3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TheultimateMariner
July 16, 2022, 9:49am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Just wanted to gather peoples thoughts on this subject…
I’ve been thinking since last season (at risk of sounding jealous) about Stockport’s astronomical spending, that only seems to be increasing.
I just personally feel, that given the financial troubles they’ve had in the past, that their fan base might be a bit more wary of all this money being pumped in. As we know with our friends down the 180, if a chairman has enough, they’ll cut as much funding as possible and likely drag the club down with it.

Like I said, without trying to sound jealous, I’m aware the chairman is a fan, but just thought their fans might be a bit more cautious, as in the long run, if stupid money is getting spent, the chairmen normally want their money back (fan or not) and could send them spiralling into oblivion again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
July 16, 2022, 9:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Isn’t their owner obscenely wealthy and success, and a Stockport fan to boot? Not sure it’s like their situation previously and I’d imagine that whilst they’re spending a lot, they’re trying to build on something and take the club as far as possible…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
thefish
July 16, 2022, 10:40am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
It’s Wrexham that should be worried…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
toontown
July 16, 2022, 10:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Iam pretty sure he is not a Stockport fan, however I believe he has converted all the money given to shares so the club owe him nothing. Seems they are very lucky to have him
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
jamesgtfc
July 16, 2022, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Stockwood knows him and has openly said he's a good guy but has a different philosophy to him. I would be more worried if I were a Wrexham or Crawley fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
quebec38
July 16, 2022, 11:04am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I don’t know much about the Stockport situation but it does all sound fairly good tbf. Although rather baffling, Wrexham have become another plaything in the more traditional sense.

I get being excited at Scunthorpe a decade or so ago but the Crawley stuff is scary and I think as a fan they should be worried. Crypto, NFTs… it has disaster written all over it.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
FPVmariner
July 16, 2022, 11:22am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 23
Always liked Stockport, and Wrexham to be fair, both proper old clubs with a loyal fan base.  As one of the posters inferred above, I’d worry about the future if I were a Wrexham fan, I just don’t see the Hollywood boys being in it for the long haul.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
ginnywings
July 16, 2022, 11:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
I'm just enjoying what's happening here, with the feeling that not only are we on the up, but that those at the helm are trustworthy and won't be leaving us in a financial mess.

And before they came along, the previous regime always kept us financially stable, even if that was all they achieved.

Fans are at the whim of the owners, so I just hope the other clubs mentioned don't end up in financial straits at some point.

The Crawley lot are talking about taking them to the Premier League, even though they only started with 700 season ticket holders. Seems unsustainable and built on sand to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Swansea_Mariner
July 16, 2022, 11:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,473
Gold Stars: 63
I honestly think the Wrexham issue is pretty low risk. RR has an extremely elevated public profile, and unlike a lot of his peers it's a carefully built brand, seems a genuinely nice guy and he's obscenely rich to boot. I can't see him risking tarnishing that brand for the sake of a few million, leaving a small community high and dry.

Out of all the 'projects' you see they've got really lucky  with their owners I feel.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
jamesgtfc
July 16, 2022, 12:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm just enjoying what's happening here, with the feeling that not only are we on the up, but that those at the helm are trustworthy and won't be leaving us in a financial mess.

And before they came along, the previous regime always kept us financially stable, even if that was all they achieved.

Fans are at the whim of the owners, so I just hope the other clubs mentioned don't end up in financial straits at some point.

The Crawley lot are talking about taking them to the Premier League, even though they only started with 700 season ticket holders. Seems unsustainable and built on sand to me.

I read a BBC article the other day and Crawley's annual shirt sales are less than our opening day sales of this seasons home shirt!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Money

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.