ex-merseymariner
August 14, 2022, 8:15am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,402
Gold Stars: 9
I agree it's hilarious.

I thought Manchester United were having a decent transfer window, getting rid of a load of the baggage in their squad - I'm not a fan of Matic, Mata, don't get me started on Pogba, and keeping Lingard and not playing him was daft.

But signing Ronaldo has not worked, understatement, and others such as Fernandes, Maguire, Rashford, seem to be in a rut of poor form.  Oh and for all the talk of Ronaldo being the wrong buy, I forgot they'd even signed Sancho, his impact has been almost zero, for what 70 odd million? Ha.

Years of transfer incompetence is not something the new guy can solve overnight. There's so much wrong, where does he start?  Probably with a spine to the team, given it does not have one.....

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 8:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
I agree it's hilarious.

I thought Manchester United were having a decent transfer window, getting rid of a load of the baggage in their squad - I'm not a fan of Matic, Mata, don't get me started on Pogba, and keeping Lingard and not playing him was daft.

But signing Ronaldo has not worked, understatement, and others such as Fernandes, Maguire, Rashford, seem to be in a rut of poor form.  Oh and for all the talk of Ronaldo being the wrong buy, I forgot they'd even signed Sancho, his impact has been almost zero, for what 70 odd million? Ha.

Years of transfer incompetence is not something the new guy can solve overnight. There's so much wrong, where does he start?  Probably with a spine to the team, given it does not have one.....

Their scattergun approach to signings is clearly the reason the likes of Jose weren’t bothered they were sacked.

Ronaldo was a total panic buy, an attempt to raise their profile again and anything to stop him going to City. Pathetic really, sadly, had he not been there last year there’s a chance they have gained even less points than they did.

They signed Sancho which was sensible to some extent and then literally broke the bank for ronaldo, who essentially plays in the same position. excrement for Sancho. excrement for the club.

Ronaldo’s career at Utd is over and I suspect after about s month being there he’s spent the rest of the time orchestrating a move away.

There’s a thread on here again regarding Stockwood’s interview referencing culture, and Utd are proof that culture is integral to success.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
Rick12
August 14, 2022, 8:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

No doubt they’ve been successful, not doubt the likes of city and Chelsea have a way to go to catch them up but right now Man Utd are a club in complete and utter disarray.

At present I reckon half the championship teams would beat them. They bought ronaldo in sheer panic, they had a manager in Jose who actually won things but he upset the apple cart and they didn’t like it and now they’ve got a bloke who has gone from a cushy, albeit successful job in Holland and are pinning their hopes on him turning it around. The club is rotten.

I think the pressure is getting to the players as well. There only human and mindset is more important than skill eg allows you to train right,stay of the beer,maximise potential.

The players that played yesterday are all I imagine millionaires. But it's a team game as well and unless your a absolute world beater( Ronaldo is ageing) it's hard  to lift a club on your own. I know Diego Maradona though in effect won Argentina the world cup in 1986 . Genius lifted an average side to become world champions albeit with a bit of cheating along the way.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
LH
August 14, 2022, 8:28am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,605
Gold Stars: 175
Ferguson worked under the Glazers for a few seasons at the end of his reign and I’ve got a new respect for how he managed to build winning teams right up until the end of his career. Mourinho managing to finish second - which he said was his greatest achievement as a manager - was pretty incredible too looking at the squad he had. Maybe OGS should get some credit for his second too (although Liverpool had a bad injury crisis and effectively pulled up in about Feb that season).

Absolutely hilarious though - there was some lad with a midlands accent by the pool last week laughing his member off at Liverpool drawing with Fulham. I saw him coming back from the bars 20 mins before the end of the Utd match with his shirt on the next day.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
jamesgtfc
August 14, 2022, 8:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
I agree it's hilarious.

Jose got hate for saying what is now clearly true. It was the same for Ragnick. If they don't get a response soon, Ten Hag will be lucky to have a job by the end of the month but it's clear to everyone that the problem isn't the manager, it's the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
Rick12
August 14, 2022, 8:42am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LH
Ferguson worked under the Glazers for a few seasons at the end of his reign and I’ve got a new respect for how he managed to build winning teams right up until the end of his career. .
Alex Fergusons autobiography managing my life was a good read. Still admire how he tried to clean up the club for the better when he arrived in 1986 and upset the applecart in the process eg cleaned up the toxic drinking culture which was there  . A disciplinarian by all accounts but one which players over time grew to respect no doubt aided by the fact he won trophy's .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
aldi_01
August 14, 2022, 8:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Rick12
Alex Fergusons autobiography managing my life was a good read. Still admire how he tried to clean up the club for the better when he arrived in 1986 and upset the applecart in the process eg cleaned up the toxic drinking culture which was there  . A disciplinarian by all accounts but one which players over time grew to respect no doubt aided by the fact he won trophy's .

He did spend a considerable amount of time and effort burying the misdemeanours of players in the 90s though, namely Giggs…

But I take your point but when he was upsetting the Apple cart he wasn’t dealing with the Glazers.

Jose told the truth, Van Gaal told the truth, Rangnick told the truth, the club didn’t like it and those pub going Utd fans didn’t, the real, go every game types understood it fully and knew, hence their continued protests.

Once Jose left their chances of winning anything were diminished, this was supported by a Utd STH I got speaking to in a pub. There was another Utd ‘fan’ in there joined in the discussion, typical armchair fan…the views of Jose were polar opposite and the armchair fan just couldn’t see what the STH was getting at.

Culture is everything…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
Rick12
August 14, 2022, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Culture is everything…
So true. I heard  Carlo Ancelotti say something similar. Due to Real Madrid's phenomenal success in the champions league and  European cup, players often drew on these experiences to elevate their game especially on  European nights which we witnessed last season ( albeit with a bit of luck as well 😉).

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
Lost in Lincoln
August 14, 2022, 9:04am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
It'll take ten Haag 5 years to sort that mess out.

I guarantee he won't get it.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 43
TownSNAFU5
August 14, 2022, 9:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
If we beat Forest and draw Man United, it will be a mixture of reserve players and youths.  Otherwise we will seriously embarrass them using out first team players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brentford v Man Utd

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.