2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
UTMariners
July 19, 2022, 9:26am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
I've seen a few apparent experts online recently predicting we will be circling the relegation zone come the end of the season.  Quite happy that we seem to be under the radar again, and hope this helps motivate the players like it did in the play offs.  I recall in 2017/18 Accrington put together a squad with team spirit and togetherness which culminated in a finish which most wouldn't have predicted for them!

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 19, 2022, 9:55am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 122
It is what it is.

As long as we dont get relegated, we will still be in the right place to build a team for the following seasons, although the majority of our new players are on a minimum of 2 year contracts, so next season Hurst might not have to dip into the transfer market quite as much as this year, as long as they all perform to the required standard.

Now having 4 of the players who were in the National League Players of the Season team, the future is looking rosey

Personally I think we will be mid table which isnt bad for our first season back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
aldi_01
July 19, 2022, 10:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from UTMariners
I've seen a few apparent experts online recently predicting we will be circling the relegation zone come the end of the season.  Quite happy that we seem to be under the radar again, and hope this helps motivate the players like it did in the play offs.  I recall in 2017/18 Accrington put together a squad with team spirit and togetherness which culminated in a finish which most wouldn't have predicted for them!

Online experts = spotty virgins that read Mundial once…

I can think of at least 3 teams I’d say are nailed on for a relegation battle…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
diehardmariner
July 19, 2022, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Who was the last team to come up and go straight back down again?

Generally promoted sides tend to do quite well coming into League Two, at a guess I'd say more so than any other league in England.  Last year was the toughest Conference I can remember in terms of depth and sheer financial power that clubs had, at least 4 clubs that were spending in a way that would have put most League Two sides to shame.  

We overcame that and for my money we've strengthened.  Fox was a loss but, on paper, Green looks an improvement.  We've added one of the best defenders we came up against and some extra threat from wide.  I don't think we're the finished article and I still think we're short of a couple of additions to challenge at the top.  But relegation fodder?  Not a chance.  
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
Jarmo.Is.God
July 19, 2022, 10:34am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
to be fair, we was underdogs last season.
Only Chris Hargreaves predicted us to go up, and i think we all know why he did....

Even during the play-offs, they was all assuming we was just going to lose the next match.

Made it all that more sweet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
arryarryarry
July 19, 2022, 10:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from UTMariners

Are you referring to actual experts or some of the muppets that have youtube channels and think they are?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
lew chaterleys lover
July 19, 2022, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,759
Gold Stars: 237
To be fair to this explosion of "experts" or geeks as they are known is all they have ever seen is GTFC being relegated, just avoiding relegation or playing in the NL.

It's a shame but we have basically got to rebuild our reputation with a generation who just see us as basically rubbish.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Poojah
July 19, 2022, 11:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
To be fair to this explosion of "experts" or geeks as they are known is all they have ever seen is GTFC being relegated, just avoiding relegation or playing in the NL.

It's a shame but we have basically got to rebuild our reputation with a generation who just see us as basically rubbish.

History will always be used as a reference point to benchmark expected performance, and we’ve been consistently a bottom third (at best) side in our most recent League Two seasons.

From the outside looking in we’re still unfashionable old bottom feeding Grimsby, playing at the decaying and decrepit Blundell Park, but the reality is that we are absolutely incomparable as a club from the one which sauntered so calamitously into the non-league abyss a little over a year ago.

We’re going to surprise a few people this year, I think.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
DB
July 19, 2022, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from UTMariners

They obviously haven't done their homework. If they had they would have realised that the club is not the one Fenty sold, but one that is going places, a phoenix rising from the rabbit burrows of Blundell Park to a pitch with a new sprinkler system. I could go on but the difference is dynamic between what we had and what we've now got. Experts???, would pay then tuppence and as for where we'll be come at the end of the season, well you already know my view.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
diehardmariner
July 19, 2022, 11:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
They're not experts, far from it.  It's lazy analysis.

They've seen we've yo-yoed in and out of League Two in recent history, finished fairly far down the pecking order in the Conference and that's the level of their research.

I saw one the other day that had us and Crawley to go down. That's Crawley who have done some serious recruitment this summer, including the signing of a guy who bagged 25 in 37 in the very same league last season.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Underdogs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.