GrimPol
April 8, 2022, 7:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Does advertising work?
The 25 away fans that come to BP, in Tier 5,  can't buy that many Fish Fingers to make it worthwhile.
As Poojah has written, I bet Young's kept the flag flying for the area more than GTFC in the last decade or so.
I know needs must, but I just hope the GTFC Young's break was amicable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 66
aldi_01
April 8, 2022, 7:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I issue the the conversation went along the lines of, what’s good for you? How does the benefit the club? We’ve explored other avenues, they can offer more, do you want to?

I know town fans have this desire to keep things local and all that but for me, as I’ve said, aside from one day in May 2016, a day quickly diminished through awful club management, You he are synonymous with the worst era for the club…

I really couldn’t care less about them not being our sponsor.
As long as it’s not some made up crypto company or betting then it really doesn’t matter…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 66
crusty ole pie
April 8, 2022, 7:51am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from GrimPol
Does advertising work?
The 25 away fans that come to BP, in Tier 5,  can't buy that many Fish Fingers to make it worthwhile.
As Poojah has written, I bet Young's kept the flag flying for the area more than GTFC in the last decade or so.
I know needs must, but I just hope the GTFC Young's break was amicable.

Pretty sure it would be amicable split youngs got a bargain in sponsoring us due to a reluctance to eat at the same table as John fenty therefore there was no serious competition and they probably knew that once jf had left the table their  days were numbered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 66
crusty ole pie
April 8, 2022, 8:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 66
This is also a clever move should we get to Wembley for the playoffs than we release a new shirt for the occasion with the new sponsor across the front a win /win situation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 66
jamesgtfc
April 8, 2022, 11:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from crusty ole pie
This is also a clever move should we get to Wembley for the playoffs than we release a new shirt for the occasion with the new sponsor across the front a win /win situation

I remember we wore our new Dixon shirts in 1998 but our sponsor at the time was Food Town whoever they are/were. An appearance at Wembley is the best bit of exposure we can expect to get at this level so I can't see Young's being too happy if we did that. There are only so many variations of a black and white shirt with Young's on the front so I think having a new sponsor on the front will cause an increase in shirt sales.

Lincoln have had multiple home shirt sponsors this season with the most recent one being Branston (not that Branston) and replica home shirts are sold sponsorless. Not sure I like that approach myself as a fan but I understand the commercial reasoning behind it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 66
mimma
April 8, 2022, 11:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
I can remember the outcry on the north bank when Dixons sponsored us for that trip to Wembley. Hull where near the bottom of the old 4th. Div at the time with gates of less than 6000.

How times have changed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 66
RichMariner
April 8, 2022, 11:22am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,165
Gold Stars: 211
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Not necessarily so. Stevenage got more exposure from Burger King than BK got from them.

BK used Stevenage for various FIFA video game related social media campaigns which resulted in Stevenage being the most played club in the world in career mode on FIFA 20. As a result Stevenage made a relative fortune compared to the usual numbers selling their 2 BK sponsored shirts that season (especially the dark blue with ketchup & mustard away shirt) all over the world.

To be fair, that is the exception rather than the rule (at this level of football, at least). The difference with that case study is that Burger King had a strategy —  it wouldn't have been mutually beneficial if they just stuck their logo on the shirts and did nothing else (as most do).

But take your point — if there's a strategy behind the decision, and the sponsors know that GTFC alone won't get them exposure through snippets on BT Sport and a modest social media presence, then nothing is out of the question.  

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 66 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Sponsor  

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.