4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Trawler
September 10, 2022, 9:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Without wishing to come across all "we're massive", The Fishy must surely be the busiest club message board in L2?   I haven't done much research, (and Rob may be able to throw some light on this assertion), but a cursory glance at the boards of other clubs shows far more activity here than elsewhere (even Bratford's). We might not always agree with each other, but this forum is a thriving online community in comparison to those I have looked at, and for that I am grateful. There's always something of interest to read here or on non footy. It's been a constant GTFC presence in my life for years and years. Keep up the good work Rob, and other admins.  Long live the Fishy.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
GrimExile
September 10, 2022, 11:47am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
The normal few red x’s I see!! 😁😁 If you don’t like the Fishy and you can’t, otherwise why red X it, why are you on here? Asking for a friend!!!! #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
somersetmariner
September 10, 2022, 12:28pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
The only other message board i saw with good ‘action’ over the last decade or so was Luton’s board.
They were a grumpy lot when in the National league, rightly so !!

There have been some wonderfully insightful posters on the fishy over the years.

I have even miss one or two……

I love the fishy ! long live the fishy

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
Gaffer58
September 10, 2022, 12:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Talking of red crosses, the easiest way to get a load is to moan about receiving one for a certain comment, then just sit back and whatch them come flooding in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
aldi_01
September 10, 2022, 12:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Gaffer58
Talking of red crosses, the easiest way to get a load is to moan about receiving one for a certain comment, then just sit back and whatch them come flooding in.

It took me ages to realise what they were. I wouldn’t even know how to see how many I’ve received. I’d be extremely upset should I receive more ticks than crosses.

I guess the forum has to cater for all and that includes the young and those desperate for some recognition I guess…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
Chrisblor
September 10, 2022, 1:04pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,961
Gold Stars: 241
Yeah we're massive

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Manchester Mariner
September 10, 2022, 1:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
As someone who grew up in the message board/forum golden age The Fishy is probably my favourite which remains. The whole set up of social media doesn't really lend itself to actually generating any worthwhile discussion in my opinion.

Granted, I'm still bewildered by the penchant for adults to lose their minds on here about ticks and crosses.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
September 10, 2022, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
When I look at other clubs forums ive never seen one as nice as the fishy, some of them look proper 1990s, and at our level theyre always alot less active. Im really glad the fishy is around think its a much better way to communicate than on social media which is somehow 10 times more miserable than the fishy ever gets  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 10, 2022, 2:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,310
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from aldi_01

It took me ages to realise what they were. I wouldn’t even know how to see how many I’ve received. I’d be extremely upset should I receive more ticks than crosses.…

Based on your historical posts I think you'll be ok.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Macca_D
September 10, 2022, 4:36pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: -59
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GrimExile
The normal few red x’s I see!! 😁😁 If you don’t like the Fishy and you can’t, otherwise why red X it, why are you on here? Asking for a friend!!!! #UTM

what's the obsession with red x ??? grown men taking it to heart and getting butt hurt   get a grip like
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
aldi_01
September 10, 2022, 4:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Based on your historical posts I think you'll be ok.

Excellent…although I’ve still no idea how to see them.

Not really sure they’ve added anything to the forum anyway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
lukeo
September 10, 2022, 5:36pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
It possibly is one of the best around. When I was younger I registered to several different ones, Grimsby ones and other club ones. None came close to how active this one is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
aldi_01
September 10, 2022, 5:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I’d say the biggest improvement was from the migration form the original Electronic Fishcake to this…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
It Bites
September 10, 2022, 5:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
To be fair I've had some laughs , some tears , some arguments ( mostly caused by me ) some fun and some frustrating times on here over the years but on the whole it's a good page with good people.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
ginnywings
September 10, 2022, 6:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
It's just about the only forum I visit regularly. I agree with some posts, disagree with others and positively seethe at a few, but I'd still chat to and buy a pint for anyone I met from here, whatever their views.

