Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › might be of interest to any Geeks on here!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 155 Guests

might be of interest to any Geeks on here!

This thread currently has 4,203 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
February 9, 2022, 7:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
https://gtfc.co.uk/mariners-partner-with-loughborough-university/

interesting idea/project. Good they want some suitably experienced GTFC fans to lend a hand

obviously am expecting a few red crosses from the old guard, plus the inevitable neanderthal comments about they should be concentrating on the team.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2022, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from forza ivano
https://gtfc.co.uk/mariners-partner-with-loughborough-university/

interesting idea/project. Good they want some suitably experienced GTFC fans to lend a hand

obviously am expecting a few red crosses from the old guard, plus the inevitable neanderthal comments about they should be concentrating on the team.......

When did data ever get you 3 points?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 54
arryarryarry
February 9, 2022, 7:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
What the frigs "evidence based culture" may be useful if it finds the answer to Hurst's crap substitutions.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 54
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 9, 2022, 7:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Loughborough university (Leicestershire) teaming up with Grimsby town (Lincolnshire) and being based in London (that there south!)

Bit of a hybrid education model eh

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 54
forza ivano
February 9, 2022, 8:01pm

Exile
Quoted from arryarryarry
What the frigs "evidence based culture" may be useful if it finds the answer to Hurst's crap substitutions.

i knew you wouldn't disappoint me Arry!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 9, 2022, 8:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano

I'm with 'Arry. A load of old gobbly Asian. What on earth do they want to find out that a competent board couldn't?.

This is a football club not some sort of social experiment. They do love their buzz words but it is getting a bit wearing.

The toilets in the Pontoon could do with a lick of paint next week and new ones built in the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 54
aldi_01
February 9, 2022, 8:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It’s really nice that we’re finally catching up…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2022, 8:50pm
Vodka Drinker

I'm with 'Arry. A load of old gobbly Asian. What on earth do they want to find out that a competent board couldn't?.

This is a football club not some sort of social experiment. They do love their buzz words but it is getting a bit wearing.

The toilets in the Pontoon could do with a lick of paint next week and new ones built in the summer.

I suppose you think those vests that players wear are a load of nonsense too? We took a huge stride forward in 2011 when we appointed 2 managers that were computer literate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 9, 2022, 8:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
It’s really nice that we’re finally catching up…

Have we been left behind in the evidence based culture of other clubs? I doubt any other club knows what it means.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 9, 2022, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker

Have we been left behind in the evidence based culture of other clubs? I doubt any other club knows what it means.

Brentford place data at the heart of every decision. It's enabled them to purchase very obscure footballers under the radar.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 54
KingstonMariner
February 9, 2022, 8:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
flipping hell you miserable sods. You can’t tell me that you genuinely don’t understand the benefits. Think you’re just being grumpy for the sake of it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 9, 2022, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Brentford place data at the heart of every decision. It's enabled them to purchase very obscure footballers under the radar.

It would be better in those press releases if they pointed to the practical   improvements that evidence based culture they would be hoping for.

I find a lot of things they say are far too abstract to have any real pratctial meaning.

We all want change, but they will have to put some meat on the bones and tell fans what they are actually hoping to achieve.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
jaygy
February 9, 2022, 9:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6

Maybe give the Uni lads and lasses some summer work renovating BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
aldi_01
February 9, 2022, 9:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Lotwrelly every modern business, sports team and profession uses evidence based approaches to development, on varying levels…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
arryarryarry
February 9, 2022, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

I try not to
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
forza ivano
February 9, 2022, 11:26pm

Exile
right , i am reliably informed by persons far more knowledgeable than me that this seems like a real win-win idea
The project will involve sharing our data with sudents at the uni. This may be on the playing side, but may also involve marketing/sales and in financial modelling - basically the students are doing our analysis and research at very little cost to us, and are allowing us to do this work when we havent got the time, money or people to do it ourselves. The students obviously get a live project to work on and gain some valuable experience. there is also a potential win win in the future in that if it's an area that the club see some benefit from, they have a ready made talent pool to dip into in order to find the correct  staff, and students get a job as a result

seems like a pretty sensible idea to me

ps apparently there's a good chance the bogs will be redecorated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2022, 12:03am
Meths Drinker
Wasting money on painting the bogs!???! Should spend it on something useful like a 20 goal striker.

