6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
April 23, 2022, 5:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
I enjoyed that! Second half more than the first!

We looked really lethargic and it was only a matter of time till Torquay took a deserved lead, we hit back with Cliftons great finish, and could have even gone in ahead with Efete missing a free header after Evans did the same for them.

Second half we were superb, chance after chance with clifton very wasteful! Amos and Scannell- my MOM- linked up very well down the left and after Holahan was denied by the keeper, we got the pen, dispatched brilliantly and 3 more points. momentum, great form, bring on those play offs

Only downside, a complete tosser sat in Row L about 105/106 in the upper, every wayward pass, intercourse OFF, all game, eventually i snapped and said just get off their backs. Cue a verbal tirade my way but others around me saying the same to him, its a shame we have to put up with fans like that
Logged Offline
Private Message
sonofmadeleymariner
April 23, 2022, 5:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Hagrid

Only downside, a complete tosser sat in Row L about 105/106 in the upper, every wayward pass, intercourse OFF, all game, eventually i snapped and said just get off their backs. Cue a verbal tirade my way but others around me saying the same to him, its a shame we have to put up with fans like that

Had one on H around 55ish. Fortunately he didn't come back in the 2nd half.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 59
It Bites
April 23, 2022, 5:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266

Only downside, a complete tosser sat in Row L about 105/106 in the upper, every wayward pass, intercourse OFF, all game, eventually i snapped and said just get off their backs. Cue a verbal tirade my way but others around me saying the same to him, its a shame we have to put up with fans like that [/quote]

Simpletons out in force today
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 59
Kris2
April 23, 2022, 5:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Second half was more like it. Don't know what they changed or said but it seemed to bring some more belief and we began building up some steam, probably good we were able to get a goal back in the first half and reset at half time. Scannell looked great, Taylor and Amos solid.

Torquay look like a team pushing for playoffs and had their chances, in the second half we took more control of the game but they still could have got another one. Wasn't impressed with their gamesmanship but thankfully neither was the referee who seemed so annoyed with the first ludicrous attempt to con him that he cracked down hard on it by scrutinising every time they tried to draw a foul.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 59
sonofmadeleymariner
April 23, 2022, 5:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Well, that was worth the trip up from Stoke.

1st half I thought we dropped to Torquays level full and they took advantage. Clifton did a great job creating a goal from pretty much nothing as we went through another dull moment in play. After that there was only going to be one winner.

2nd half we were the far betrer team. It was just a matter of waiting for the goal. Clifton was everywhere (I know I'm shocked as well   ) he should of probably done better with gis 1 on 1s. Scannell and Taylor were great with their 1 touch passes and town town best moments were when we passed the ball round Torquay. Couldn't see the foul for the pen from the upper, but I'm pretty sure that was Abrahams first touch when he scored.

I thought Hurst once again was a bit slow with his subs after the JMD one. I think we could of had 3 or 4 if we'd got another striker on earlier.

Ref had a good game. Can't complain about his performance for a change.

UTM

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 59
MuddyWaters
April 23, 2022, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Tough game against decent opponents. Nice to see us get on top of the game in the second half and I think we deserved three points in the end.

Scannell and Clifton outstanding, a certain someone in centre midfield less so. Is Raikhy available?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 59
promotion plaice
April 23, 2022, 5:43pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,079
Gold Stars: 200

Cracking game between two good sides, edge of the seat stuff, great result.

Highlight for me though was when the stewards removed a large inflatable willy from the Ponny before kick-off  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 59
ginnywings
April 23, 2022, 5:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Feck me. it was cold in the Upper.

Strange see-saw type of game, with the players and the fans seemingly edgy. Up until Harry scoring a really good goal out of the blue, Torquay were well on top and deserved to be in the lead, but for the rest of the first half and a good portion of the second, we took the game to them and created chance after chance, culminating in Taylor hitting the bar with a chance he'd put away more often than not.

After that, it became a bit more nip and tuck, but we were still looking the more likely to score, even though the game looked to be heading toward a draw; a result which wouldn't have been that disastrous, but would have felt a bit stingy given the chances we had.

About thirty seconds before the penalty, my brother turned to me and said, if we get a winner here, we know it's our season. He's a bit of a sage like that.

Three wins in the last 8 days have all but cemented a play off place now I reckon. The thing is, can we get ourselves higher up and make the path a bit easier? anywhere 5th or above would be a good target given where we were at the turn of the year.

Scannell my MOM by a mile.  

