This thread currently has 4,121 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
June 5, 2022, 8:32pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
Finally we have another annus mirabilis but which one was better? In both seasons we bounced straight back from relegation. In both with a manager in his second spell. In both we beat the moneybags favourites in the semis. In 1998 we won 2 trophies, but for sheer drama 2022 has to win it?

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
grimps
June 5, 2022, 8:35pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
In 98 I expected us to bounce straight back , in those days we was an established championship side that had slipped down a division.
We also had 3 great cup runs playing a few Premiership teams.

Being totally honest until we beat Notts County I didn’t think we was going to do it , after that match I started to believe.
If we’d failed to beat County I’m not so sure this would have ever been remembered as a great season , if we’d lost to Northampton  I think 98 would still have been a great season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
topuphere666
June 5, 2022, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
2022. Purely based on the whole backstory of ownership change, a town pulling together and the unbreakable attitude shown in the last 3 games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
cmackenzie4
June 5, 2022, 8:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
The transformation at this club in the last 12 months makes this promotion better for me, especially with it being done at the first attempt. This club is on the way up.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
bobbyturtle
June 5, 2022, 8:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
so difficult to compare. just so happy we have both times

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
June 5, 2022, 8:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from grimps
In 98 expected us to bounce straight back , in those days we was an established championship side that had slipped down a division.
We also had 3 great cup runs playing a few Premiership teams.

Being totally honest until we beat Notts County I didn’t think we was going to do it , after that match I started to believe

This, the way this playoffs has turned out is something so far fetched it wouldve never crossed my mind. I said before the playoffs there was a bit of spark or magic in this squad that meant we always had a chance against any team. But we took it to another level in these playoffs, it was like everything finally clicked into place at once. I dont think anyone will have overcome bigger odds stacked against them in any play offs anywhere, albiet part of that is down to this unique playoff system
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
ginnywings
June 5, 2022, 8:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Has to be this season.

The team last season was as bad as I can ever remember and probably the worst Town side ever. They would have struggled to stay in this division and Hurst has rebuilt us from scratch, not once but twice in one season.

The team of the mid season slump was transformed and have gone on to achieve what I thought was nigh on impossible.

The defence transformed with Amos, Smith and Cropper. Crocombe promoted to No1. Holahan and JMD bringing more goals and assists to the team. Fox coming back better than ever.

Massive kudos to PH having us top of the league after a third of the season, but even more kudos to re-invent the team the way he did.

I don't know where he keeps finding these players but I know he travels hundreds of miles and watches countless games trying to better the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
Spurn boy
June 5, 2022, 8:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
To have the chance to see Town play at Wembley not once but twice that year and win both games was something special but the three play off games this season and securing promotion was a bigger task, but for me as I was at both 1998 games I would choose them.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
Swansea_Mariner
June 5, 2022, 8:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Not to detract from the brilliant achievement this season but that 98 team was just a different  class. Wasn't it a 68 game season, we even beat a premier league team in the cup.

Wore my 98 Wembley shirt today, great to see so many of those still being worn a quarter of a century later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
It Bites
June 5, 2022, 8:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
98 every time . The first ever visit to Wembley and to follow it up with a playoff win was incredible. Don't forget the semi final win over Fulham .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 1998 or 2022

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.