March 6, 2022, 7:52pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
March 6, 2022, 8:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Aye that’s good Les. An extra game and all the kerfuffle that surrounds it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
Poojah
March 6, 2022, 8:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,776
Gold Stars: 1,515
An interesting question; would any Town players get into a National League best XI? I think most agree that McAtee is our standout player, but would he get a look-in ahead of the likes of Tshimanga, Mullin or Madden?

He’s a player who needs the right system to truly flourish, so it’s hard to say.

Efete is the other one who would potentially stand out, but I don’t know enough about the league’s other right backs to say for certain whether or not he’s the best the division has to offer.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
lukeo
March 6, 2022, 8:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
I'm glad. Loads of the top sides have players going to play in this. I assume they'll meet up for atleast a couple days prior to the game as a squad? Get those legs tired ready for the run in. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
HertsGTFC
March 6, 2022, 8:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Glad we’ve not got any players in this, if I remember from last time we where down here the Manager was a right bell end. Good to see Ben Killip involved in one of the squads.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
jamesgtfc
March 6, 2022, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
An interesting question; would any Town players get into a National League best XI? I think most agree that McAtee is our standout player, but would he get a look-in ahead of the likes of Tshimanga, Mullin or Madden?

He’s a player who needs the right system to truly flourish, so it’s hard to say.

Efete is the other one who would potentially stand out, but I don’t know enough about the league’s other right backs to say for certain whether or not he’s the best the division has to offer.

This England C isn't age restricted so it would seem unlikely that anyone would feature in a National League XI. Bit harsh on McAtee for sure plus an argument for Welsh U21* Clifton and Efete.

*I know that doesn't make sense but Clifton is eligible for England C.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Poojah
March 6, 2022, 9:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Certainly makes no less sense than Declan Rice playing for England.

[img]https://www.independent.ie/incoming/c77b2/37813652.ece/AUTOCROP/w620/1512407.jpg[/img]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
moosey_club
March 6, 2022, 9:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Poojah

Would think he stands a pretty good chance of being selected ahead of Tshimanga right now. 😉

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
ex-merseymariner
March 6, 2022, 9:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,402
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

This England C isn't age restricted so it would seem unlikely that anyone would feature in a National League XI. Bit harsh on McAtee for sure plus an argument for Welsh U21* Clifton and Efete.

*I know that doesn't make sense but Clifton is eligible for England C.

Any idea what the rules are?

Efete is from Drc but not capped by them at full level, unlike say Toto who was, but what is the cut off when it comes to England C, presume different rules as not in the same ballpark as a full international cap.

I think we have 2 full internationals in our squad btw....

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Poojah
March 6, 2022, 9:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Any idea what the rules are?

Efete is from Drc but not capped by them at full level, unlike say Toto who was, but what is the cut off when it comes to England C, presume different rules as not in the same ballpark as a full international cap.

I think we have 2 full internationals in our squad btw....

Grant and Crocombe. Incidentally, for a bit of Sunday evening trivia - Crocombe isn’t the first New Zealand international goalkeeper we’ve had on our books. Can you name the other?

P.S. Rob should know this one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
Swansea_Mariner
March 6, 2022, 10:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,473
Gold Stars: 63
I think the only rules are that you have to play in English non league. The Welsh C team is drawn from the Welsh Premier hence Clifton qualifying for England not Wales. Pretty dumb rule if you ask me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
ex-merseymariner
March 6, 2022, 10:55pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,402
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah

Grant and Crocombe. Incidentally, for a bit of Sunday evening trivia - Crocombe isn’t the first New Zealand international goalkeeper we’ve had on our books. Can you name the other?

P.S. Rob should know this one.

I know this one, but the clue was that u didn't say played for us as I dont think he ever did!

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
Poojah
March 6, 2022, 10:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

I know this one, but the clue was that u didn't say played for us as I dont think he ever did!

You are correct. Not for the first-team, anyway. Far more international caps than Crocombe, mind.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
Abdul19
March 7, 2022, 12:19am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
Jason Batty?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
Poojah
March 7, 2022, 9:06am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Jason Batty?

‘Twas indeed. It sticks in my memory because I recall he was introduced by a Town fan living in New Zealand who shared the surname of my old science teacher, who would not long after get sent to prison for shagging one of his pupils.

Funny how the mind works.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
GollyGTFC
March 7, 2022, 11:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
How do we know Town players weren’t picked but refused the chance to play? Efete and McAtee being the most obvious candidates.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 17
diehardmariner
March 7, 2022, 3:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
I'd be surprised if any player turned down the chance to represent their country, C level or not.

Didn't Fairclough seem to ignore our players when we were in non-league before?  Not bothered mind, less games/risk of injuries etc. for us.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
gtfc_chris
March 8, 2022, 6:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
A few years back Paul Fairclough brought England C out to the Falklands for two matches, one against the Falkland Islands team and another against a British Forces side. It wasn't made up of National League players, I think there was one or two from Conference N/S but mainly the division or two below within the London area.

Point of interest from a Grimsby perspective is that there were three lads from Grimsby in the Forces side, one of them was the goalkeeper who ended up Man of the Match and another scored both goals in a 3-2 loss. Fairclough was really good to be fair, came and delivered a training session and did Q&A with aspiring coaches, along with his GK Coach (who in further pointless info did the co-commentary when we lost to Dagenham in the FA Cup a few years back).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England C

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.