Another good ref too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 59
thevera
April 23, 2022, 5:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5

Had one on H around 55ish. Fortunately he didn't come back in the 2nd half.

I was actually sat in that seat!
But he was sat next to me, he’d had a drink and I knew it wouldn’t be long before he cleared off for more. He went after 28 mins and that was before they scored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 59
toontown
April 23, 2022, 5:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,277
Gold Stars: 70
Clifton my motm, everywhere, rescued the first half for us and shows what he offers in the middle getting beyond play with pace which we haven't got in anybody else in CM. He was wasteful with his opportunities though, bar the one he wasn't of course. I think about 75th min he got actually got in front if Amos cross but nobody else even in the 6 yard box to finish. Maybe Abrahams or mani is that player but not sure. We so do miss that finisher type player.

Scannell played well and Amos too, I thought efete was poor and to be honest JMD (who I like) and Jones stank the place out, they were both utterly awful. JMD has done enough to have a bad game and still retain his place, no doubt, but today did show that when his touch is off his lack of pace is painful. When Jones signed the Dagenham fans said something like he has 1 good game in 3, and he does far too much trying Hollywood long passes that fly off the pitch and I guess that sums him up so far. Good against Chesterfield, terrible since a d should have been subbed much earlier. Must be hanging on to his place by a thread, Fox in there for me (rashly when fit would be better).

The game was very entertaining and open with both sides going for it which suited us as it meant we had enough chances to eventually score. Surely the playoff beckon now. Personally I'd prefer 7th to 5th or 6th as can't see us winning at Wrexham, but 4th is still tantalisingly possible. We would definitely need mcatee back to stand any kind of chance tho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 59
Balaby
April 23, 2022, 5:53pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +87
Thought Taylor was absolutely superb again today! Hold up play, flick ons and work rate was second to none! Unsung hero this season, brilliant 👏🏻
Big shout out to the referee today aswell!! Let the play flow and for once was a credit, best referee seen in this league by a country mile!! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 59
acko338
April 23, 2022, 5:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Scannell and Amos are making a good left side team.

Jones looked well off the pace, either not fit or carrying a knock.

Couple of excellent saves from Crocombe when needed.

Taylor held the line well, but the passing wavelengths took a good time to get sorted.

2nd half was far better all round, post hit twice, Taylor nearly broke the bar, and a defender managed to turn another shot past the post.

To be fair - several chances missed through poor last pass or shot decisions, but a blatent penalty and well taken by Abrahams.

A quality result again and the run continues !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 59
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 23, 2022, 6:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Cant help but look at torquays results this half of the season and not think weve done really well there. Some of our issues the first half just sounded like a really good pressing game by torquay. Second half we really took the game to them. Great to be looking forward to and then enjoying every game at the moment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 59
lukeo
April 23, 2022, 6:11pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Love it. Love it. Love it. Constantly clicked onto sky sports app and over celebrated when I saw we scored in 90+1mins.. Luckily for me Exeter also won so it looked like I'll celebrating their win 😂

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 59
ginnywings
April 23, 2022, 6:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Think it helped that Torquay had to go for it, especially after we got that equaliser against the run of play. They needed the three points to close the gap on us and I think that helped us find spaces once we got our act together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 59
RonMariner
April 23, 2022, 6:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Tremendous result against a side in great form. They are now out of the picture as far as being a play off threat to us goes. I think we can forget Bromley too.

Dagenham are still a theoretical threat, but given our remaining fixtures its hard to see them getting six points more than us in the run in. Same applies to Boreham Wood who have to win both their games in hand, and beat us to stand any chance, but they have to visit Stockport next week. That might well be the final nail in their coffin.

The fact is though that we now have two very winnable games coming up against the 17th and 18th placed teams who have sodomist all to pay for. Even without MacAtee we have enough fire power to beat them comfortably.  If we do we are sitting with 78 points and might already have confirmed our play off spot.

Personally I would rest MacAtee for those games so that he will have had three weeks to recover from his injury and play him against Boreham Wood on May 10th if it looks like we might have a sniff of 5th place.   Otherwise save him for the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 59
mimma
April 23, 2022, 6:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
The wind made it a bit of a lottery. One minute it was blowing a gale, the it would suddenly die. It made judging passes difficult, but both teams managed to play some good football. All credit to Torquay for making it a good game, as well as the ref. Best ref this season by a country mile. We just about deserved the win, especially 2nd half, but were once again wasteful in front of goal. Scannell my MOTM. Very clever in tight situations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 59
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2022, 6:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I've been critical of Scannell and thought he did alright last week against Stockport but today he was absolutely superb for the full 90 minutes. Most of the team weren't at the races first half and our defending was terrible at times. I felt at times during the game that Joey Jones was doing his best to help Dag & Red finish in the play-offs, he was very frustrating to watch.