[Fishy Old Git Mode off]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
ska face
February 10, 2022, 8:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852

“I don’t understand these words, therefore this is a bad thing”

Could we have all future comms from the club written in crayon for the likes of LCL here.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
spartacus
February 10, 2022, 9:03am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +165
Gold Stars: 1
I'm obviously the perfect volunteer for this!

Oh, hang on a minute. I misread the thread title, I thought it said "Greeks"

I'm Spartacus!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
Mayaman
February 10, 2022, 12:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,422
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from arryarryarry

It's an educational phrase made by putting random words together - a bit like the names of craft beers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
mariner91
February 10, 2022, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,754
Gold Stars: 262

You'd rather have Stephen Marley, Mike Chapman, Phillip Day and John Fenty number crunching the data available on players than people who are literally learning to do it under expert supervision so that they can have a career in this very field? I doubt there's a board anywhere who are sat looking at the details of how far a player has run and the percentage of corners a player has taken that was successful.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 10, 2022, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

You'd rather have Stephen Marley, Mike Chapman, Phillip Day and John Fenty number crunching the data available on players than people who are literally learning to do it under expert supervision so that they can have a career in this very field? I doubt there's a board anywhere who are sat looking at the details of how far a player has run and the percentage of corners a player has taken that was successful.

If you read the press release it talks about data science for the "business and the organisation." It does not mention the playing side specifically. Nor does Stockwood in a tweet today - I took it that these people are looking at the business as a whole, hence my comment.

If it is solely on the playing side then fair enough, but I don't think it is from the information we have got so far.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
mariner91
February 10, 2022, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,754
Gold Stars: 262

If you read the press release it talks about data science for the "business and the organisation." It does not mention the playing side specifically. Nor does Stockwood in a tweet today - I took it that these people are looking at the business as a whole, hence my comment.

If it is solely on the playing side then fair enough, but I don't think it is from the information we have got so far.

Even if it's not purely on the playing side so what? Most boards would hire consultants and people to do work for them anyway, if you set up a partnership with a university you get it for free. Lincoln set up a partnership with the university there with regards to the sports science department, these partnerships can and do work well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Are you talking about players we may be looking to sign? Are we allowed access to that information from other club's players.

If it is our own players, don't we have a full-time analyst as well as some outside company helping him as well?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2022, 2:34pm
Vodka Drinker

The playing side is part of the organisation. I would be very surprised if it didn't involve the playing side of the organisation given the partnership is with the Institute for Sport Business.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
ska face
February 10, 2022, 2:41pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Can’t believe anyone would have a bad word to say about our píss-poor, unfashionable, midtable-non league club managing to set up a working partnership with the world's premier university for sports related subjects, and top 15 in the U.K. for computer science & information systems…but here we are.

The club must be absolutely swimming in data and information from fans that we probably don’t have the capacity or staff capability to make the most of. 4500 ticket sales a week - where are these people based, how do they travel to games, how often to do they come, how do they consume information about the club, how much do/could they spend, demographic information, it’s endless and that’s just in ticket sales.

Look at that exercise in the summer - 4000 responses to a survey and between Stockwood, Petit and Kristine Green (I think) they committed to reading every response. Far easier and less time consuming if you’ve got a piece of software that collates & analyses everything then spits out some recommendations on the other end.

