Private Message
KingstonMariner
February 14, 2022, 12:31am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Great work by Harry in the lead up to the third.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
Theimperialcoroner
February 14, 2022, 5:09am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 103
Did Taylor mean that assist for the 1st? If so it was magnificent

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
lukeo
February 14, 2022, 7:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Did Taylor mean that assist for the 1st? If so it was magnificent

Definitely a shot, but who cares. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
Kris2
February 14, 2022, 8:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Lol @ Pearson screaming at everyone else for their goal when he pulled out of a challenge himself. The team were already mentally back home with their feet up at that point.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
jamesgtfc
February 14, 2022, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Kris2
Lol @ Pearson screaming at everyone else for their goal when he pulled out of a challenge himself. The team were already mentally back home with their feet up at that point.

At least he was in the box so sort of has an excuse. Absolutely criminal he was allowed to dance through half our team like that. I suppose the consolation is that his teammate took it off him at the end!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
ginnywings
February 14, 2022, 10:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Liking the different camera angles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
Poojah
February 14, 2022, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Easy to miss but Sousa’s off the ball movement for the first is excellent. Having started off the move, he drifts from the right wing to the back post completely unnoticed and is totally unmarked when the ball lands at his feet following Taylor’s slice.

Frustratingly, he then fluffs two promising chances despite some great work to get in those positions in the first place. Honestly, if his final ball and finishing were better he would be absolutely unplayable at this level.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
Tinymariner
February 14, 2022, 11:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Kris2

He shouldn't have got that far, besides an excellent game, Clifton let his man run through midfield again (Nots County) and into the box without a challenge. However, this is very picky as he had a superb match and it was his only mistake all game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
jamesgtfc
February 14, 2022, 11:32am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
Easy to miss but Sousa’s off the ball movement for the first is excellent. Having started off the move, he drifts from the right wing to the back post completely unnoticed and is totally unmarked when the ball lands at his feet following Taylor’s slice.

Frustratingly, he then fluffs two promising chances despite some great work to get in those positions in the first place. Honestly, if his final ball and finishing were better he would be absolutely unplayable at this level.

If his final ball and finishing were better he wouldn't be at this level. At 26 I'd argue it's not likely to improve much either. That said, he does bring a lot to the team with his ability to carry the ball up the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
Garth
February 14, 2022, 12:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
WHO’S THEIR GAFFER?aul Hurst, who is in his second spell as Grimsby Town manager, having guided the Mariners to promotion from the National League previously, back in 2016. A Left-Back in his playing days, Hurst was a one club man, making 438 appearances for Grimsby over 15 years. He began his management career with Ilkeston Town and then Boston United, prior to his first spell at Blundell Park. Having led the Mariners back to the EFL, Hurst moved on himself, to manage first Shrewsbury Town and then Ipswich Town. Following a brief spell at Scunthorpe United, Hurst returned to Blundell Park.

A true Grimsby stalwart,  438 playing appearances for Town, can't say I noticed him!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 14
lee65
February 14, 2022, 12:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If his final ball and finishing were better he wouldn't be at this level. At 26 I'd argue it's not likely to improve much either. That said, he does bring a lot to the team with his ability to carry the ball up the pitch.

Totally agree, he should always start for me, as he's one of the few who CAN make something happen out of nothing.  I think we have to accept he can be a tad "mercurial" and on a bad day be prepared to make an early 2nd half swap

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 14
RichMariner
February 14, 2022, 1:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
Strange to read people's opinions on the game - all delighted that we won but CA have described it as 'tediously comfortable'.

How we all wished for a tediously comfortable win in the worst parts of last season — or at any point between late October and late January this season!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 14
Poojah
February 14, 2022, 1:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from RichMariner
Strange to read people's opinions on the game - all delighted that we won but CA have described it as 'tediously comfortable'.

How we all wished for a tediously comfortable win in the worst parts of last season — or at any point between late October and late January this season!

For me it became clear that we would win the game as soon as it became apparent that Aldershot had not come to do a King’s Lynn-style job on us.

They came to play a game of football, but we’re patently not as good as us on the day. It has surprised me how few sides have tried to play with 10 men behind the ball this season as it’s clearly something that Paul Hurst sides tend to struggle with.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 14
jamesgtfc
February 14, 2022, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

I understand where Hurst is coming from with his comment that we played better against King's Lynn but I also remember giving a sigh of relief as Aldershot came at us and won a corner in the first minute. The thought of another team sticking 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes was filling me with dread.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Aldershot highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.