petethemariner
July 25, 2022, 12:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from moss_side_mariner

Did you play for Ross reserves in the early/mid 80s? With the likes of Bry Goodwin, Robbie Butler?

I'm intrigued to know how you knew that! Was you part of the team? c'ant imagine someone  witith the name Moss Side Mariner would know about Ross Sports in the eighties without a personal connection, would be pleased to hear!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 85
Mallyner
July 25, 2022, 6:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Until I opened a business in 1975, that tied me every weekend, I used to play for various teams in different legues, but my favourite as I was one of the best players, which wasn't difficult, was playing in the Sunday league for Weelsby Rovers, home ground Sydney Park.

It was run by Barry Wattam and his Dad Jack played until a very old age, I remember playing a lovely ball to Jack, who despite tearing down the wing as fast as he could didn't catch it; and Barry said,"You should have played that ball 30 years ago Malc."

I broke my leg and dislocated my ankle in a training session in Weelsby Woods; and I knew it was bad, but Fred Camburn who didn't tried to lift me up saying I would be ok. 7 weeks later and after being in plaster for 6. I went to watch them at Bradley and they only had 6 or 7 players, so with my previously broken leg with muscle wastage, only half as wide as the good one, so they could play I volunteered to go in goal. Mercifully I survived.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 85
moss_side_mariner
July 25, 2022, 8:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from petethemariner

I'm intrigued to know how you knew that! Was you part of the team? c'ant imagine someone  witith the name Moss Side Mariner would know about Ross Sports in the eighties without a personal connection, would be pleased to hear!

Yes Pete, I was in the double winning team 83/84. Had to stop playing a year or so later due to ill health. It was great to play in that team. Some real characters.

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 85
petethemariner
July 25, 2022, 9:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from moss_side_mariner

Yes Pete, I was in the double winning team 83/84. Had to stop playing a year or so later due to ill health. It was great to play in that team. Some real characters.

Andy F?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 85
moss_side_mariner
July 25, 2022, 9:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from petethemariner

Andy F?

👍

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 85
petethemariner
July 25, 2022, 10:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Was  sorry to hear about your health issues at the time Andy, pleased you are doing well, you were a very good player and it was a real shame you had to give up so early.
All the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 85
goodref
July 25, 2022, 11:27am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +9
Gold Stars: 2
I have read this thread with real interest and it has brought back many good memories for me.

I am no longer due to a serious heart condition able to participate in local football.

I refereed in the Sunday League between 1982 and 2012 and in the saturday league as well
but my involvement was brought to an abrupt end in 2012 when my heart condition was diagnosed.

It was a real privilege to have been involved for those 30 years and I made a lot of friends through local football.

I think that history will show that those years were among the best years for local football.

Sadly the decline appears to be unstoppable and it is the younger ones who will miss out on what for me has been an unforgettable experience.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 85
Mallyner
July 25, 2022, 11:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from goodref
I have read this thread with real interest and it has brought back many good memories for me.

I am no longer due to a serious heart condition able to participate in local football.

I refereed in the Sunday League between 1982 and 2012 and in the saturday league as well
but my involvement was brought to an abrupt end in 2012 when my heart condition was diagnosed.

It was a real privilege to have been involved for those 30 years and I made a lot of friends through local football.

I think that history will show that those years were among the best years for local football.

Sadly the decline appears to be unstoppable and it is the younger ones who will miss out on what for me has been an unforgettable experience.

Bless you mate, I'm very sorry to read that. You and all the local referees have all my full admiration; While I was recovering from my broken leg, I refereed a game so it could go ahead and my team could play and with no linesmen I missed an offside and the opposition scored and my own team mates almost lynched me.

I haven't seen an old friend of mine recently, Rob Surtees, but he seemed to be a master of keeping control.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 85
Rick12
July 25, 2022, 11:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I don't play Sunday League and never have but does anyone play 5/6 a-side either in a league or as a weekly kickabout?

Yes use to play occasionally up until recently. Fitness wise you have to be in good nick to properly enjoy it .

I quite like the idea of walking football for the older generation which I seen has been growing. Helps keep people active and they can still actively enjoy the game albeit at a reduced pace.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 85
goodref
July 25, 2022, 1:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +9
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Mallyner

Bless you mate, I'm very sorry to read that. You and all the local referees have all my full admiration; While I was recovering from my broken leg, I refereed a game so it could go ahead and my team could play and with no linesmen I missed an offside and the opposition scored and my own team mates almost lynched me.

I haven't seen an old friend of mine recently, Rob Surtees, but he seemed to be a master of keeping control.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sunday League Footy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.