JMD looked very tired and Max Wright looked like he was playing like his career depended on it today. Good performance from him when he came on under what must be immense pressure for him.

I actually thought it was a penalty first half in real-time from the halfway line in the Main Stand so be interesting to see that one back. Bit of ping pong in the box at the end but our lad got tripped and calm as you like from Abrahams (take note Bruno Fernandes).

Clifton could comfortably have had a hat-trick today and scored the hardest of them all. Seemed to sky the opportunities that came to him when he had lots of time to think about what he was going to do. Scannell could have had 2 or 3 too, he was superb today like I said at the start.

Torquay showed today that it can be tough being losing finalists as it doesn't give you long to prepare. I think they will be a threat next season if we're still down here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 59
lew chaterleys lover
April 23, 2022, 7:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Deserved winners, the second half especially in very difficult conditions. Like us, they found it much more difficult against the wind.

Taylor, Scannell, Holohan and Amos were absolutely fantastic for this level. The football we played was my new favourite word - sublime.

Fair play to Hurst - in his interviews he is still asking for more, rightly so, but he must be feeling good about the team at the minute especially with John McAtee likely to come back when we need him.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 59
Hagrid
April 23, 2022, 7:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I've been critical of Scannell and thought he did alright last week against Stockport but today he was absolutely superb for the full 90 minutes. Most of the team weren't at the races first half and our defending was terrible at times. I felt at times during the game that Joey Jones was doing his best to help Dag & Red finish in the play-offs, he was very frustrating to watch.

JMD looked very tired and Max Wright looked like he was playing like his career depended on it today. Good performance from him when he came on under what must be immense pressure for him.

I actually thought it was a penalty first half in real-time from the halfway line in the Main Stand so be interesting to see that one back. Bit of ping pong in the box at the end but our lad got tripped and calm as you like from Abrahams (take note Bruno Fernandes).

Clifton could comfortably have had a hat-trick today and scored the hardest of them all. Seemed to sky the opportunities that came to him when he had lots of time to think about what he was going to do. Scannell could have had 2 or 3 too, he was superb today like I said at the start.

Torquay showed today that it can be tough being losing finalists as it doesn't give you long to prepare. I think they will be a threat next season if we're still down here.

I dont think Max really did anything? I want him to do well as do we all but im really confused by what you saw to indicate your view
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 59
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2022, 7:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

I dont think Max really did anything? I want him to do well as do we all but im really confused by what you saw to indicate your view

He gave them something to worry about, looked to link play and hugged the touchline to stretch them. He looked nervous and understandably so but it was still a good cameo from him I thought. There was a moment where he perhaps should have let a deflected ball that he was chasing go out for a corner but he chose to drive it into the box. If we scored from that it was a stroke of genius from him but then again, our corners were poor today so fair play to him trying something different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
TAGG
April 23, 2022, 7:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Couple of excellent saves and bad finishing by them kept us in it for the first 40 minutes. Great strike from Harry put us right back in and there was only one winner after that as showed in the second half.
Amos and Scannell were brilliant, Harry as usual was everywhere including some great forward runs, pity he's not as good a finisher as JMc
Maguire-Drew was almost as bad as Jones but at least we know he's a great players on his day.
Taylor was absolutely fantastic in the second half. I love the bloke and hope (along with Scannell) is still with us next season.
All in all a fantastic result.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
MuddyWaters
April 23, 2022, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

I thought Max was more effective than JMD but that’s not saying a lot today - he’s mainly struggled since returning from injury.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
Hagrid
April 23, 2022, 7:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I thought Max was more effective than JMD but that’s not saying a lot today - he’s mainly struggled since returning from injury.

My old man said the same about JMD. He assisted the goal against Kings Lynn but he doesnt look fit at all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2022, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

My old man said the same about JMD. He assisted the goal against Kings Lynn but he doesnt look fit at all

Can't fault him for workrate and end product but anything longer than 30 minutes and he's blowing out his bottom. I suspect his end of season keep fit plan will involve lots of running.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
blundellpork
April 23, 2022, 7:57pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
The wind played a big part in how today played out. First half we were playing into it, and were struggling to control the ball, then misplacing passes. First 30 minutes it looked like Torquay could be two ahead, but from the moment Clifton scored, we grew into the game and being all square at half time was probably a fair result.

