lew chaterleys lover
March 7, 2022, 12:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from BeijingMariner

Well, yes, understood But I have seen loads of 'highlights' with a lot less decent play in than those. But yeah, I take your point and am aware highlights can be deceptive. Having said that, some promising movement in the team and I agree with Sam GY that Burgess looked pretty useful, again, I wasn't there but the highlights gave the impression he contributed well

Take my word for it we played well. Should have been 3 or 4 and some of our football often in terrible conditions (which seems to be every week) for football is a joy to watch.

If we could get into the playoffs nobody would fancy meeting us.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 45
Hagrid
March 7, 2022, 12:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,493
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Jones has played 18 League One games for Morecambe this season. He was recalled in January and played 2 games for Hull meaning he couldn't go on loan anywhere else in the EFL. Now that the window is closed too, his only option for regular football is at this level or in the U23s so it does look like a coup for us. Peterborough look like going down and are now managed by Grant McCann who I assume played him for Hull this season. At 20 years old and with proven League One ability, he fits the Peterborough business model so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go there in the summer. A few more Championship appearances would probably push that fee up a little bit. Based on his debut, I hope we can keep him here. He has the potential of a Wembley promotion on his CV at 20 if he stays here.

nothing like going wildly over the top
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 45
jamesgtfc
March 7, 2022, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Hagrid

nothing like going wildly over the top

In what way have I gone over the top?

He's played in 20 league games for teams that are at least 2 levels above us this season which suggests he is a coup.
He's 20 years old, hungry for first team football and fits the Peterborough mould of buying them young with a view to turning a profit. Peterborough are now managed by the manager who recalled and brought him on as a last minute sub in January. Shota Arveladze also brought him on as a late sub in January.

His debut was decent and the only other alternative option in midfield is Giles Coke. Whilst we are in the play-off hunt, there is always that prospect of a Wembley appearance in June. I don't think I'm going over the top when I say that a Wembley appearance is a big deal for a professional footballer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 45
Stew0_0
March 7, 2022, 1:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 35
Jones reminded me of an Elliott Embleton type. Liked to get on the ball and rarely gave it away. What he has different though (with a slight frame) is he liked to get stuck in. Think his first touch of the game he clattered a sliding tackle out for a throw.
Think he will improve with more training, getting to know his teammates and more match fitness and I hope we can keep him until the end of the season.

On the game I felt we were deserved winners though should have had a goal or 2 up in the first half to make it more comfortable.

Still 3 points and a step closer to the play off hunt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 45
Hagrid
March 7, 2022, 2:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,493
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from jamesgtfc

In what way have I gone over the top?

He's played in 20 league games for teams that are at least 2 levels above us this season which suggests he is a coup.
He's 20 years old, hungry for first team football and fits the Peterborough mould of buying them young with a view to turning a profit. Peterborough are now managed by the manager who recalled and brought him on as a last minute sub in January. Shota Arveladze also brought him on as a late sub in January.

His debut was decent and the only other alternative option in midfield is Giles Coke. Whilst we are in the play-off hunt, there is always that prospect of a Wembley appearance in June. I don't think I'm going over the top when I say that a Wembley appearance is a big deal for a professional footballer.

proven league 1 ability... 20 games.

Darren Mansaram Played 20+ games in the Championship.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 45
jamesgtfc
March 7, 2022, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Hagrid

proven league 1 ability... 20 games.

Darren Mansaram Played 20+ games in the Championship.

When he got recalled by Hull, he had played in 18 out of 35 league and cup games for League One Morecambe.

The circumstances behind Jones' 20 games this season and Darren Mansaram in 2002-03 are completely different. Did the signings of Alex Hunt and Ryley Towler earlier in the season disappoint you by any chance?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.