10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
August 20, 2022, 8:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,299
Gold Stars: 226
Well....I found it an intruiging watch in many ways as it was such a scrap, they are a very well organised, drilled, strong physical outfit , after the first 10 -15 mins you could see it was going to be one of those hardy games to watch.
We just didn't have the strength or pace to break through any one on one situations and they pressed fast and hard giving our one somewhat one dimensional midfield no time to get into a rhythm.
Think we worked a couple of good moves round the back both of which I think came after Clifton/Pepple came on and the change in formation.
Although a tough afternoon we had two glorious chances to win it. The disallowed goal...think it was a foul further back in the box, the ref was talking to the group of players for ages and once the corner was taken he blew quickly. He did that several times, I think he was actively looking for and penalising "blockers".  
Taylor was far too isolated, which I think was what Hurst was referring to about the pitch being too long.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 90
Grant Baily
August 20, 2022, 8:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +27
Gold Stars: 1
Hurst hit nail on the head. Minimum expectation is effort, of which there was plenty. Quality awful!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 90
jamesgtfc
August 20, 2022, 9:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Hurst slated the performance, I only had a listening brief today but is it possible that some players had their minds on Tuesday?

It should be a good game on Tuesday, be interesting what team Forest put out but our players should be up for it and there isn't any danger of Hurst overcomplicating it going man for man like Jolley did against Chelsea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 90
acko338
August 20, 2022, 9:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Sutton had the plan - freeze out Taylor, keep him isolated and drop as soon as he challenged for the ball.

Get him angry to get him off his game - that worked for them  as the ref fell for it.

Clifton made a difference by keeping the ball on the floor once he was on the pitch.  

His graft and energy was missing today.

Too many long high balls in both halves to lost causes and they fought strong and hard for every 2nd ball.

Our passing looked like a pinball game at times.

We were lucky that their final crosses were woeful most of the time.

One to forget !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 90
chaos33
August 20, 2022, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Either team could’ve won 1-0. L2 is tough and a bigger step up in terms of quality of opposition than perhaps some people think.
Take the point. Clean sheet. Unbeaten at home. Steady away. We know where we are a bit light and no doubt we’ll improve but have ups and downs. Said before I think it will be progress if we establish ourselves and are competitive in this division so can’t grumble. When opposition teams are ‘in your face’ and closing you down quickly at home, and referees are whistle happy you have to take a philosophical view I reckon. Didn’t lose to a smash and grab, even/scrappy game, another point and on we go.

UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 90
davmariner
August 20, 2022, 9:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Pretty much agree with Hurst’s assessment of the game. Too many players well off the pace today as I’ve eluded to in other threads.

Thought Green was very poor but improved once he was moved further back and made some good challenges towards the end of the second half.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 90
chaos33
August 20, 2022, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Still finding out about players and positions aren’t we.
Just wish we had Jonny, as he makes something happen from nothing and takes chances. There’ll be a few of these games that’ll end up a draw that McAtee would’ve turned into victories. But, it is what it is.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 90
MuddyWaters
August 20, 2022, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Let’s be honest, the selection on the left side was a bit odd today.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 90
blundellpork
August 20, 2022, 9:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
With better decisions today, we could have won 3-0.

The goal from the corner appeared strange that the referee blew. Sadly when a keeper goals down or stumbles over the line, refs always side with the defending team. I’d like to see the incident back, but looked a legitimate goal to me.

Pepple should really have scored his one on one, but probably had too much time to think, and didn’t act instinctively.

Taylor’s effort was dreadful. As he has no pace, he should have hit the ball first time, and the element of surprise would have given us half a chance. Sadly his first touch was abysmal, and as he can’t run any faster than I can walk, had no chance of getting there before the keeper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 90
Posh Harry
August 20, 2022, 10:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,374
Gold Stars: 36
I didn’t go to the game today, but what I can be sure about is that people who don’t think Ryan Taylor is good enough for league 2 should not bother going to watch as they clearly haven’t got a clue about football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 90
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.