Second half it was all Grimsby, and with Taylor hitting the bar, and Scannell hitting the post, it looked like we were not going to get the win that we deserved.

JMD had a poor game today, and when he loses the ball, is so painfully slow trying to catch his man. It’s that lack of pace why he’s at this level as the rest of his play is usually very good. Thought Jones was poor too with plenty of misplaced passes. In his defence, he played well at Chesterfield, but I haven’t been impressed with the last two home games. Scannell MOTM and looked far better than this level.

Special mention to Crocombe for that heart in the mouth moment in the second half when he came a long way out of his goal to clear the ball, only to hit it straight at another player, and was then scrambling to tackle the Torquay lad who had gained possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
LH
April 23, 2022, 7:59pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,605
Gold Stars: 175
Took a while to get the winner but it was deserved overall. Scannell and Crocombe’s best games for us that I’ve seen. Intelligent and experienced from Scannell and a couple of good, important saves from Crocombe. Agree that Clifton was all over the pitch today but those critical moments when he could have put the game to bed he was found lacking and on another day we really rue them. I think there’s a few who looked unfit - JMD and Jones especially but Efete hasn’t been at his best to me since returning either.

Overall though we have probably now secured the playoffs barring a huge balls up. The target now has to be securing a home
QF.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
jamesgtfc
April 23, 2022, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from blundellpork
Special mention to Crocombe for that heart in the mouth moment in the second half when he came a long way out of his goal to clear the ball, only to hit it straight at another player, and was then scrambling to tackle the Torquay lad who had gained possession.

Forgot about that! Looked like there was someone in the Upper controlling him with their PlayStation controller. How we ended up with a goal kick from all that was a miracle.

Also, Clifton's goal started with his dodgy kick. Fine margins and all that...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
RonMariner
April 23, 2022, 8:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Well that's 11 wins and three draws in the last 16 games. Great form over pretty much a third of a season.  It's 2.25 points per game. Over a normal 46 match season that would give 103 points. Champion's form.

I know it's crazy to think this way.

But just saying.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
ginnywings
April 23, 2022, 8:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from RonMariner
Well that's 11 wins and three draws in the last 16 games. Great form over pretty much a third of a season.  It's 2.25 points per game. Over a normal 46 match season that would give 103 points. Champion's form.

I know it's crazy to think this way.

But just saying.....

Without that infuriating dip in the middle of the season, where would we be now?

Promotion form/relegation form/champions form all in one season.

We are not conceding many either, so we always have a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
davmariner
April 23, 2022, 9:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from LH
Took a while to get the winner but it was deserved overall. Scannell and Crocombe’s best games for us that I’ve seen. Intelligent and experienced from Scannell and a couple of good, important saves from Crocombe. Agree that Clifton was all over the pitch today but those critical moments when he could have put the game to bed he was found lacking and on another day we really rue them. I think there’s a few who looked unfit - JMD and Jones especially but Efete hasn’t been at his best to me since returning either.

Overall though we have probably now secured the playoffs barring a huge balls up. The target now has to be securing a home
QF.

Interesting how people see games differently. I thought Crocombe looked off. His kicking was dodgy and there was one instance where he was caught in no mans land out of the goal chasing a player. He did make a good reflex save in the first half. Perfectly happy to admit McKeown is leaving and likely won’t play for us again, but certainly don’t buy that Crocombe is the answer or any better.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 59
LH
April 23, 2022, 9:52pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,605
Gold Stars: 175
Quoted from davmariner

Interesting how people see games differently. I thought Crocombe looked off. His kicking was dodgy and there was one instance where he was caught in no mans land out of the goal chasing a player. He did make a good reflex save in the first half. Perfectly happy to admit McKeown is leaving and likely won’t play for us again, but certainly don’t buy that Crocombe is the answer or any better.

It’s not a high bar to beat really - he didn’t parry a shot into the path of another striker today!
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
promotion plaice
April 23, 2022, 9:56pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,079
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from davmariner

Same here, not one of Crocombe's best games for me, been brilliant for us this season in the main.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 59
MuddyWaters
April 23, 2022, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from davmariner

Don’t see him dropping or flapping at crosses and, in the main, rarely mishitting clearances. He’ll never be one of our best keepers,but he’s an improvement on the Macca of the last two seasons.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 59
TownSNAFU5
April 23, 2022, 10:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
Crocombe did make 2 very good saves in the first half.  Even if like Macca in other facets of his game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
HertsGTFC
April 23, 2022, 10:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,996
Gold Stars: 228
I thought Crocombe played well today, his Cameo at left back was particularly entertaining, our best keeper is currently first choice.

