might be talking rubbish but in Max Wright's case I think it's worth a try.

An ex pro I know has told me in no uncertain terms that he couldn’t cope with the standards of fitness that are demanded nowadays.  

Furthermore, what would the rest of a squad think if one player was allowed to have say, 80% of the level required yet was still only fit enough for the odd 20 minute cameo.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
Saudimariner
February 10, 2022, 8:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +304
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from friskneymariner

Gut wrenching.

Saw what you did there....

Gave me a belly laugh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Injuries

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.