aldi_01
August 1, 2022, 7:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from It Bites
What's the average attendance in the Women's Prem ? It will take more than a euro win to make it

I think the cost of tickets for the tournament should also highlight the levels footballs are exploited…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 249
Poojah
August 1, 2022, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from It Bites
What's the average attendance in the Women's Prem ? It will take more than a euro win to make it

It's been between 2,000 and 3,000 in recent years, so somewhere in between the National League proper and its regional sub-divisions if you want to make a comparison with the men's game.

So yeah, domestically it's absolutely nowhere near the male equivalent and realistically it will never be on an even keel but you have to consider the trajectory its on and the fact the WSL has only been fully professional for a couple of seasons. Within the next decade I think we might start to see average gates close to the current League Two average, which would be some progress.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 249
darren9
August 1, 2022, 8:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
There’s some fragile male egos in this thread but that’s nothing new on the fishy is it?

Comments comparing the woman's game to the mens in terms of exposure doesn’t help. Of course the woman’s game isn’t as established as the mens. For the moment it isn’t about being as recognisable or as rich as the men it’s about having the opportunity. We haven’t been forced to watch the tournament. We’ve done it because we want to. Because it’s given us a feeling of pride.

England won a major tournament on home soil last night. They did it with a fantastic 2-0 (it was actually 2-1 wasn’t it? How can I forget that?) win over a Germany. They did it with confidence and pride. Can’t we let them have 1 day where we let them celebrate?

The win isn’t the end goal, it’s just the beginning. It’s hopefully the start of a change in attitudes. Where young girls do have the opportunity to play football at a young level and develop all the way through to becoming professionals. Young girls now have role models, winners who they can look up to. People like them.

Mens football at times is toxic. Compare the inclusion in this tournament to the mens euros last year. There have been no fights (that I know of) there has been no rushing the gates to get in. No flares up the bum. No cocked up a*seholes, no ‘hilarious’ yet massively offensive songs about wars, no pitch invasions.  I know people who have attended the games (especially the final) and they’ve said the atmosphere in the stadiums was fantastic. If we had lost you can be sure there wouldn’t be effigies of the players hanging from lampposts, there wouldn’t be threatening and abusive messages sent to them accusing them of “letting the nation down”. They wouldn’t be boo’d playing for their club teams.

Instead of the woman’s game imitating the mens it should be allowed to keep these core beliefs and to grow.

It’s not a case of the mens game vs the woman’s There’s enough passion on football to have both. Let’s enjoy it for what it is. As lower league fans we should be more aware that it isn’t a case of mens vs woman’s. The woman's game can’t compare to the mens for reach and exposure in the same way that league 2 can’t compete with the premier league. But it’s absolutely fantastic that we’ve had some exposure and the nation have had the opportunity to back the team.

The Lionesses have achieved something incredible. They are the champions of Europe. Let’s be proud of them.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 249
jamesgtfc
August 1, 2022, 9:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from darren9
There’s some fragile male egos in this thread but that’s nothing new on the fishy is it?

Comments comparing the woman's game to the mens in terms of exposure doesn’t help. Of course the woman’s game isn’t as established as the mens. For the moment it isn’t about being as recognisable or as rich as the men it’s about having the opportunity. We haven’t been forced to watch the tournament. We’ve done it because we want to. Because it’s given us a feeling of pride.

England won a major tournament on home soil last night. They did it with a fantastic 2-0 win over a Germany. They did it with confidence and pride. Can’t we let them have 1 day where we let them celebrate?

The win isn’t the end goal, it’s just the beginning. It’s hopefully the start of a change in attitudes. Where young girls do have the opportunity to play football at a young level and develop all the way through to becoming professionals. Young girls now have role models, winners who they can look up to. People like them.

Mens football at times is toxic. Compare the inclusion in this tournament to the mens euros last year. There have been no fights (that I know of) there has been no rushing the gates to get in. No flares up the bum. No cocked up a*seholes, no ‘hilarious’ yet massively offensive songs about wars, no pitch invasions.  I know people who have attended the games (especially the final) and they’ve said the atmosphere in the stadiums was fantastic. If we had lost you can be sure there wouldn’t be effigies of the players hanging from lampposts, there wouldn’t be threatening and abusive messages sent to them accusing them of “letting the nation down”. They wouldn’t be boo’d playing for their club teams.

Instead of the woman’s game imitating the mens it should be allowed to keep these core beliefs and to grow.