Odd game that, I thought we looked quite nervous in the first half and gave the ball away really easily throughout the whole pitch and too many times allowed them space to create opportunities.

In the 2nd half we looked a bit better and created enough opportunities to be out of site. Credit to the players as they once again stuck to the task kept applying themselves without panicking in an attempt to win the game.

We definitely tried to win the game and that’s illustrated by the penalty which was given for a foul on our left back when we could have just “kept us shape” and settled for a draw. The penalty was well taken and based upon the 90 we arguably deserved the win.

So mentions in despatches for Crocombe, Amos, despite Hurts comments on RH the CB’s in difficult conditions and having to deal with a cheating **** like Danny Wright, as well as Clifton, Hoolihan, Scannel, Taylor & Abrahams. I’m not sure what Jones does to keep Foxy out of the side but there you go.

Like I say the players deserved what they got today as their attitude and application was of the highest quality even if the football wasn’t.

Regardless of what happens if we get to the play offs I do hope we retain & re-sign a fair proportion of this squad as it has the nucleus to be more than half decent.

UTM!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
quebec38
April 23, 2022, 11:01pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Scannell MOTM for me.

I thought we made Torquay look good first half. Second half we woke up and deserved the win.

Don’t want to get carried away with negatives on another good day but I thought Jones was off the pace. Gets caught on the ball in front of the centre halves a few times. Did put together some good play though particularly switching the ball out wide. Has an annoying habit of trying to clip passes as well. One thing that struck me about Stockport last week was how they really wrap their foot around the ball when it goes in to the box. It goes in with pace and whip every time. I get we’re not all as blessed but surely someone else could put a bit more shape on deep set pieces rather than clip a ball in to nowhere to be countered straight away.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
Mariner_09
April 23, 2022, 11:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
First half an hour, it was pretty abject from us. We were saying that Torquay's goal had been coming. Must say, I thought after that, "oh rats, we've been here before behind at home to Gary Johnson's teams", but fair play we dug deep and it seemed to wake us up. We then completely outplayed them.

Scanz was unplayable for the majority of the game, their full back didn't have a clue how to deal with him. I hadn't quite appreciated actually how fast he still is over shorter distances, if he could finish his dinner he'd have had the best individual performance of anyone all season. I thought Taylor wasn't far behind him in terms of MOM. A couple of lay offs and link ups were technically superb. His touch and the way he uses his body are a cut above this level. It's clear him and Scanz have the ability to play above non league, just a case of injuries that we have them.

Contrary to popular perception, I remain unconvinced by Holohan. I see he tries a lot of stuff to make things happen and drive us forward but his touch is usually pretty ordinary and he gives the ball away far too much for my liking. He does have a goal and moment of quality in him though, which is more than can be said for the rest of our midfield. Someone mentioned about Jones being D&R's Trojan horse last week and I'm beginning to see that logic! By 70 mins he was absolutely spent, he tried getting back when he gave the ball away for the 74th time this afternoon and could hardly move. Do we know how far away Raikhy is? He's a much better option, and can deliver a decent set piece. I'd definitely pick Fox next week over him.

That was, on paper, our toughest assignment by far before the end of the season and we got through it without McAtee. Sounds as though Hursty thinks it's worth some injections and some discomfort to get McAtee through to the end of the season. Hopefully, that doesn't further damage it and mean we lose him anyway and for longer. We now face Barnet, who are second bottom of the form table and have sweet fa to play for. Then Maidenhead who likewise have nothing to play for and I bet BW do too by the time we play them.

Looking at the table, Stockport's form has got a tad rocky now they're playing decent sides all of a sudden, plus Wrexham lost to Woking. I don't half wish our shocking mid season dip had only been half as bad, and we'd be right in there for automatic promotion still! Even so, we still stand a great chance of getting one play off game at home. At home, with a big crowd, I'd back us to beat Solihull, Chesterfield or Notts County. All those are beatable. Then I reckon we could win at Halifax or Wrexham. We inexplicably only took one point off Halifax in the two league games and could've, perhaps should've, at least pinched a point at Wrexham in January when were on our lowest ebb.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 23, 2022, 11:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Just seen as of today we top the form table for the last 6 games

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
Tinymariner
April 24, 2022, 12:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Enjoyed the game today, I would have settled for a point prior to the game so I am very happy. There were a few negatives but I won’t mention those because I want to remain positive now to see us through to the play offs, UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
aldi_01
April 24, 2022, 6:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A deserved win in the end and whilst the first half was a bit ropey, we still found a goal and went in level. Second half felt like a matter of time before we scored. It was late on but overall we deserved it.

