Neilo83
July 8, 2022, 6:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
Who's red crossing these happy posts. Old brigade still walk  amoungst us....

Worst feature ever to be put on here, totally unnecessary.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
ginnywings
July 8, 2022, 6:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GyMariner

It’s certainly been an excellent reaction. But in reality I think we are just getting closer to how a professional football club should be run!!

Exactly.

It took PH a few seasons to get us out of non league last time, in spite of JF, not because of him and it was to his great credit that he did it without much in the way of backroom staff. JF famously said "when does a strength and conditioning coach get you 3 points on a Saturday".

Last season showed the benefits of having a good set up, because when the business end of the season came, we were fit and strong enough to prevail.

Coke seems a good egg all round and I think he originally came here at his own expense to get a deal after some kind of contract dispute with Hereford, so chuffed for him and I bet he's glad he took that gamble now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
chaos33
July 8, 2022, 6:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
Who's red crossing these happy posts. Old brigade still walk  amoungst us....

I’ve no idea and was thinking the same myself after my post got 3 red crosses.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
ginnywings
July 8, 2022, 6:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
His role is an interesting one. Working with a development squad between the youth and first team and also helping out with senior players. One of his roles is advising players about life after football and player care, which shows what a different organisation we now are.

PH and the owners must have been well impressed with him to keep him on as they have. I presume he will be getting his badges as he goes?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Mighty_Mariner
July 8, 2022, 7:04pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,244
Gold Stars: 10
I think it’s extremely telling about the group, atmosphere and culture the club is building that Giles says our promotion was the ‘best day of his career’ considering the clubs he’s been at and career he’s had. I know players say all sorts but I genuinely believe him.

Buzzing to have him back!!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
Kris2
July 8, 2022, 7:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Similar to Ben Davies, an older pro who was good to have around and showed those mentoring qualities needed to move into coaching. Has a lot of respect from the players as an older head who had been there and done it in football and just a really good guy who will help anyone out, drove many players to and from work. Seems like he's quite popular with all the staff at the club and he was quite complimentary of everyone who works at the club when being released so think a lot of people will be happy he'll be staying on as staff.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Zmariner
July 8, 2022, 7:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
His Celebrations after the final win were great. Not sure if he knew he was staying then but I have been impressed with him all the way down the track. Not fussy, gets on with it and actually looked a decent player.
Strikes me as an excellent decision
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
Heisenberg
July 8, 2022, 7:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,105
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Zmariner
His Celebrations after the final win were great. Not sure if he knew he was staying then but I have been impressed with him all the way down the track. Not fussy, gets on with it and actually looked a decent player.
Strikes me as an excellent decision

I’m really pleased with how we’re turning ourselves round, and bringing quality staff in to become a proper club, possibly for the first time this century. It’s awesome. But let me stop you there - Coke was unanimously slagged off last season for “slowing the game down”, and generally being not good enough.

His best days were gone, and it’s time for him to be a coach, and he’ll no doubt be really good, but I’d be surprised if a single one of us thought he was a “decent player” during our promotion season.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
HertsGTFC
July 8, 2022, 8:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
This is a great appointment and the role is just another piece of great infrastructure building by the club and a role that will support having a bigger squad.

What did Jason say recently? (Paraphrase) “organisations become successful with the right people, process and behaviours” well this ticks all of these boxes.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
Neilo83
July 8, 2022, 8:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +17 / -6
Approval: +263
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m really pleased with how we’re turning ourselves round, and bringing quality staff in to become a proper club, possibly for the first time this century. It’s awesome. But let me stop you there - Coke was unanimously slagged off last season for “slowing the game down”, and generally being not good enough.

His best days were gone, and it’s time for him to be a coach, and he’ll no doubt be really good, but I’d be surprised if a single one of us thought he was a “decent player” during our promotion season.

Strange post, he played an important part in it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Giles Coke

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.