Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contract talk…
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 150 Guests

Contract talk…

This thread currently has 7,422 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
June 18, 2022, 2:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from buckstown
All this talk of consecutive promotions has got me all of a quiver!
My aspiration this season is to be well clear of the drop zone by October, then have a look how far we’re away from the play offs

If we are well clear of the drop zone we’ll be in the playoff hunt. Some seasons 1.5ppg is enough for 7th spot in L2.

The good thing about this division is that you have to be proper dogshït to get relegated and can still be pretty average and be in the mix for a playoff place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
Mariner_09
June 18, 2022, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55

If we are well clear of the drop zone we’ll be in the playoff hunt. Some seasons 1.5ppg is enough for 7th spot in L2.

The good thing about this division is that you have to be proper dogshït to get relegated and can still be pretty average and be in the mix for a playoff place.

We were pretty average in 2016-17 (other than Omar) and were in and around the playoffs until he left. 1-2 players who are a bit better than everyone else at this level will make all the difference. I know it’s early days but we seem to be making much better progress with signings/re-signings than we did last time we got promoted. Last time, after we’d fallen out with everyone who wasn’t going to re-sign and worked our way down to 14th and 15th on Hursty’s priority list, we were already fighting an uphill battle. Certainly think we have the capability to get in and around the top 7.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
Heisenberg
June 18, 2022, 3:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,115
Gold Stars: 97
There’s nothing wrong with ambition, but this talk of back-to-back promotions is very brave! Possibly foolhardy. I look forward to people quoting me in a years time pointing out that I was wrong!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
DB
June 18, 2022, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Heisenberg
There’s nothing wrong with ambition, but this talk of back-to-back promotions is very brave! Possibly foolhardy. I look forward to people quoting me in a years time pointing out that I was wrong!

At beginning of last season, my message was "Going Up". On the night of the 5th June 2022 my message was "Going Up to League 1"

I'm not particularly brave or foolhardy but I know a good thing when I see one, however, I am optimistic and enthusiastic. The club is fully motivated as are the fans, so let's cut out the negatives. It's not going to be a smooth ride but league 1 here we come.

Edit.
Just this from Luke Waterfall  

"It's a club that's going forward quickly with the new owners and obviously the manager [Paul Hurst], Chris Doig and the rest of the staff."

Says it all.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
chaos33
June 18, 2022, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
We need to think pragmatically. If we can consolidate, that would be great. This is a level up. There are some clubs with lots of money.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
MuddyWaters
June 18, 2022, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33
We need to think pragmatically. If we can consolidate, that would be great. This is a level up. There are some clubs with lots of money.

Ambition is great but needs to be tempered with reality. As with last season, a top half finish would be decent, a play off spot would be great (and we know what can happen from there) and another promotion would be amazing.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
ginnywings
June 18, 2022, 6:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33

As there was last season, but we bested them all, Stockport apart, and then they didn't beat us in 2 games against us.

3 promotion spots to aim for and another 4 play off spots without the weighted advantage of finishing higher up being beneficial, as in non league. Not that it made a difference to us in the end.

It's easier to get promoted from League 2 than it is the National League. If we recruit some better players than last season to fill the gaps, then why not?

I'm optimistic, but not going to go into meltdown if we do have a season of consolidation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
DB
June 18, 2022, 6:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ambition is great but needs to be tempered with reality. As with last season, a top half finish would be decent, a play off spot would be great (and we know what can happen from there) and another promotion would be amazing.

I'm looking for amazing. Going up, AGAIN

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
June 18, 2022, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33

I think that would have been a good thing for Solihull to say, had they beaten us.

However, with circa 5000 season tickets sold it is obvious we will add a lot of quality to an already good squad (assuming most re-sign) and another promotion is very much what we should be aiming for.

We will go into this season member a hoop and with a confidence not seen in two decades; if things go against us and we HAVE to consolidate then fair enough but I would not be surprised in the slightest if we get back-to-back promotions.

We too have the money to make it happen on the field. 5000 season ticket sales will be the envy of most league 2 clubs and basically, full houses for the season will surprise many.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
forza ivano
June 18, 2022, 7:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from DB

At beginning of last season, my message was "Going Up". On the night of the 5th June 2022 my message was "Going Up to League 1"

I'm not particularly brave or foolhardy but I know a good thing when I see one, however, I am optimistic and enthusiastic. The club is fully motivated as are the fans, so let's cut out the negatives. It's not going to be a smooth ride but league 1 here we come.

Edit.
Just this from Luke Waterfall  

"It's a club that's going forward quickly with the new owners and obviously the manager [Paul Hurst], Chris Doig and the rest of the staff."

Says it all.

every player says that once they've signed a 2 year deal,in their 30's. sorry to be cynical , but its the truth
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contract talk…

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.