The Crocombe debate will remain, I suspect it’s more of a thing because of how long Macca has been here and how good he’s been in that 10 years, but we’ve got to accept that his time has come to move on.

Holohan is a class above for me, occasionally he looks to play a sloppy ball or gets caught but that’s more to do with the lack of movement around him. Jones was way off and whilst there’s certainly a player in there, my personal choice would be to slot Harry next to Holohan and play JMD and Scannell in a 4.

We did miss Mcatee, and we didn’t seem as lively without him, much like every other team when they lose their best player but we won. A game that on paper was tricky, we came through. Our form is nothing short of excellent, for however much moaning I’ve heard at the ground. May be we haven’t played well on periods but we’ve won thr games, that’s all we have to do. I’d take 3 average performances but three wins in the playoffs. intercourse all prizes for jjst playing well and losing.

We seem to have developed a knack of winning, similar to what we saw in Hursts last couple of conference seasons last time.

I don’t fear anyone in the playoffs, aside from Solihull we’ve taken at least a point off of all of them, and beaten all but Halifax and Solihull.

On to Barnet…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
HarrogateMariner
April 24, 2022, 9:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
I also really enjoyed the game, thought both teams looked good. Think it helped that they could not sit back and had to go for the win. Scannel and Clifton standouts for me. As others have said, Scannel looks a class above at times. Thought Clifton made some great runs and showed good movement off the ball. Also a note for Amos. He looks better and better every time I see him play. An all round good full back with a bit of everything to his game. I was disappointed when Crookes lost his place as I also rate him- would be happy to keep both next season and that would provide great competition at left back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
IlkleyMariner
April 24, 2022, 10:07am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Thought the wind made the play tricky, with far too much head tennis especially in the first half. Torquay players moved the ball quickly and well deserved the early lead.

As town got into the game Scannell and Clifton got more influential and several breakaways could have given us a useful lead. Enjoyed the game and have confidence that we are on the right track even if we don’t go up this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
forza ivano
April 24, 2022, 10:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Quoted from davmariner

you n me both. Both of them being released would free about £200k - am sure you can get a v. competent keeper within that budget and still save a heap of money

ps decent crowd again yesterday - we are averaging c5800 which is 1300 above 1878's projection. Reckon that means they will be over £500,000 to the good by the end of the season, and a home play off game would be the icing on the cake financially
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
HertsGTFC
April 24, 2022, 11:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

you n me both. Both of them being released would free about £200k - am sure you can get a v. competent keeper within that budget and still save a heap of money

Would you though? You'd have to bring in someone (or two) better and that would surely cost more than what where paying now?

If we are going to succeed we need stability, Max can DAJATL and so can Macca for that matter, we only need one of them, Max just feels a bit more hungry to me. I do recognise though that moving Macca on would feel like the right decision to make the numbers stack.

I would have liked to have seen Ollie Battersby out on loan just in case we need to retain him as back up next term.        

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 59
jamesgtfc
April 24, 2022, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Would you though? You'd have to bring in someone (or two) better and that would surely cost more than what where paying now?

If we are going to succeed we need stability, Max can DAJATL and so can Macca for that matter, we only need one of them, Max just feels a bit more hungry to me. I do recognise though that moving Macca on would feel like the right decision to make the numbers stack.

I would have liked to have seen Ollie Battersby out on loan just in case we need to retain him as back up next term.        

I got told Crocombe was about to sign for Boston on about £600 p/w and we came in at the last minute to double that offer.

I think Crocombe is alright but I'm not convinced our keeper coach is actively improving our keepers. I mean, for a start he played his own part in McKeowns demise by signing a 3 year deal at the age of 36 and going toe to toe with him for the Number 1 jersey.

