aldi_01
September 6, 2022, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Maringer
Our oldest rivals are clearly Lincoln. We've been playing each other reasonably regularly for over 140 years!

We've also played them a lot more than other local clubs in recent decades as Scunny had their moment in the sun and we've toiled around the bottom division.

It has occurred to me that I can't remember ever watching us play Hull (and I'm almost 50!).probably saw a game at some point when I was a kid but that's a long time ago. I do, however, remember always having a chuckle if Hull had lost games in years past. My Dad really doesn't like Hull after working there on and off in the 70s and this has obviously rubbed off on me to some degree! Scunny were just never on my radar and I simply don't care about them now, just as I didn't care about them when they were three divisions higher than us.

We played them in the auto windscreens early games at BP. If I remember, it was the game Macca got a really bad injury?

I think that idiot Danson refereed, providing evidence that ex players don’t make good referees…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 78
immariner
September 6, 2022, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
If we had played them in a league match at any point in the last10 or so years everyone iwould undoubtedly say Hull. As it is, without being able to Scunny, it's Lincoln, Doncaster and Barnsley in that order.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 78
Son of Cod
September 6, 2022, 10:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Personally, I don't get the Sheffield clubs/Barnsley thing at all. Big games when they come around, but no chance are they proper rivals. I think you could argue the case that Mansfield/Chesterfield are bigger rivals than them.

Scunny are our main rivals and always have been and it won't matter which divisions we're in. Lincoln has obviously crept in over the last few decades and their rise has turned them from quite a nice inoffensive middling L2/Conference side to the jumped up sycophantic monstrosity that unfurled that banner and now there's a very strong dislike. So it's kind of just those two for me. Hull would be a thing for me, but as others have said we never play them any more. The only Yorkshire side who would possibly be considered would be Donny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 78
Hagrid
September 6, 2022, 10:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 537
27 and never seen us play Hull
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 78
immariner
September 6, 2022, 10:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Son of Cod
Personally, I don't get the Sheffield clubs/Barnsley thing at all. Big games when they come around, but no chance are they proper rivals. I think you could argue the case that Mansfield/Chesterfield are bigger rivals than them.

That's the same thing though isn't it mate? Chesterfield and Mansfield only "rivals" because we've generally occupied the same divisions over the last 20 years. Games against Barnsley were always much tastier than Chesterfield or Mansfield. Not main rivals, no. Same as Doncaster but with not playing Hull in forever and not being able to choose Scunny, they would sneak in my top 3 for the last 30 years

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 78
UTMAdinfinitum
September 6, 2022, 11:17am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: +94
We're simply unrivalled!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 78
Bigdog
September 6, 2022, 11:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
If by chance we start playing Hull, Wendys, Blunts and Barnsley regularly in the next few seasons, the under 30s in our fanbase will totally understand the added edge compared to any Scunny or Lincoln game. Don't underestimate anything until you've experienced it first hand...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 78
Son of Cod
September 6, 2022, 11:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from immariner

That's the same thing though isn't it mate? Chesterfield and Mansfield only "rivals" because we've generally occupied the same divisions over the last 20 years. Games against Barnsley were always much tastier than Chesterfield or Mansfield. Not main rivals, no. Same as Doncaster but with not playing Hull in forever and not being able to choose Scunny, they would sneak in my top 3 for the last 30 years

I always found Barnsley fairly friendly personally. Wednesday we can't have been in the same division as for more than 4/5 years around the turn of the millennium. Chesterfield on the other hand kicks off every single time we play them it seems, hence me mentioning them but yeah I wouldn't consider them rivals either.

Quoted from Bigdog
If by chance we start playing Hull, Wendys, Blunts and Barnsley regularly in the next few seasons, the under 30s in our fanbase will totally understand the added edge compared to any Scunny or Lincoln game. Don't underestimate anything until you've experienced it first hand...

I'm 38 and I don't really remember this Wednesday rivalry that people are on about. Like I said further up, I remember them being big games but mainly just because we were likely to take decent followings other than any kind of ingrained rivalry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 78
September 6, 2022, 11:48am
Guest User
Sheffield Wednesday from the eighties but any South Yorkshire team really and Leeds back in the day.

We've only played Hull City in three league campaigns that I recall since I started watching Town 79-80, 85-86 and 86-87 and we spent the best part of two decades above them at one time.

I suppose Lincolnshire matches are derbies but the Yorkshire games have always had more bite for me.

Reply: 38 - 78
Heswall Mariner
September 6, 2022, 11:49am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Hagrid
27 and never seen us play Hull

The only time I saw us v Hull was in the early 60's. - Jeez 60 years ago!
We lost 2-1 at Boothferry Park, Chris Chilton scored both of their goals I think & maybe Ron Rafferty got ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby's Rivals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.