7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
acko338
July 13, 2022, 11:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
"Just back" from Tenerife may take on a different meaning after the training sessions there.

Town fans on hols - just nipping to the shop, love, and 3 hours later returning in their Town tops after spying and reporting back here on Spanish Senor A,B, C and D trialists on show ??

If new signings have a sun tan in their interview????

The "Tenerife project" swayed me ????

Seriously though, is it better to have a break for some warm weather training, than play here on rock hard pitches, and risk more injuries and niggles?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
Rick12
July 13, 2022, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from acko338
"Just back" from Tenerife may take on a different meaning after the training sessions there.

Seriously though, is it better to have a break for some warm weather training, than play here on rock hard pitches, and risk more injuries and niggles?
My view as well eg yes it's a good idea to fly out somewhere  and change the environment. Having said that surprised a bit that clubs like Grimsby can afford it. Maybe a new idea by the board possibly splashing the cash a bit more in areas that will help improve on field result's ?.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
MuddyWaters
July 13, 2022, 1:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Rick12
My view as well eg yes it's a good idea to fly out somewhere  and change the environment. Having said that surprised a bit that clubs like Grimsby can afford it. Maybe a new idea by the board possibly splashing the cash a bit more in areas that will help improve on field result's ?.

There’s all sorts of benefits of a training camp. Not least the ability to bond, our first opponents have just had one so the affordability is a bit of a myth too. Paul Hurst’s Shrewsbury team were in Portugal before their near promotion season so I guess it’s something he’s asked for out of the approximate million quid we got for promotion.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
Rick12
July 13, 2022, 3:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There’s all sorts of benefits of a training camp. .
I think whatever gives you a edge will help .Looking at it from another level take Real Madrid for instance. I know they have the finances  but they are next level. Players there usually train twice a day eg morning and afternoon sessions with their own flats inside the training complex so they can rest and recuperate between am and pm. Money talks .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
jamesgtfc
July 13, 2022, 3:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Rick12

I think the quick turnaround has something to do with it too, a bit of a reward for those we've retained as they be only had 3-4 weeks off. I wonder how it costs compared to Mottram Hall where we went last summer and if we will have a game out there?

If we have a game out there, it probably poses a different test for our players but most importantly, it takes the players out of their comfort zone, away from their partners and forces everyone to get to know one another.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
mimma
July 13, 2022, 3:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Hope they're not flying from Doncaster!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
Rick12
July 13, 2022, 4:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think the quick turnaround has something to do with it too, a bit of a reward for those we've retained as they be only had 3-4 weeks off. I wonder how it costs compared to Mottram Hall where we went last summer and if we will have a game out there?

If we have a game out there, it probably poses a different test for our players but most importantly, it takes the players out of their comfort zone, away from their partners and forces everyone to get to know one another.
I think James it's a good idea and a step up in professionalism money permitted.

I know from other pre season bonding trips things don't always go to plan. Roy Keane for instance back in 2009 took his Ipswich squad to military training with the parachute regiment. By all accounts the army pushed them too hard and Roy  Keane could tell the players were struggling and in his words the view on the players faces expressed it all "if you think we're getting promoted on this your in trouble".

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
lukeo
July 13, 2022, 5:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from Rick12
I think whatever gives you a edge will help .

Since when did flying to Tenerife get you three points on a Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
DB
July 13, 2022, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from lukeo

But going to Mottram Hall got us promotion.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
Rick12
July 13, 2022, 6:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

Change of environment and breaking the monotony of living in England. From hearing interviews from some of the top players who are use to this many like and appreciate it as well. They tend to come back more refreshed and eager to do well. Hence a happy player is a dangerous one as thats when he tends to perform at his best.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tenerife

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.