I'm disappointed with 3 keepers around the place that Battersby hasn't had more loan experience as he needs games under his belt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
forza ivano
April 24, 2022, 11:10am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Quoted from HertsGTFC

bet you we could a get a decent keeper for £2/£2.5 k a week, with Battersby as back up (wouldn't mind seeing Jake eastwood returning). there's always the possibility of getting a young keepr on a season loan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
Mariner_09
April 24, 2022, 11:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I’d have Battersby as our proper backup, release both Macca and Crocombe and go all out to sign a top keeper for this level. Same applies if we’re in the league above as well I think. We should be able to do better than both with our budget.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
Chrisblor
April 24, 2022, 11:52am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,962
Gold Stars: 239
We've got the 4th best goals against record in the league. Crocombe is more than adequate and we really don't need to be chucking money at an expensive goalkeeper. The main issue that's prevented us from competing for the title is a comparative lack of goals up the other end of the pitch (Stockport have scored 22 more than us, Wrexham 20 more, even Dagenham have managed 14 more). I'd much rather we spent some money on addressing that instead.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KjNEyje.png[/img]

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
Mike_67
April 24, 2022, 12:13pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Chrisblor
We've got the 4th best goals against record in the league. Crocombe is more than adequate and we really don't need to be chucking money at an expensive goalkeeper. The main issue that's prevented us from competing for the title is a comparative lack of goals up the other end of the pitch (Stockport have scored 22 more than us, Wrexham 20 more, even Dagenham have managed 14 more). I'd much rather we spent some money on addressing that instead.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KjNEyje.png[/img]

Couldn’t agree more. We have two keepers currently that are good for this level. With limited resources we’re far better off targeting areas of the squad that need strengthening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
HertsGTFC
April 24, 2022, 12:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
I’d have Battersby as our proper backup, release both Macca and Crocombe and go all out to sign a top keeper for this level. Same applies if we’re in the league above as well I think. We should be able to do better than both with our budget.

Get that but if the top keeper gets injured or has a dip in form/confidence what are you left with?

Also I think one of the reasons Macca has blown hot and cold is generally there’s been nobody truly credible pushing him to keep his place.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
HarrogateMariner
April 24, 2022, 1:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
I get the feeling from various things Hurst has said throughout the season that he rates Battersby. I think we will see him as proper second choice next season, probably starting cup matches. He seems to have had good reviews from managers when out on loan (including Gowling at Hereford when on an emergency loan) so we may well have a good keeper on our hands. Ultimately however he can only 'develop ' for so long before he has to be thrown into the team. For a keeper it is sink (I.e Tommy Forecast) or swim (I.e. Stevie Croudsen).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 59
DB
April 24, 2022, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Crocombe seems to be doing ok, not fantastic but acceptable. So if we are going to splash some cash let's find a proper No 9. We've got along without one, just, but we have always been a club with a proper goalscorer.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
MuddyWaters
April 24, 2022, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB
Crocombe seems to be doing ok, not fantastic but acceptable. So if we are going to splash some cash let's find a proper No 9. We've got along without one, just, but we have always been a club with a proper goalscorer.

I’m not sure how effective McAtee would be alongside an out and out striker. The Taylor McAtee partnership is critical to how we play.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 59
quebec38
April 24, 2022, 2:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Yeah what are we calling a number 9 here? Just a centre forward that scores a lot of goals? Taylor doesn’t do that but he is absolutely pivotal to everything we do going forward, you just have to accept 10 goals a season is probably your lot from him and then do everything you can to ensure players are getting forward/past him to get the goals. Clifton tried yesterday but he is no McAtee (no shame in that).

Taylor is fantastic. Wins every header, takes the ball down, keeps it in tight areas and lays it off. He’s got nastier as the season has worn on. Defenders pushed him around at the start of the season but he gives out just as much now. Works his balls off too - he was knackered again at the end yesterday.

If we got a forward to play right alongside him it would change everything. All of a sudden we’d either have to do 3 at the back or there would be no place for McAtee because we couldn’t play him with one other in central midfield. I would like to see a ruthless alternative to Taylor who sits on the shoulder and offers something different but Taylor is a great number 9 IMO.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 24, 2022, 2:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,770
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m not sure how effective McAtee would be alongside an out and out striker. The Taylor McAtee partnership is critical to how we play.

Totally agree and I believe that causes us a dilemma moving into next season. Taylor is not getting any younger and his holding of the ball and lay offs are excellent but don’t agree with another poster re winning of headers as I think he is often second best to the longer high balls from keeper and defenders and he is not great at getting on the end of crosses a la Amond with his head although he has scored with the occasional header.

Thus next season do we look for a younger version of Taylor who in addition is a little stronger aerially or do we seek an out and out striker and change our style of play?

