Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 166 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 9,557 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Zmariner
April 9, 2022, 11:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from barralad
Surprised no one has beaten me to it so here goes.
I feared the worst when the taxi driver who took me from the station to the ground reckoned that given the almost certainty that Weymouth were going down their players had effectively given up with some of them already on their holidays. Too many times over the years of non-league matches we've seen teams raise their game against us. We should have won.....convincingly. That we didn't can be put down to three things as far as I could see.
1. Weymouth's willingness to put their bodies on the line. I lost count at the number of last minute blocks or tackles- particularly late on.
2. Some bad luck-shots deflected to safety etc.
3. And most importantly for me the failure of certain players to execute their part in what was perhaps the clearest game plan I've seen for a long while. Rarely this season if at all has a Town team made so much use of width. We now have players who can consistently cross the ball well, be it in the air or low inviting the likes of Taylor to get in front of their marker at the near post. Sadly, too many times particularly in the second half, where we had no-one prepared to gamble in the box and nick a goal. The fact that three of our best chances fell to Smith (2) and the irrepressible Waterfall tells a story. Defensively we were pretty decent apart from one aberration on the part of Crocombe where he inexplicably passed to an opponent who to be fair was so surprised he didn't make the best of it and a free kick which thumped Crocombes left hand post.
Midfield got through some sterling work-our command of that area was unchallenged and some of the passing was exquisite.
There was an interesting 20 minutes or so from Manny D who proved a real handful. The only time their keeper dropped the ball Manny was there but his goal bound effort struck a defender on the line.
Scannell did some good work with some excellent crosses at a time when the efforts of some Weymouth players had left them barely able to stand.
Six minutes of time added on simply prolonged the agony.
In my view 2 points definitely lost but it would take a special sort of awkwardness to be disappointed with four points from the last two games.

Always the "just back" I look for. Thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 73
forza ivano
April 9, 2022, 11:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
the point is that beating chesterfield away with a brill performance followed by an uninspiring draw at v non league weymouth sums up why town aren't winning the league / going up. not professional/committed/disciplined/consistent enough to get promoted. 2 examples-  jmd and holohan been very impressive - but completely anonymous today. league winners have players who perform 3 out of 4 or 4 out 5 games. we don't have enough of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 73
rancido
April 10, 2022, 12:01am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
You don't have to be a good footballing side to prevent a good footballing side from winning. You just need a game plan and discipline. Although I wasn't at the match, I get the impression that Weymouth had both.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 73
golfer
April 10, 2022, 8:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Crocombe has started making quite a few mistakes lately.  Taylor and M. Drew could do with a rest and give Manny and Abrahams a go from the start. We are lacking the killer instincts which these two could provide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 73
HertsGTFC
April 10, 2022, 8:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from forza ivano
the point is that beating chesterfield away with a brill performance followed by an uninspiring draw at v non league weymouth sums up why town aren't winning the league / going up. not professional/committed/disciplined/consistent enough to get promoted. 2 examples-  jmd and holohan been very impressive - but completely anonymous today. league winners have players who perform 3 out of 4 or 4 out 5 games. we don't have enough of them

Clearly we’re not consistent enough but to say the side aren’t professional, committed or disciplined is a really cheap shot IMHO.

If you use the analogy “forming-storming-norming-performing” which is a process teams go through yesterdays match squad are clearly at stage 2 of that process.

The consistency may come when and if this group stays together for a period of time. The consistency in individuals will come when they play half a dozen games on the bang and get truly match fit, I suspect the 2 you call out above are at least a couple of games away from that space.

In terms of winning leagues, if memory serves me right we’ve won 3 since the end of WW2 this season like all seasons we’re not the biggest spenders so I for one don’t expect us to finish top of the table.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 73
lukeo
April 10, 2022, 9:09am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from golfer
Crocombe has started making quite a few mistakes lately.  Taylor and M. Drew could do with a rest and give Manny and Abrahams a go from the start. We are lacking the killer instincts which these two could provide.

Manny yes. Abrahams I have to disagree. I'd prefer Scannel or even Sousa.. But that's just my opinion. Although I do feel Taylor and Mcatee have a good understanding, it just wasn't to be yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 73
Sussexmariner
April 10, 2022, 9:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +623
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from golfer

Lost count of the times Crocombe dropped the ball when catching from crosses and what he was he doing passing to a Weymouth player? He was very lucky not to concede.
Taylor was poor yesterday, I know he’s there to link up the play and everything but Dieseruvwe in the 20 minutes he was on did all that and was more of a goal threat than Taylor was, add to the fact his goals per game is far better than Taylors I would be quite happy for him to start against Stockport I think Maguire Drew just had an off day, I would certainly start with him.

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 73
Limerick Mariner
April 10, 2022, 9:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,747
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Sussexmariner

Lost count of the times Crocombe dropped the ball when catching from crosses and what he was he doing passing to a Weymouth player? He was very lucky not to concede.
Taylor was poor yesterday, I know he’s there to link up the play and everything but Dieseruvwe in the 20 minutes he was on did all that and was more of a goal threat than Taylor was, add to the fact his goals per game is far better than Taylors I would be quite happy for him to start against Stockport I think Maguire Drew just had an off day, I would certainly start with him.

Taylor will start against Stockport. Probably be the same starting XI as today if all fit. We need to treat it as a cup game, we'll have a full house, they are a "League 1" team with the players they have and we have history with Challinor...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 73
immariner
April 10, 2022, 9:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
From what I heard on the radio and have read on here and the Weymouth forum, sounds like we've missed some really good chances and they've defended heroically, especially in the second half. On balance, we'd win that game far more often than not so far from the catastrophe some are making it out to be. Three teams that could quite possibly make up 50% of the play offs in ourselves, Notts County and Chesterfield, have all drawn there and Stockport needed a last minute winner. Ultimately, yeah of course I would have liked us to blow them away like we did Chesterfield, but beforehand I was hoping for 4 points from these two away games and i'm happy we've got that, even if I expected the results to be the other way around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 73
lukeo
April 10, 2022, 9:48am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
For me i'd make 1 change .. Scannell right wing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.