1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
September 4, 2022, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,905
Gold Stars: 42
The Sunday Times reports that Grimsby Town are certainly enjoying the second-half of their matches this season.  Paul Hurst’s side have yet to score a first-half league goal but scored another two after the break, in the 2-0 win away to Newport County.  Giving them a third success in four league games.

Bryn Morris put them ahead with a long-range strike.  Harry Clifton doubled their lead seven minutes from time, ending Newport’s run of four wins in all competitions.

I did not realise that we had not scored a first-half league goal. They could have added that none have our strikers have scored a league goal this season. We keep winning though.

We should be famous for scoring late goals.  The 3 playoff matches showed just how late. 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 4, 2022, 11:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
When the half season tickets become available will they be from 45 mins onwards!?!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
Rodley Mariner
September 4, 2022, 11:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Think I read that before yesterday we hadn't scored earlier than the 77th minute in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
GrimExile
September 4, 2022, 2:04pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
When the half season tickets become available will they be from 45 mins onwards!?!

Brilliant!! 👏👏👏😁😁😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
TonySmith
September 4, 2022, 8:55pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
Would that suggest our players are superbly fit and wearing teams down with hard work, determination, and team spirit? Much credit is due to the management team if that is the case, and it seems to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
TonySmith
September 4, 2022, 8:55pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +968
Gold Stars: 11
Would that suggest our players are superbly fit and wearing teams down with hard work, determination, and team spirit? Much credit is due to the management team if that is the case, and it seems to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
ginnywings
September 4, 2022, 9:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It's not just about fitness levels as most teams are fit as fleas nowadays. If you can get a team on the back foot and dominate possession, as we did yesterday, it's much more tiring, mentally and physically, chasing the ball.

The last two away games, we have had 60% possession for large parts of the game, which is impressive for an away team.

I think we are just wearing teams down as you say, which is why PH picks players with a high work rate. Eventually they crack. The two home games we drew, our best chances came toward the end when defences were tiring, but unfortunately, we didn't take them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
Mariner_09
September 4, 2022, 9:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Teams may begin to setup differently against us and actively allow us the ball, Hursty’s teams have often struggled against sides who sit deep and frustrate us. If sides get worried about breaking us down, they may sit off us, not press us and stay in their shape. Games have been less frustrating this season because sides have been more willing to have a go at us. Crewe have always been a footballing team, so I expect them to come and have a go but against Gillingham and Colchester, I’m expect them to sit off us more. It will become more of an issue if we win the next few games, especially our game in hand and sides see us a side challenging for promotion. Obviously, that would be a great problem to have but I suspect we’re going to have to overcome it sooner rather than later.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
Poojah
September 4, 2022, 9:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Mariner_09
Teams may begin to setup differently against us and actively allow us the ball, Hursty’s teams have often struggled against sides who sit deep and frustrate us. If sides get worried about breaking us down, they may sit off us, not press us and stay in their shape. Games have been less frustrating this season because sides have been more willing to have a go at us. Crewe have always been a footballing team, so I expect them to come and have a go but against Gillingham and Colchester, I’m expect them to sit off us more. It will become more of an issue if we win the next few games, especially our game in hand and sides see us a side challenging for promotion. Obviously, that would be a great problem to have but I suspect we’re going to have to overcome it sooner rather than later.

Gillingham have managed to accrue 5 points having scored 1 goal in their 7 games. That absolutely reeks of anti-football.

Whilst a valid point to raise, in a world of horses for courses we have a very healthy looking stable right now.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 4, 2022, 9:42pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 122
I was only reading something earlier that showed we had 16 different goalscorers last season.
If we like to spread it round the players, I can see a similar number scoring this season too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paper has Town as lead Div 2 report

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.