Reads like a short-term project to assess the state of the club’s capabilities in data science and then make some recommendations on what to do & how to implement it. We need stuff like this to move forward long term.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
aldi_01
February 10, 2022, 3:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker

That is the team…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
aldi_01
February 10, 2022, 3:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Are you talking about players we may be looking to sign? Are we allowed access to that information from other club's players.

If it is our own players, don't we have a full-time analyst as well as some outside company helping him as well?

You’re drifting in to the court case that old slap head created…

The days no doubt exists and it’s worked pretty well for Brentford….

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 10, 2022, 4:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Can’t believe anyone would have a bad word to say about our píss-poor, unfashionable, midtable-non league club managing to set up a working partnership with the world's premier university for sports related subjects, and top 15 in the U.K. for computer science & information systems…but here we are.

The club must be absolutely swimming in data and information from fans that we probably don’t have the capacity or staff capability to make the most of. 4500 ticket sales a week - where are these people based, how do they travel to games, how often to do they come, how do they consume information about the club, how much do/could they spend, demographic information, it’s endless and that’s just in ticket sales.

Look at that exercise in the summer - 4000 responses to a survey and between Stockwood, Petit and Kristine Green (I think) they committed to reading every response. Far easier and less time consuming if you’ve got a piece of software that collates & analyses everything then spits out some recommendations on the other end.

Reads like a short-term project to assess the state of the club’s capabilities in data science and then make some recommendations on what to do & how to implement it. We need stuff like this to move forward long term.

In your own colourful way you have explained it a lot better than the press release which told us the square root of not a lot.

For those of us who don't know a lot about analytical studies, I think it is important that the board give a more detailed account of what they are trying to get out of it. I have found a lot of the utterances from the board too general, too vague and would prefer to be told the more practical manifestations of what they are proposing.

Edit. I have just listened to Hurst's pre-match interview with Humberside and they asked him what it meant and he doesn't seem to know specifically what they will get out of it either, so perhaps there isn't much more to say at the moment.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

You’re drifting in to the court case that old slap head created…

The days no doubt exists and it’s worked pretty well for Brentford….

Don't know what you are saying there.

As for Brentford, nothing to do with the millions plowed into them then?
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
Roast Em Bobby
February 10, 2022, 5:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from arryarryarry

Don't know what you are saying there.

As for Brentford, nothing to do with the millions plowed into them then?

There are many clubs that have ploughed millions in without any success (Sheff Wed, QPR, Derby etc.). The primary reason Brentford have been successful is that they have used data science to make astute signings at affordable prices and then sold many of them on for bigger profits and then replaced the sold players with newer versions whilst maintaining a successful team. It's not just Brentford who are doing this, most big clubs have data science departments now.

There are company's that have massive databases of detailed player statistics across the whole world for players ranging from ages of about 14 upwards and across all levels of football from non-league, U23s and all  top level leagues. Clubs can subscribe to get access to these databases, but the key skill nowadays is knowing how best to query and interpret the mass of data available to make the best decisions for your clubs circumstances and aspirations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

There are many clubs that have ploughed millions in without any success (Sheff Wed, QPR, Derby etc.). The primary reason Brentford have been successful is that they have used data science to make astute signings at affordable prices and then sold many of them on for bigger profits and then replaced the sold players with newer versions whilst maintaining a successful team. It's not just Brentford who are doing this, most big clubs have data science departments now.

There are company's that have massive databases of detailed player statistics across the whole world for players ranging from ages of about 14 upwards and across all levels of football from non-league, U23s and all  top level leagues. Clubs can subscribe to get access to these databases, but the key skill nowadays is knowing how best to query and interpret the mass of data available to make the best decisions for your clubs circumstances and aspirations.

