This thread currently has 2,434 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
June 3, 2022, 11:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,276
Gold Stars: 103
So who would you swap out? I’ve got to say there’s not many I would. This team seems to have a decent balance as mentioned earlier. Up front we are very different but probably fairly even. Likewise at the back.

Tell you one thing though it’s be a decent game between the two sides

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 19
ginnywings
June 4, 2022, 12:05am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
So who would you swap out? I’ve got to say there’s not many I would. This team seems to have a decent balance as mentioned earlier. Up front we are very different but probably fairly even. Likewise at the back.

You'd have to make room for Disley.

Don't know who he would replace though. Probably Holahan from the current set up.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 19
Norseman
June 4, 2022, 12:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I think Tait ,Toto,Robertson ,Nolan ,Disley Bogle, and almond would have a good shout for selection
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 19
Mighty_Mariner
June 4, 2022, 12:32am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,244
Gold Stars: 10
My combined best XI I reckon;

Macca (pre this season version)

Tait
Toto
Gowling
Amos

Disley
Clifton
Nolan

McAtee
Podge
Arnold

Bench:
Waterfall
Holohan
Smith
Manni
Bogle

That was tougher than I thought actually but shows what a god team 2016 was, and just how well Hursty has done to build the current inside one season, considering this is probably the 3rd or 4th version of the team we’ve seen this year!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 19
chaos33
June 4, 2022, 2:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
You’d have Gowling over Waterfall? I wouldn’t.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 19
HertsGTFC
June 4, 2022, 8:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from chaos33
You’d have Gowling over Waterfall? I wouldn’t.

I really liked Gowling when he played for us as a player and person, Waterfall has done better though.

One thing to note/question to pose. We’ll never be able to tell but how well would the 2016 Team have done in a much more competitive and overall better standard of National League in 2021/22?

For what it’s worth….

Macca in for Max
Tait ahead of Cropper
Dis for Gav
Nolan for Clifton
Arnold for Sousa

Controversy I guess is that I wouldn’t pick Podge & Bogle that’s purely based upon Taylor & McAtee not really putting a foot wrong this term.

This is pure make it up stuff, overall I think the current team is better in terms of blend and certainly when the best 11 are out the ability to break sides down as they have more than one way of playing.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 19
GollyGTFC
June 4, 2022, 8:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
Some might think this is controversial, but Craig Clay returning to the side was the biggest factor in us turning around the 1st Leg deficit and then winning the Final. We were a much better side with him in the team that season than without him.

He started 31 league games (29 league & 2 play-offs)...
Won 17 (54.8%)
Drew 8
Lost 6 (19.4%)

The 18 games (17 league & 1 play-off) where he didn't start...
Won 7 (38.9%)
Drew 6
Lost 5 (27.8%)

Compare that to the much heralded Jon Nolan who started 17 league & all 3 play-off matches...
Won 9 (45%)
Drew 4
Lost 7 (35%)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 19
GollyGTFC
June 4, 2022, 8:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
Any way, my combined XI...

Crocombe
Tait    Waterfall    Nsiala    Robertson
Arnold       Clay        Fox       Nolan
          McAtee         Bogle

Subs: Gowling, Disley, Sousa, Amond & Taylor
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 19
LH
June 4, 2022, 8:44am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,599
Gold Stars: 177
Not much between the two squads and this season’s probably shades it with a stronger bench. I bet Hurst would love to have to pick two or three of Bogle, Amond, McAtee and Taylor though.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 19
Spurn boy
June 4, 2022, 5:32pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 31
I think the main difference between the 2 teams is the confidence that tomorrow’s team have at the moment, the never give up mentality of the present team maybe makes up for their skill levels of 2016 team, I’m so optimistic that this team will not disappoint tomorrow and I don’t believe Hursty will allow them to, the big thing I have noticed in recent games is the introduction of subs at a much earlier stage of the game if things were not going to plan which was very much against what Hursty wanted earlier in the season.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Play Off Finals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.