As my late brother would say, "It's all part of life's rich tapestry".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
golfer
September 10, 2022, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from aldi_01

It took me ages to realise what they were. I wouldn’t even know how to see how many I’ve received. I’d be extremely upset should I receive more ticks than crosses.

I guess the forum has to cater for all and that includes the young and those desperate for some recognition I guess…

I am sure you will be pleased to know Aldi that you have 3 green ticks and 47234 red  x's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
ncfc_chalky
September 10, 2022, 8:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 58
I post on several forums and I would say that this is the most active,Notts mad can be busy as well as the Rochdale forum but this one seems to be busy whenever I look in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
aldi_01
September 10, 2022, 10:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer

I am sure you will be pleased to know Aldi that you have 3 green ticks and 47234 red  x's

47k of them from Getyourfactsright and his acolytes I’d hope…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
DB
September 11, 2022, 6:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ginnywings
It's just about the only forum I visit regularly. I agree with some posts, disagree with others and positively seethe at a few, but I'd still chat to and buy a pint for anyone I met from here, whatever their views.

Gold star man for me, whose heart is in the right place.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
September 11, 2022, 11:15am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Busy? Yes.

Most of it is absolute guff and the forum and a lot of the posters are full of their own self importance.

I suppose as I've got older I've changed my opinions on this and forums in general. I used to love forums back in the days of the Electronic Fishcake but arguments about non football stuff, moving to The Fishy and vetting sort of ruined it for me. Social media is easier to follow or avoid and theres always Cod Almighty

Anyway you could never beat Grim Outlook at it's peak.  

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
aldi_01
September 11, 2022, 11:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Busy? Yes.

Most of it is absolute guff and the forum and a lot of the posters are full of their own self importance.

I suppose as I've got older I've changed my opinions on this and forums in general. I used to love forums back in the days of the Electronic Fishcake but arguments about non football stuff, moving to The Fishy and vetting sort of ruined it for me. Social media is easier to follow or avoid and theres always Cod Almighty

Anyway you could never beat Grim Outlook at it's peak.  

Whatever happened to GO? Used to frequent both the just drifted to here. Didn’t post for a while then came back when I got rid of most other social media…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
Chrisblor
September 11, 2022, 11:48am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,961
Gold Stars: 241
It just sort of naturally died a death. I think the Fishy turning from some janky old tree style BBS into a proper forum was what really killed it off. I found GO way easier to read in the mid-00s, but then this place turned into a fully featured message board and had more activity so I just migrated over to posting on here regularly as a result.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
GYinScuntland
September 11, 2022, 4:35pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
What do you have to do around this place to get a green tick?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
TownSNAFU5
September 11, 2022, 8:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
The GO was always very interesting and clever.  With some in-depth discussions on cheese or the weather in Canada. (We had a fan there ).  And some lady-posters of distinction. Sadly missed.

Ncfc-chalky:  this site is always busy because we are so pleased that you let us beat you at home in the league and the playoffs.  😇😁. I think that you only had 3 home defeats last season, we were very pleased to inflict the majority.  You know that it makes sense!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
lukeo
September 11, 2022, 10:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The GO was always very interesting and clever.  With some in-depth discussions on cheese or the weather in Canada. (We had a fan there ).  And some lady-posters of distinction. Sadly missed.

Kate and Mandy being two girls who posted on it if I remember rightly? Didn't they also help sort the big flag we got once upon a time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
ncfc_chalky
September 11, 2022, 10:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 58
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Ncfc-chalky:  this site is always busy because we are so pleased that you let us beat you at home in the league and the playoffs.  😇😁. I think that you only had 3 home defeats last season, we were very pleased to inflict the majority.  You know that it makes sense!

