FishOutOfWater
May 9, 2022, 1:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Heisenberg
I’m actually sort of inclined to stick up for Scunny here. It’s not their job to worry about the integrity of the league or any of that stuff, it’s Keith Hill’s job to think about the future of their team. He’s put the young pros into the fire to see how they manage, and whilst he might have been underwhelmed, would his stellar first team have done any better? There are arguments to say no.

And anyway, the majority of that 1st team squad will be gone, he’s probably had those conversations already - he’ll have probably got more commitment from the young ‘uns on the day.

Their budget is probably going to be modest next season, and he knows those youngsters might be relied upon more in the conference than in the league if they’d stayed up.

Keith Hill did show his hand last week on RH

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0c0s53m

3:05 or thereabouts and he says some clubs won’t be happy but that the season is not just about one game 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 71
jamesgtfc
May 9, 2022, 2:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
I think the EFL could start going through Keith Hills line-ups with a fine tooth comb and having a look at his contract because I bet he financially benefits from transfer fees of these players whilst he's manager. If the likes of Dan Gallimore, Finn Shrimpton etc decide to go somewhere else instead of signing a contract at Scunthorpe, their EFL appearances will significantly increase their tribunal fee and ultimately Mr Hills bonus.

The small matter of allegedly being due £50k for Ryan Lofts if Rovers got promoted also adds weight to things.

The rules are a recommendation and I'd hazard there are other things in there about fielding a strong team. I accept that their first team players have been terrible but on paper, they have considerably more experience and I don't think you can legitimately say first year scholars are first team players. Has this future England No1 of theirs actually played for England at any age levels or is it just more public hyperbole to boost his eventual transfer fee too?

I know the complaint is with the EFL and Scunthorpe aren't under their jurisdiction as of Saturday evening but I wouldn't be surprised to see them heavily fined and starting next season with a points deduction; if they get that far.

As for Bristol Rovers, result will probably stand but they I think they will get fined for not controlling their fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
RonMariner
May 9, 2022, 2:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,843
Gold Stars: 227
The rules say you must have ten outfield players on the team sheet (including subs) who were on the previous team sheet. Scunny did that, albeit with at least two of those players on the bench. So they adhered to the rules.

They made three changes to the starting 11, when perhaps they could have left a couple of the experienced players   in the starting line up, but there is nothing illegal about that.

So though they undoubtedly put out a very weak team, it was within the rules.  Just.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
RonMariner
May 9, 2022, 2:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,843
Gold Stars: 227
Be interesting to learn more regarding the Ryan Lofts payment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
Abdul19
May 9, 2022, 4:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 220
If Northampton hadn't conceded a goal when they were 3-0 up on Saturday they'd have been promoted.

Moan as much as you like lads, I'd be 1-10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 the result stands.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
Gaffer58
May 9, 2022, 4:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RonMariner
Be interesting to learn more regarding the Ryan Lofts payment.

I hear there going through the roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
TownSNAFU5
May 9, 2022, 4:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
The club have insulated themselves from any criticism.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 9, 2022, 6:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,310
Gold Stars: 309
Didn't he used to be a central defender, then he became a striker.

That was a Lofts conversion.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 9, 2022, 6:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,310
Gold Stars: 309
His fee can't go above 50k. There's a ceiling on it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
pen penfras
May 9, 2022, 8:42pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RonMariner
The rules say you must have ten outfield players on the team sheet (including subs) who were on the previous team sheet. Scunny did that, albeit with at least two of those players on the bench. So they adhered to the rules.

They made three changes to the starting 11, when perhaps they could have left a couple of the experienced players   in the starting line up, but there is nothing illegal about that.

So though they undoubtedly put out a very weak team, it was within the rules.  Just.

Not sure that's true. A few years back, a PL team (I think Wolves) were fined for fielding a weakened side against one of the top teams when they had a 6 pointer a few days later. Don't know if those rules still apply or are valid in the EFL, but unlikely to be anything come of it since they've been doing that for weeks and not just that game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bristol Rovers/Scunny/Northampton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.