I don't know how Alan Buckley managed then.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
Roast Em Bobby
February 10, 2022, 6:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

There is obviously still a lot to be said for traditional methods, a good eye for a player, good scouts and good contacts. In Buckleys days that’s how all clubs operated, so it was a relatively level playing field. However, the world moves on and some clubs are making the most of the possibilities that big data and analytics offer. We’d be stupid as a club not to try to take advantage of these things and carry on solely with how we’ve always done things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
forza ivano
February 10, 2022, 6:32pm

Exile
i'm guessing here, but i'd imagine that the students might look at what merchandise we sell - how much/where/when/what we buy etc.  
i could easily see some interesting results from that which could be used to make the merchandising far more efficient, which could be a substantial benefit financially
is that plausible, computer people out there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
arryarryarry
February 10, 2022, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I would, add are you saying that the millions Brentford have had wasn't a factor in their success?

I would also say that I am amazed so much personal information of players as young as 14 upwards is being held for sale.

Also if we identify these players will they be rushing to sign for a mid-table National league side?

I would also add that if it stops Paul Hurst from signing shitheads like Stefan Payne and also stop him from signing players that aren't even fit when they come here I will be all for it.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2022, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
i'm guessing here, but i'd imagine that the students might look at what merchandise we sell - how much/where/when/what we buy etc.  
i could easily see some interesting results from that which could be used to make the merchandising far more efficient, which could be a substantial benefit financially
is that plausible, computer people out there?

The club will have records of where orders are posted to or where registered users live so elements of that can be achieved. In terms of website hits, it's a lot more generic in terms of the location but we could discover an unknown fan club in Outer Mongolia. These days though, that has to be taken with a pinch of salt given the increased use of VPNs.

The club YouTube is monetised, or at least should be with those subscriber numbers so data may help determine what kind of videos or length of videos achieve the most hits.

In terms of merchandise, what kind of merchandise do certain groups of people buy, when do they buy it, how is it impacted by results? If we are more likely to buy merchandise when the club has won a few games on the bounce then marketing could be sent to fans when this has happened.

These should also have data from other organisations to compare with our own or help decide what we do next. I think it's great news.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
pen penfras
February 10, 2022, 6:58pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71

In your own colourful way you have explained it a lot better than the press release which told us the square root of not a lot.

For those of us who don't know a lot about analytical studies, I think it is important that the board give a more detailed account of what they are trying to get out of it. I have found a lot of the utterances from the board too general, too vague and would prefer to be told the more practical manifestations of what they are proposing.

Edit. I have just listened to Hurst's pre-match interview with Humberside and they asked him what it meant and he doesn't seem to know specifically what they will get out of it either, so perhaps there isn't much more to say at the moment.

It does sound like typical management buzz words of saying something but not really having a clue what they intend to get out of it. But I don't see the problem, it's unlikely to be costing us a lot and we might get something out of it. Doesn't sound like it's anything to do with the playing side, and I can't see it really making a huge difference to anything business wise, but it can't hurt unless we're stumping up a lot for it...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 10, 2022, 7:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The club will have records of where orders are posted to or where registered users live so elements of that can be achieved. In terms of website hits, it's a lot more generic in terms of the location but we could discover an unknown fan club in Outer Mongolia. These days though, that has to be taken with a pinch of salt given the increased use of VPNs.

The club YouTube is monetised, or at least should be with those subscriber numbers so data may help determine what kind of videos or length of videos achieve the most hits.

In terms of merchandise, what kind of merchandise do certain groups of people buy, when do they buy it, how is it impacted by results? If we are more likely to buy merchandise when the club has won a few games on the bounce then marketing could be sent to fans when this has happened.

These should also have data from other organisations to compare with our own or help decide what we do next. I think it's great news.

Most of that is common sense isn't it? I would definitely send information out when we are on a winning streak!

Dont You tube have statistics for views?

Wont data protection come into play in comparing data sets?

I agree if it gives us an edge it is worth doing in that sense but I dont think it will be transformative as say getting extra investment on board.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
ginnywings
February 10, 2022, 7:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Anyone struggling to grasp what data and analytics can do, watch the film Moneyball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
exiledmeggie
February 10, 2022, 7:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 20
Oh, I get it. Next time we lose we can blame it on the Computer and boffins, and not the board, manager and players like I have done so since Mike Hickman out on his shirt!

