3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
April 18, 2022, 8:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,769
Gold Stars: 1,515
Been an almost perfect easter weekend for us really, were well in the mix for 4th and 5th now no question about it

Of all realistic finishing positions, 4th would be the dream ticket on paper. That would mean a home tie against the 7th placed side, then an away tie at Halifax for the winner (who, it should be noted, do have an excellent home record).

I think the odds of that are fairly long, particular in the apparently likely absence of McAtee, with Notts County having a favourable run-in and Solihull still having a 3 point + GD advantage over us. It remains a possibility though, which would’ve seemed implausible a few weeks ago.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
TownSNAFU5
April 18, 2022, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
..........£250K for one player - playing half a season.  All their eggs in one basket.

Halifax fans say that they were the better team,  Chesterfield did not take their chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
LH
April 18, 2022, 10:49pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,599
Gold Stars: 177
It’s been widely predicted that Chesterfield’s questionable business practices and morals over the last couple of seasons would come back to bite them on the bottom. There is a very real chance given their current form that they could miss out on the play offs entirely which would be absolutely hilarious after comments describing themselves as the “strongest team in non-league by a country mile”.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
aldi_01
April 19, 2022, 8:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I actually had this conversation walking to the car after we’d just dismantled Chesterfield.

They had a habit of winning, mostly down to a striker that only needed one chance. The issue was everything seemingly relied on him, understandably so but if you think of those decent conference sides over the years, whilst they’ve all had a star man up top, goals have come from all over the park.

There’s been a lot go on at chesterfield and many will say it’s karma, others will say it’s just unfortunate. They weren’t impressive when they played us back in December and they’ve appeared to sort of limp through games recently and possibly just limp in to the playoffs…

They could drop out but to be honest I kinda hope they don’t because they don’t look a threat at all…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
jamesgtfc
April 19, 2022, 8:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from aldi_01
I actually had this conversation walking to the car after we’d just dismantled Chesterfield.

They had a habit of winning, mostly down to a striker that only needed one chance. The issue was everything seemingly relied on him, understandably so but if you think of those decent conference sides over the years, whilst they’ve all had a star man up top, goals have come from all over the park.

There’s been a lot go on at chesterfield and many will say it’s karma, others will say it’s just unfortunate. They weren’t impressive when they played us back in December and they’ve appeared to sort of limp through games recently and possibly just limp in to the playoffs…

They could drop out but to be honest I kinda hope they don’t because they don’t look a threat at all…

I would be more worried about facing Dag & Red or even Torquay if they made it than Chesterfield as they would have momentum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
HertsGTFC
April 19, 2022, 9:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
..........£250K for one player - playing half a season.  All their eggs in one basket.

Halifax fans say that they were the better team,  Chesterfield did not take their chances.

And many criticized our club for not doing the same!!

I notice that Chesterfield, Dagenham and Notts all play bottom 3 sides on Saturday, we just need to beat Torqauy which I'm sure we can do even with McAtee if he's crocked.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
jamesgtfc
April 19, 2022, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HertsGTFC

And many criticized our club for not doing the same!!

I notice that Chesterfield, Dagenham and Notts all play bottom 3 sides on Saturday, we just need to beat Torqauy which I'm sure we can do even with McAtee if he's crocked.

I'm convinced we were in for Tshimanga and came close but I guess we set our limit but Chesterfield went over and above that. Why else would we have zoomed in on the Boreham Wood ground during the Shaun Pearson interview after signing him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
RonMariner
April 19, 2022, 10:36am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,831
Gold Stars: 226
Very bad luck for them that he got injured, but he is a goal machine at this level and when fit again will no doubt continue to rack up the goals.

I can't see Chesterfield going up this season. My fear is that next season he will return and bang in about 40 goals for them making them a shoe in for top spot with everyone else, probably including us, scrabbling for that second promotion spot via the playoffs.

Either that or they sell him in January for £1million and buy three or four top players with the same result.      
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Northbank Mariner
April 19, 2022, 10:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm convinced we were in for Tshimanga and came close but I guess we set our limit but Chesterfield went over and above that. Why else would we have zoomed in on the Boreham Wood ground during the Shaun Pearson interview after signing him?

I can't disclose who, but I was lucky enough to chat with someone well up the hierarchy at BW who told me we were never in for Tshimanga.
They had put a deal together that they believed only a championship/top end league 1 club could match and if matched would let him go
Chesterfield enquired, and to the suprise of BW  met the deal.
The rest, as they say, is history.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
diehardmariner
April 19, 2022, 1:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
I'll hold back on getting too cocky whilst looking at Chesterfield's decline since losing their talisman, especially as we're potentially going into a crucial run of games without our own.

In the event Chesterfield don't go up, they'll surely be the spending force next season.  Tshimanga will go for big money and they've still got the £1million those two brothers came up with last month haven't they?  As a club they've got the memory of a goldfish and there's no chance they'll look to invest those two windfalls in a sustainable way.  It'll be excrement or bust again.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Halifax v Chesterfield

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.