It’s not a case of the mens game vs the woman’s There’s enough passion on football to have both. Let’s enjoy it for what it is. As lower league fans we should be more aware that it isn’t a case of mens vs woman’s. The woman's game can’t compare to the mens for reach and exposure in the same way that league 2 can’t compete with the premier league. But it’s absolutely fantastic that we’ve had some exposure and the nation have had the opportunity to back the team.

The Lionesses have achieved something incredible. They are the champions of Europe. Let’s be proud of them.

Apart from getting the scoreline wrong, that is a very powerful statement. I've been to 6 games and enjoyed every single one of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 233 - 249
darren9
August 1, 2022, 9:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +607
Gold Stars: 39
Ah excrement. Is it too late to edit? I blanked the Germany goal out of my mind. (Selective memory)

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 249
aldi_01
August 1, 2022, 9:11am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’ve heard a lot banging on about no play acting or time wasting etc…I wonder, if over time, with the continued financial investment and greater financial rewards available this will just creep its way in like it did in the mens game.

Comparisons are futile. The mens game is established and one of the most talked about, viewed and participated sports in the world.

To me, whilst the fundamentals are similar, much like rugby league and rugby union, the two are very different…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 249
jamesgtfc
August 1, 2022, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from darren9
Ah excrement. Is it too late to edit? I blanked the Germany goal out of my mind. (Selective memory)

Very powerful statement that though.

As a squad number nerd, I do have a gripe with Leah Williamson wearing 8 and playing CB. France had a player called Karchaoui who was an LB wearing 7. Iceland had their 9 at RB in one game too. Renard, an absolute rock at the back for France played CB wearing 3. On the subject of Renard, Poojah pointed out how tall Jill Scott looked at 5ft11 yesterday. Renard is 6ft2 and towered over everyone in the 4 France games I watched live.

Maybe the women are just a lot more versatile than their male counterparts? Leah Williamson going on a mazy run
into midfield from CB did cause problems all tournament and reminded me of our very own Shaun Pearson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 249
Rick12
August 1, 2022, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Well done England women on winning the Euros . Still cant get into women's football but I certainly admire the collective and individual  effort that helped achieved them win this trophy. Likewise I hope this inspires more girls to take up a more active lifestyle.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 249
LondonMariner43
August 1, 2022, 10:08am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from darren9

England won a major tournament on home soil last night. They did it with a fantastic 2-0 (it was actually 2-1 wasn’t it? How can I forget that?) win over a Germany. They did it with confidence and pride. Can’t we let them have 1 day where we let them celebrate?

Excellent post.  I didn't know that much about the women's team before the tournament and I didn't watch every minute of the games  but I got drawn in more and more as the tournament went on.  The hammering of Norway was when I first starting to realise that this team could do something special.  The final was the first game that I've watched all the way through and I really enjoyed it, though I didn't like the way Germany played - too many deliberate fouls and niggles.  The atmosphere at Wembley looked amazing.  I don't know who all the players are, but I don't always know all the men's England team because I don't take much interest in the Premiership.  However, I'm starting to get to know who some of them are because of the great performances they put in - not least the keeper, Earps, who I thought was top class at dealing with crosses - there was one corner or free kick where there seemed to be about 3 players between her and the ball and she somehow took a clean catch when a lot of keepers would have punched it out.

At times the England men's team just seems like a bunch of overpaid prima donnas.  Watching Town in the lower leagues means I feel much more supportive of a team who have really had to battle to make a career in football.

It would be great if the women's game could grow and become a role model for the men's game. I'd like to see a bit less money in the men's game to be honest, a bit less self-importance and a few less drunked up/ drugged up fans creating havoc at a Wembley final.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 249
Limerick Mariner
August 1, 2022, 10:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from aldi_01
I’ve heard a lot banging on about no play acting or time wasting etc…I wonder, if over time, with the continued financial investment and greater financial rewards available this will just creep its way in like it did in the mens game.

Comparisons are futile. The mens game is established and one of the most talked about, viewed and participated sports in the world.

To me, whilst the fundamentals are similar, much like rugby league and rugby union, the two are very different…

I thought they did pretty good job with the last 10 mins last night. Not at the Orient level, or Crocombe's Cramp, which was the one of best bit of shithousery I've seen from someone who isn't German or Italian. Some of that will inevitably come into the game as the financial rewards rise. It happens in every high level professional team sport. Rugby union players generally don't feign injury but the feck-arsing about with the scrums is a skilled time wasting tactic. One thing we won't have the toxicity that come's into the mens game as per the excellent post above.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 239 - 249
25 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Women’s football

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.