Non of these comments are criticisms but questions PH will be facing this summer and if we stick with the Taylor style of play we will need a fit JMD getting at least ten goals and a more goals from midfield a la Dis to really threaten for top spot (should we not sneak up via the play offs).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 59
ginnywings
April 24, 2022, 2:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
PH knows we don't score enough goals, he's said so himself many times. I think the signings of JMD and Holohan were to address that problem as much as anything else they offer.  Both of them are capable of scoring and getting assists. I also think Harry is being urged to get in the box more and chip in with more goals.

We are certainly creating plenty of chances, but our chance to goal ratios needs to improve. That could be tackled by paying mega money for this level for a Tshimanga or a Mullin etc, or we can stick to the way we play now, with the excellent Taylor as the pivot and look to spread the goals around the team more.

As good as McAtee is, he's not a Podge, Hearn or Bogle goal machine, but he offers things they never did in other areas.

We are more than solid at the back as our goals against record shows, and that is with a mid season slump. In fact, over the last 12 games, we have only conceded 8 goals, which is as much down to to us being better going forward now than we were before Hurst re-invented us mid season with the newer signings.

If we can keep tight at the back, we don't always need to take all our chances, although it's better for the heart rate if we do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
louth_in_the_south
April 25, 2022, 10:03am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,710
Gold Stars: 96
After watching Wrexham on Saturday I wouldn’t be worried about playing them .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
diehardmariner
April 25, 2022, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
I just really enjoyed that game.  Two home games on the spin that I've left the ground feeling entertained, regardless of the results.  Of course wins always make it that much more sweeter.

As per the Stockport game, Town were too slow out the traps.  Torquay showed their recent form and looked one of the better sides I've seen this season.  Knocked it round well, avoided going long and losing the ball in the wind (biting wind at that!) and built up play really nicely.  In fact the only thing they seemed to lack was a mobile striker.  Wounding to see an outstanding human being like Danny Wright looking so meek and pathetic up front, of course he still managed to get a number of sly elbows in on Amos.  Interesting that he opted to target Amos and 18-year-old Smith rather than Luke Waterfall...

Goal was well deserved by the visitors and we were very lucky to go in level, unbelievably we could have gone in at the break in lead which would have felt almost embarrassing.   Despite packing the midfield we were winning nothing in there.  Holohan wasn't having his best game and I'm sorry to say but it was another stinker from Joey Jones.  I raved about him after the Chesterfield display but in the two appearances I've seen since he's looked anything but a footballer.   Lack of energy, wayward passing (actually with the odd excellent crossfield pass, but far too infrequent in comparison), positionally sits far too deep and I'm struggling to think of a slower footballer. Completely one paced.  Just before he was subbed he was out paced by Wright on the break!  I've been critical of what Giles Coke offers at this stage of his career, but it would be more than Jones' last two displays.  The return of Raikhy will be a massive improvement for a natural sitter in midfield, but Fox could and would do that role more effectively than Jones.  Don't want to be negative after a good run of form but it was like carrying a passenger.  

Second half we switched it up a bit and really should have put the game out of sight.  Again chances galore missed and I can't help having this nagging feeling that our inability to put chances away is what is going to cost us when it counts.  Definitely a positive that we continue to create so many chances, regardless of who we're up against.  But we need 10 chances for every goal we score.  

Scannell was absolutely magnificent.  Head and shoulders above everyone else just with his awareness of space alone.  Keep him fit at all costs!  Not interested in arguments about what's gone on in the previous 20 months of his GTFC career, right here and now he could be our game changer.

Felt at the time Hurst was too slow with his subs.  Maguire-Drew had been hanging most of the game, he just doesn't look right to me.  I know there's a fitness issue and he's coming back from injury but he looks really leggy and laboured at the minute.   Pleasantly surprised that Hurst added a striker to the fore when he brought Abrahams on, as said felt it was too late at the time but ultimately it worked.  Great penalty too, very composed.

Echo a few thoughts that as the season comes to a close with us hitting form and others at the top having mini-wobbles, it does make me look back at that early winter slump and wonder 'what if'.  Something like 30 points we dropped and we're only 13 off the top spot and just 5 off that 3rd placed spot to avoid an extra game.  
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 59
mimma
April 25, 2022, 2:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Think it was a game of two halves because of the wind. They had it first half, we had in second half. They also spent a lot of energy chasing us down which they couldn't keep up all game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.