Not that Mike was a bad player.

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 10, 2022, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker

Most of that is common sense isn't it? I would definitely send information out when we are on a winning streak!

Dont You tube have statistics for views?

Wont data protection come into play in comparing data sets?

I agree if it gives us an edge it is worth doing in that sense but I dont think it will be transformative as say getting extra investment on board.

Data protection only comes into it if they share and distribute our personal data. Subtract the personal data and it can easily be analysed for trends.

The statistics are out there but you've still got to do something with them and that is where this partnership comes in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
Roast Em Bobby
February 10, 2022, 8:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would, add are you saying that the millions Brentford have had wasn't a factor in their success?

I would also say that I am amazed so much personal information of players as young as 14 upwards is being held for sale.

Also if we identify these players will they be rushing to sign for a mid-table National league side?

I would also add that if it stops Paul Hurst from signing shitheads like Stefan Payne and also stop him from signing players that aren't even fit when they come here I will be all for it.

Obviously it helps that Brentford had the money to make clever investments, and then made more money as a result. Interestingly Brentford (and Brighton's) owners got all their money from professional betting. They used to have their own company and developed their own data analytics software that they developed for the purposes of high level betting - they basically worked out that they could beat the bookies if they had better software than what the betting companies used. They made all their money in the far east where bets for millions of pounds are allowed. They then used these same principles to build up the football clubs they each bought. https://theathletic.com/3029279/2021/12/24/cold-war-brighton-tony-bloom-matthew-benham-brentford/

This website gives you an idea of the sort of data that is available - https://www.sportperformanceanalysis.com/article/opta-leading-sport-data-provider

It's a fair point to ask how much this can help a National Leage team. I would imagine the answer is not as much as it could help clubs higher up the pyramid, but for me it still sounds encouraging that we are at least looking at these things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
ginnywings
February 10, 2022, 9:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Another interesting read is about the 'aggregation of marginal gains' approach adopted by Dave Brailsford with British cycling. He turned them from poor underachievers to world dominance by searching for tiny margins of improvement, which when taken individually seemed trivial, but when combined, produced phenomenal results.

https://jamesclear.com/marginal-gains

Some of the things they did seem crazy on the face of it.

I know it's a bit if a stretch to compare it to our situation, but it can't hurt to try new approaches, even if it only improves us as a club off the pitch, rather than on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2022, 10:05pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Oh for crying out loud. Let’s try and stay in the past shall we? In fact why bother with crossbars, inflatable balls (or round ones). If there’s a vote for bringing back human sacrifice, you’ll be right on it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
Vance Warner
February 10, 2022, 10:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 106
Quoted from ginnywings
Another interesting read is about the 'aggregation of marginal gains' approach adopted by Dave Brailsford with British cycling. He turned them from poor underachievers to world dominance by searching for tiny margins of improvement, which when taken individually seemed trivial, but when combined, produced phenomenal results.

I know it's a bit if a stretch to compare it to our situation, but it can't hurt to try new approaches, even if it only improves us as a club off the pitch, rather than on it.

Would love to believe all those marginal gains were achieved legally!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
forza ivano
February 10, 2022, 10:26pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings

I used that all the time in my athletics coaching, think it's a superb doctrine
It illustrates rather well about how far we have slipped behind.we are now doing things that should've been done 5 or 10 years ago.
1878 must e realised very quickly that there is so much to do, just to get on an even keel with similar sized rivals.i suppose the only silver lining that most of the pitfalls can easily be avoided, as the trailblazers will have made those mistakes. There is obviously loads of case histories and examples of optimum practise to work from
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2022, 11:34pm
Meths Drinker

If you didn’t understand it why didn’t you ask what it meant, rather than making ignorant criticisms that make you look a right  côck?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
aldi_01
February 11, 2022, 6:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Oh for crying out loud. Let’s try and stay in the past shall we? In fact why bother with crossbars, inflatable balls (or round ones). If there’s a vote for bringing back human sacrifice, you’ll be right on it.

