7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
August 14, 2022, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,306
Gold Stars: 227
If you read autobiographies of players then you will often come across glaring examples of how much players are effected by the culture, atmosphere and running of clubs....and how they have pops at their agents for getting them into such places.

Money will always play a factor but lets say we pushed the boat the out and bought a marquee signing in........who signed for the cash.....but he soon realises how well he is looked after, how well they are treated, how well his family are treated etc would he be as tempted to walk away ?  Or if we make him sit in a wheelie bin of fish Dock ice to cure an injury or suggest he can get a second job to top his wages up...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
Lost in Lincoln
August 14, 2022, 9:15am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s very aspirational but, put yourself in the shoes of a young player (most of them are!) and tell me that, in your short career, a club’s culture is more important than the pay package and the location.

It’s great that we have a chairman that has changed the club so radically and at such speed but these players are still on relatively low salaries compared to the phone number wages of those higher up the ladder.

I see your point, but how many times over the years have we missed out on a player that went to 'more attractive' location?

We can't change the location of the club, but we can give it the best reputation for being a good club to play for.  When I say 'we', I mean the owners, obvs

Imagine what Pepple thought yesterday...new country, new club, been here 5 minutes and sees 1250 fans at an away game cheering the team on.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 64
MuddyWaters
August 14, 2022, 9:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from moosey_club
If you read autobiographies of players then you will often come across glaring examples of how much players are effected by the culture, atmosphere and running of clubs....and how they have pops at their agents for getting them into such places.

Money will always play a factor but lets say we pushed the boat the out and bought a marquee signing in........who signed for the cash.....but he soon realises how well he is looked after, how well they are treated, how well his family are treated etc would he be as tempted to walk away ?  Or if we make him sit in a wheelie bin of fish Dock ice to cure an injury or suggest he can get a second job to top his wages up...

There’s a big assumption that there’s a load of clubs that are being as badly run as we were badly run. There may be some, granted, but they are few and far between.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 9:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Italian clubs got it right, I mean they get a lot wrong but they did get it right when they began employing well-being type folk mid 90s.

They saw they were investing in the players so crated player liaison roles etc. it took a while to happen in the UK but they exist now and actually you can see the impact of that.

I remember reading about a player at Chelsea about 20 years ago, came over, didn’t speak the language and was out up in a hotel and just told to turn up at training.

Hated it for ages then one player took the time and showed him around, schools etc before he brought all his family over, eventually he settled and surprise surprise, his performances picked up.

Culture is everything and some clubs are further on that journey but it’s so important to have a relational climate that values everyone. City won the league and whilst we know the allures earn obscene cash, in their title celebrations every one was involved, analysts, kit man, tea lady, everyone…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
Rodley Mariner
August 14, 2022, 9:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You’re made of pretty strong stuff to do what Luke Waterfall has done in the last twelve months. Compare that to many players, several who’ve been with us, that have just accepted their fate and gravitated to the next level down.

Absolutely. Worth it's weight in gold having character like that on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
HertsGTFC
August 14, 2022, 9:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
I think this confirms what we all suspected and that is that the club had a bad reputation as not being a great place to work until recently. I think as a cultural and recruitment strategy what JS talks through is excellent and despite the greed in the game its something that personally I'd like our club to be famous for.

Not being the biggest payers (we can't be) but a great place to work will attract players with good values which in sport equals good work ethic which actually can take you some distance. I'd suggest that it will also get you players with character, maybe we're in that place to a degree already with the current squad who are developing a DNA that includes honest graft, application and most of all unity.

I'm not sure it's players you need to convince to be honest I think it's the agents who need to understand that it's not just about wages, good luck with that one. As much as some clubs treat players like commodities agents are just as bad as I refuse to believe at this level "repeat business" isn't an agents best earner.

So as a promoted side you could say 3 games in and a win, drawn and defeat is a mixed start but don't be fooled by a few games this club is moving forward at a pace it's not seen in decades.        

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
Lost in Lincoln
August 14, 2022, 9:54am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think this confirms what we all suspected and that is that the club had a bad reputation as not being a great place to work until recently. I think as a cultural and recruitment strategy what JS talks through is excellent and despite the greed in the game its something that personally I'd like our club to be famous for.

Not being the biggest payers (we can't be) but a great place to work will attract players with good values which in sport equals good work ethic which actually can take you some distance. I'd suggest that it will also get you players with character, maybe we're in that place to a degree already with the current squad who are developing a DNA that includes honest graft, application and most of all unity.

I'm not sure it's players you need to convince to be honest I think it's the agents who need to understand that it's not just about wages, good luck with that one. As much as some clubs treat players like commodities agents are just as bad as I refuse to believe at this level "repeat business" isn't an agents best earner.

So as a promoted side you could say 3 games in and a win, drawn and defeat is a mixed start but don't be fooled by a few games this club is moving forward at a pace it's not seen in decades.        

I don't think there's any maybe about it, granted Hurst made tactical tweaks, but you have to have the players who will not only take that on board, but put it into action on the pitch.  Too many times we've had teams that would have just coasted that 2nd half, resigned to the fact that we were likely to lose the game based on the first half.  Throw the towel in, if you will.  

You can have all the ability in the world, but if you haven't got a work ethic and determination, you'll end up 12th in the Conference.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 64
Rodley Mariner
August 14, 2022, 9:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There’s a big assumption that there’s a load of clubs that are being as badly run as we were badly run. There may be some, granted, but they are few and far between.

That doesn't matter does it? We either need to ensure a good culture to have a competitive advantage or to be on an even footing. I really don't understand how anybody can think us trying to be a really good employer is anything other than a good thing. They've said PH has a much improved budget so it's not like it's instead of offering decent wages
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
grimps
August 14, 2022, 10:34am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
[url]https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/aug/13/while-money-is-a-huge-help-it-is-culture-that-drives-success-in-football[/url]

“For any players or agents reading this, I’d suggest that when thinking about a move, you assess not only the financial side of it but also the the culture of the organisation involved. The personal values and behaviours of owners will have a massive influence on how people are viewed and treated and will be a good indication of how commoditised and valued a player will be. One way to do this is to look at who controls the money, how they got it and how they act in their other businesses.”

I reckon he’s over estimated the intelligence of a lot of players , most will just see pound signs and not give a toss where their money comes from
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 10:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from grimps

I reckon he’s over estimated the intelligence of a lot of players , most will just see pound signs and not give a toss where their money comes from

You probably need to stop believing everything the media tell you about players…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockwood - Guardian - 13.08.22

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.