4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
easypeersy
August 24, 2022, 10:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
How much money was made from last night’s bumper crowd.
Surely the money made from that can be invested in a decent striker?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
MuddyWaters
August 24, 2022, 10:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from easypeersy

Surely we made money from promotion, season ticket sales and the sale of McAtee? There must be a decent war chest.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
toontown
August 24, 2022, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
We only get 45% of takings minus stewarding and police costs, which would be far more than normal.

Basically the equivalent of a 4k crowd. It will help a little but nothing dramatic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
jamesgtfc
August 24, 2022, 10:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from toontown
We only get 45% of takings minus stewarding and police costs, which would be far more than normal.

Basically the equivalent of a 4k crowd. It will help a little but nothing dramatic

Most of a usual home crowd has been paid for up front so 4k worth of revenue is the equivalent to us having a crowd of 9000 at a league game.

And you can't really budget for drawing a Premier League team at home so it's unbudgeted income.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
Mariner_09
August 24, 2022, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
I’m pretty certain that the money for a striker is there. The trouble is what sort of quality that can buy. It seems everyone’s looking for a striker. You only need to look at the opposition we’ve faced so far this season for evidence. Orient had loads of play in the first 20 mins, but didn’t score despite numerous chances. They only won courtesy of a wonder goal and a dodgy pen. Rochdale, if they could finish their dinner, would’ve been out of sight within 25 mins. If Sutton had a top striker, you’d imagine they may have scored against us in the first half, although if the reverse was true we’d have scored in the second.

Given how thin on the ground they are, anyone who’s half decent is going to be charging top dollar and we’ll likely have to offer even more to get them to NE Lincs. Although people don’t want to hear it, it doesn’t matter how good the new owners are, how fantastic the culture of the club is, how tightly knitted the dressing room is, NE Lincs is still harder to sell than London, Manchester or South Yorkshire. We don’t have daft money to throw around and nor would I want us to overstretch ourselves. It’s definitely going to be easier to attract players now given those reasons listed but some fundamentals remain.

The 4-5 sides who do manage to find a striker to knit it all together will be the ones who finish right at the sharp end, as there isn’t much between the sides in this league otherwise. We just have to pray Hursty can find him and then get him. I’m pretty convinced this illusive striker isn’t a poacher either, it’s a fitter, more mobile version of Taylor who carries more of a goal threat.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
Nutsy
August 25, 2022, 1:17pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +158
Gold Stars: 5
I really think this midfield is head and shoulders above what we’ve had the last few years, it is worth noting that individuals have been superb (Matete and Embleton are doing well at the top end of the Championship)

I really think Morris, Holohan and obviously McAtee are L1 quality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
lew chaterleys lover
August 25, 2022, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mariner_09
I’m pretty certain that the money for a striker is there. The trouble is what sort of quality that can buy. It seems everyone’s looking for a striker. You only need to look at the opposition we’ve faced so far this season for evidence. Orient had loads of play in the first 20 mins, but didn’t score despite numerous chances. They only won courtesy of a wonder goal and a dodgy pen. Rochdale, if they could finish their dinner, would’ve been out of sight within 25 mins. If Sutton had a top striker, you’d imagine they may have scored against us in the first half, although if the reverse was true we’d have scored in the second.

Given how thin on the ground they are, anyone who’s half decent is going to be charging top dollar and we’ll likely have to offer even more to get them to NE Lincs. Although people don’t want to hear it, it doesn’t matter how good the new owners are, how fantastic the culture of the club is, how tightly knitted the dressing room is, NE Lincs is still harder to sell than London, Manchester or South Yorkshire. We don’t have daft money to throw around and nor would I want us to overstretch ourselves. It’s definitely going to be easier to attract players now given those reasons listed but some fundamentals remain.

The 4-5 sides who do manage to find a striker to knit it all together will be the ones who finish right at the sharp end, as there isn’t much between the sides in this league otherwise. We just have to pray Hursty can find him and then get him. I’m pretty convinced this illusive striker isn’t a poacher either, it’s a fitter, more mobile version of Taylor who carries more of a goal threat.

If its easier to attract strikers if you are in London or big cities, how come, as you say Leyton Orient and Sutton (London) and Rochdale (near Manchester) didn't have any?

This has been debunked loads of times. Players move for all sorts of reasons including money, location, family, club reputation/manager and often move from one end of the country to another. We are no different to any other part of the country as shown by our signings so far this season who have come from Harrogate (very posh) and London (very big) amongst others. Of course some will say I am not moving to Grimsby as others might say I'm not moving to Exeter or Carlisle.

Obviously all this is predicated on the money being acceptable and I agree in a seller's market we will have to pay top dollar.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
male private Nale
August 25, 2022, 1:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from blundellpork
Whilst Green was the player Hurst has said was at the top of his list, to date, I think Morris has been the better midfielder.

Morris is the proven league player whereas Green stepping up and adjusting, I think second half of season we will see the best of Green.

If Morris can maintain his form then it bodes well for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
LN8Mariner
August 25, 2022, 1:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +329
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from easypeersy

Back of an envelope calculation, about £58k before costs but after VAT. So roughly 20 to 25% of a Tshimanga.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
diehardmariner
August 25, 2022, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543

If its easier to attract strikers if you are in London or big cities, how come, as you say Leyton Orient and Sutton (London) and Rochdale (near Manchester) didn't have any?

This has been debunked loads of times. Players move for all sorts of reasons including money, location, family, club reputation/manager and often move from one end of the country to another. We are no different to any other part of the country as shown by our signings so far this season who have come from Harrogate (very posh) and London (very big) amongst others. Of course some will say I am not moving to Grimsby as others might say I'm not moving to Exeter or Carlisle.

Obviously all this is predicated on the money being acceptable and I agree in a seller's market we will have to pay top dollar.

I wouldn't say easier or harder, just that clubs that are in or near a big city have a bigger pool to go at.  But of course there's then more clubs nearby who are scrapping for them.

In the age of short-term contracts, our previous sell of a cheaper to live area is pretty redundant as few players will up roots, instead preferring to commute.  If you're a player from anywhere west of about Brigg you've got Doncaster as a closer alternative at the same level.  If they offer the same money, they win that battle 9 times out of 10.  At the level above us you've got the likes of Barnsley who can offer a higher level of football, better pay and be closer to home.  

To the south, anyone past Caistor is within closer reach to Lincoln at a level above.   Once you got to Lincoln it's then quicker to get to Mansfield, Chesterfield, Notts County etc. and beyond.  To the North, we probably do a little better but anything that's north of Hull have other League Two clubs within closer reach of us.  

Our local pool of options is limited.  There's quite a poor local non-league infrastructure of clubs that could be seen as potential feeders into our system, getting here is a ball ache and our approach is not to just throw money at it to attract players who don't buy into the ethos of the club.  It must be a bloody hard gig getting players to come here.  Whenever we've got interest from the same level, unless we're prepared to outbid then there's not a lot we can offer extra that other clubs can.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bryn Morris

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.