Private Message
arryarryarry
September 6, 2022, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
In the dealings I have had with Dave, he was always a top man.

Is this a case of another one being pushed out as the club had already brought in another commercial manager, I hope not.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
mimma
September 6, 2022, 2:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Why does everyone automatically assume he's being pushed out?  He himself has said it's time for him to step back and spend more time with his family. As an ex top player he will have made a good pension out of the game so he's decided to retire and enjoy it while can.
Enjoy your retirement Dave all the best and thank you for all you've done for GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 6, 2022, 2:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
I would assume it’s a bit of both as the club has brought someone in above Dave and that’s probably helped persuade him to take retirement now. Let’s be honest the club is trying to move forward and that will always mean changes in personnel both on and off the field and that’s no bad thing provided any departures are managed correctly which in the case of Dave appears to be the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
Jarmo.Is.God
September 6, 2022, 2:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Maybe Dave has been kind enough to advise his new bosses of his intention to step down in x amount of months.
His new proactive bosses have then decided to employ a replacement early enough to have a smooth hand over.

I mean, maybe they pushed him out though...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
forza ivano
September 6, 2022, 3:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from arryarryarry
In the dealings I have had with Dave, he was always a top man.

Is this a case of another one being pushed out as the club had already brought in another commercial manager, I hope not.

the fact that he's giving an interview to Mariners TV suggests you're worry is misguided (none of the others who have left have done anything like that0
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
coddy60
September 6, 2022, 4:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
He's 54, had a good career, and looks like he fancies retirement.  I'm sure nothing more needs reading into it...
I wish him all the best in his retirement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
aldi_01
September 6, 2022, 4:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I mean the state of the club, the argument that they should’ve all gone is valid.

In Daves defence, he’s probably thought about it and realised he’s done what he can and taken the role as far as he can and sees this as a good opportunity for him to go and then help the club move forward.

Well respected, well thought of and decent bloke. I’m he’s welcome back any time…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
jimgtfc
September 6, 2022, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,102
Gold Stars: 46
Very nice bloke Dave Smith, but have we been as good as we can be commercially during his time at the club? Could we be better? I guess they’re the questions that need answering by people with more knowledge than me. For the club to move forward, sentimentality has to be put to one side. I’ve personally heard a couple of recent stories of long term employees of the club who let’s just say we might be better off without.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
arryarryarry
September 6, 2022, 5:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from mimma
Why does everyone automatically assume he's being pushed out? He himself has said it's time for him to step back and spend more time with his family. As an ex top player he will have made a good pension out of the game so he's decided to retire and enjoy it while can.
Enjoy your retirement Dave all the best and thank you for all you've done for GTFC

I didn't say he had or hadn't but I have been in business long enough to know the old saying that they want to spend time with their family is often a cover to they are being pushed out.

I just hope he hasn't.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dave Smith stepping down

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.