lukeo
September 2, 2022, 7:12am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
How we all feeling??
Obviously I know little about the two forwards we've brought in late last night but I do know what we're getting with Hunt. But to have a 3yr contract shows real intent from Town. I also feel we've done very well with maintaining alot of our players and got a fantastic deal with McAtee. So, for me I'm going with a 4.
Logged Offline
Private Message
DB
September 2, 2022, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
At the beginning of the season, Hurst said he want 4 new players, a striker, keeper, winger plus a midfielder/someone else to cover injuries.

We have 2 strikers, a midfielder and no keeper. Hurst obviously has faith in Battersby who must have impressed him. A good bit of business all round and I believe most of us will be very happy with the full signing of Hunt for 3 years and 2 strikers.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
GtfcGarner
September 2, 2022, 7:25am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Would of been a 5* from me had we signed a league proven striker.. I see that Jephcott signed for Swindon on loan who has a fairly decent record for Plymouth in L1, no doubt location being our biggest downfall again.

I'm optimistic though as the two loanees could turn out to be absolutely way to good for this league, and then there is Alex Hunt.. I think he's absolutely fantastic and loved him when he was here so I'm delighted that he's back permanently. I really do believe he has all the tools to go on and be a regular Championship player and if the rumours are true about him bulking up this pre-season at Wednesday think we've got more of an evolved player on our hands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
gtfc_chris
September 2, 2022, 7:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
I've gone with a 4 but it's largely down to the unknown quantity/quality of the two strikers brought in. Had we brought in a household name(ish) striker with a track record it would be a 5. In a few weeks time I might amend that view to a 5 if we see these two new strikers change the complexion of our attacking prowess and improve that area of our game.

Every faith PH will have signed them because he believes they can perform at this level so no reason to doubt and I'm excited to see them play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
aldi_01
September 2, 2022, 7:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from gtfc_chris
I've gone with a 4 but it's largely down to the unknown quantity/quality of the two strikers brought in. Had we brought in a household name(ish) striker with a track record it would be a 5. In a few weeks time I might amend that view to a 5 if we see these two new strikers change the complexion of our attacking prowess and improve that area of our game.

Every faith PH will have signed them because he believes they can perform at this level so no reason to doubt and I'm excited to see them play.

The last two ‘household’ name strikers we brought in were Hanson and Green…neither would make the current bench. Both were finished…

Il take these two any day…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
lukeo
September 2, 2022, 7:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Spot on and well put Chris, my feelings exactly... Maybe I will recreate this post in a couple of months see how people's views have changed after the new guys settle in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2022, 8:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from DB
At the beginning of the season, Hurst said he want 4 new players, a striker, keeper, winger plus a midfielder/someone else to cover injuries.

We have 2 strikers, a midfielder and no keeper. Hurst obviously has faith in Battersby who must have impressed him. A good bit of business all round and I believe most of us will be very happy with the full signing of Hunt for 3 years and 2 strikers.

I think PH is right to have some faith in Battersby but I wonder if we had a mid season keeper crisis I just wonder whether we’d take Macca back on a short term basis as I think he is only playing in Ireland till November, sounds odd but stranger things have happened.

Overall I’m pleased with what we’ve done. If you think we’ve still got McAtee, Scans, Khan and Maher to come back we’re in a better position in terms of depth than we’ve been in recent times since I can remember.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
September 2, 2022, 8:50am
Guest User
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think PH is right to have some faith in Battersby but I wonder if we had a mid season keeper crisis I just wonder whether we’d take Macca back on a short term basis as I think he is only playing in Ireland till November, sounds odd but stranger things have happened.

Overall I’m pleased with what we’ve done. If you think we’ve still got McAtee, Scans, Khan and Maher to come back we’re in a better position in terms of depth than we’ve been in recent times since I can remember.

No thank you.

Reply: 7 - 19
Poojah
September 2, 2022, 9:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Well, if we're looking at our business this window as a whole, and more broadly since the beginning of last summer, our transition from League Two relegation no-hopers, to National League Promotion winners, to a competitive, top-half League Two side (and maybe even better than that) is absolutely remarkable. The work that has gone into that in the transfer market and on the training pitch must be absolutely phenomenal and cannot be underestimated.

In terms of yesterday's deadline day, I think that's a little trickier to size up at this moment in time. Hunt at least is a known quantity; despite his dip off in form last season I think we all saw there's a quality player in there with genuine class that's hard to find at this level, and for Hurst to have pursued him for this long like a dog with a bone and for us to have paid what sounds like a significant fee tells you just how much he must value him.

I think Hunt is the kind of genuine 'investment' signing that we haven't made enough of in recent years, and hopefully he will either be a true asset for us for the next 5 years or so, or we turn him around and sell him on for a significant mark-up in the not too distant future.

Richardson and Simmonds we know less about, however given how well regarded they appear to be at their own clubs I think the only question mark will be how well they can adapt to the physicality of League Two football; their quality doesn't appear to be in doubt.

If there is a tinge of disappointment or frustration about yesterday's deadline day, it is that we didn't sign anyone in the Ryan Taylor, target man mould and that three of our attacking options are now young, inexperienced loanees. That, for me, was probably the space that needed filling most and for the second year in succession we go into September without having filled the number 9 shirt. Still, we did alright without one last year, didn't we?

Also worth remembering that we still have free agents to go at should we need to. Nathan Delfouneso and Tom Elliot are two names available, not withstanding of course that Hursty signings tend to be a little more left-field than that. I do think he'll still be looking at his options there though; unless we plan to change the way we play Taylor as the only big man up top leaves us a little bit exposed in that regard.

All-in-all though, you've got to be happy with where we are right now, haven't you?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
ska face
September 2, 2022, 10:10am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
If I’m being honest, I’m not too fussed at not bringing in a target man in the Taylor/Smith/Cosgrove mould. We all know how we end up playing when we’ve got a big target up there, defenders bypass the midfield and up pumping it long 90% of the time if they feel the option is there. Meat & drink for L2 defenders - we had it with James Hanson, same with Jamille Matt.

Hopefully our front line will influence the way we play & I’m expecting Hunt to be a big influence on it.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsbys transfers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.