People always make comments like this as if it’s some sort of justification to support their argument that they don’t understand something…

We’re a flipping million miles away from plenty of clubs and that’s why we sit outside the playoffs in the conference and the likes of Brentford have gone past us…people obsess over the team rather than the whole entity but that’s not something that you can do in modern football.

People don’t understand this which is why is faces criticism…try telling Klopp that this excrement is pointless…

And let’s face it, the reason Buckley mkIII was a bit excrement was because he was too out of his depth, the game had moved on. Even the great lord himself admitted that…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
jamesgtfc
February 11, 2022, 7:43am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
And let’s face it, the reason Buckley mkIII was a bit excrement was because he was too out of his depth, the game had moved on. Even the great lord himself admitted that…

I forget who it was and I want to say Bolland but they said Buckley made them remove their watch because he knew when they should stop running and when they had worked hard enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2022, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

If you didn’t understand it why didn’t you ask what it meant, rather than making ignorant criticisms that make you look a right  côck?

Because I was agreeing with Arry and was making the point that the Board seem to speak a lot of words, often marketing speak and buzz words without giving more information and the practical benefits expected. Neither Hurst nor Matt Dean seem to know either.

Why do you have to insult people who see life differently? If you know what it might entail why don't you share it with posters?
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
pen penfras
February 11, 2022, 9:04am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from aldi_01

People always make comments like this as if it’s some sort of justification to support their argument that they don’t understand something…

We’re a flipping million miles away from plenty of clubs and that’s why we sit outside the playoffs in the conference and the likes of Brentford have gone past us…people obsess over the team rather than the whole entity but that’s not something that you can do in modern football.

People don’t understand this which is why is faces criticism…try telling Klopp that this excrement is pointless…

It doesn't sound like this is anything to do with the sporting side of things, but more the business side of things. From a sporting perspective, I absolutely agree that analysis is needed and can unlock the small differences between teams. But for a small football club with a market that is within a small radius of the town and exiles, then I'm not sure how much benefit data will bring. I guess you don't know unless you try, and as long as it's not costly, then it's a worthy experiment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 54
GYinScuntland
February 11, 2022, 9:11am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Quoted from spartacus
I'm obviously the perfect volunteer for this!

Oh, hang on a minute. I misread the thread title, I thought it said "Greeks"

I'm Spartacus!

I am Spartacus..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2022, 9:25am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

I think Buckley was referring to the culture around players. He was brought up and managed when you could call a spade a spade and many more things besides - Brian Clough style.

On the more general point yes of course we have to improve in all areas but whether this initiative is what we need now I am not too sure as I would think there are other pressing issues but like Penfras says it wont do any harm.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 54
Abdul19
February 11, 2022, 9:27am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
We didn't need data when we got to the FA Cup semi final in 1939 so why do we need it now? The players just need more running on the beach and a trip to the docks once a month.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 54
GrimPol
February 11, 2022, 10:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
I'm not sure that the Loughborough Uni Partnership has much to do with the team of 11 that play a match. It's mostly to do with running the organisational business part.
The club is in two parts, The Team (and all who serve it) and The Club which is the business side, which pays for The Team. Ms Debbie Cook, who hails from a Charity Business background, is grappling with the business side of GTFC allowing the Manager more spend on the team.
Now business "fads" have come and gone, buzz words like "evidence-based culture"  or "practice" might sound great in a brochure, but how that changes an organisation for the better, and make the team score more goals is to be seen.
I mentioned Debbie Cooks background because charities work on a different principle to football clubs. For one thing, charities do not get promoted or demoted. The football league system is brutal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 54
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › might be of interest to any Geeks on here!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.