I don't begrudge Grimsby's win over us in the playoffs at all,it made for an exciting game even if we was on the recieving end of two very late goals,Grimsby had all of their games away and  was the underdogs in all of their playoff games but they never gave up even when time was running out and it paid off,you was worthy winners imo,everyone loves an underdog and I'm just glad that it was Grimsby and not Wrexham that went up,even I have got a positive out of it,at the start of the playoffs I thought that a lot of your supporters was just out for trouble at bigger clubs (tongue firmly in cheek 😏 ) but since posting on here I came to realise that you are a good set of lads just like at most other clubs but  who have had some undeserved bad publicity about their club

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
Rick12
September 12, 2022, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

Nice sentiments Ginny. Variety is the spice of life.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
TownSNAFU5
September 12, 2022, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
On GO there was also a high-profile girl from Manchester who posted a lot.  She met up with some on the main posters. Somebody will recall her name.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
Kris2
September 12, 2022, 11:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
If football teams place in the league was based on the amount of users their forum has I'd imagine we'd be in the Premiership. With the advent of social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Discord groups and so on the message board has become a bit of an archaic way of doing things, many clubs fans moved over completely to social media but The Fishy survives even though Facebook also has plenty a GTFC presence.

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why it's the case from older fans being less into phones and social media compared to the message board way of doing things that's been around since the 90's to the site providing a lot of content and the links to the club. Sometimes that last one has been for the worst but there are plenty of reasons to congregate on here, a lot of club's fans don't have any sort of quality forum as an option these days.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
OddShapedBalls
September 12, 2022, 12:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
I wouldn't class myself as an older fan, but social media is poison and I refuse to keep making Mr Zuckerberg billions by using it.   I much prefer the old message board for interaction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2022, 1:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
On GO there was also a high-profile girl from Manchester who posted a lot.  She met up with some on the main posters. Somebody will recall her name.  

Remember her well.... though her user name not so much. Think it ended with "girl" but as to what it started with now, I'm at a loss

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 39
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2022, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

The Canada poster was Kev Blyth ( an old schoolmate of mine from way back when )

We were still in touch until earlier this year on FB but he's had some health issues recently so has dropped his account on there

Hopefully he'll bounce back and who knows, might even be tempted to post here on the Fishy
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 39
Poojah
September 12, 2022, 1:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Remember her well.... though her user name not so much. Think it ended with "girl" but as to what it started with now, I'm at a loss

gymgirl.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2022, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

gymgirl.

That's it Poojah

I was half right but just couldn't get the first part.... I blame it on my age  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 39
JudeKinsella
September 12, 2022, 4:28pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +17
Quoted from Trawler
Without wishing to come across all "we're massive", The Fishy must surely be the busiest club message board in L2?   I haven't done much research, (and Rob may be able to throw some light on this assertion), but a cursory glance at the boards of other clubs shows far more activity here than elsewhere (even Bratford's). We might not always agree with each other, but this forum is a thriving online community in comparison to those I have looked at, and for that I am grateful. There's always something of interest to read here or on non footy. It's been a constant GTFC presence in my life for years and years. Keep up the good work Rob, and other admins.  Long live the Fishy.

Can confirm -  as someone that has spent the last week interacting with L2 forums - this is by far the most active one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
DB
September 12, 2022, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from JudeKinsella

Can confirm -  as someone that has spent the last week interacting with L2 forums - this is by far the most active one.

As Tina Turner would say.............SIMPLY THE BEST, BETTER THAN ALL THE REST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5E8ie2pdM&list=OLAK5uy_kzaPee4kbpxPhX8cJAdK0fnSUU4pYpI8A

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
SteffiMariner
September 12, 2022, 4:35pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Didn't the GO shut down to some disagreement over a potentially racist remark? Goalkeeper (an american?) posted something that someone took offence to and it all went in to melt down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
Maringer
September 12, 2022, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
The forum shut down for a while then restarted on a different messageboard. I had the odd look there from time to time but it was very quiet. I think most former posters probably didn't know about it coming back on a different location.

No idea if the original shutdown was for any reason in particular.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2022, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
The forum shut down for a while then restarted on a different messageboard. I had the odd look there from time to time but it was very quiet. I think most former posters probably didn't know about it coming back on a different location.

No idea if the original shutdown was for any reason in particular.

Looking back in the archives I found a post from "Golly" which might explain

It would appear the message board host (excoboard) is either no more or has serious technical issues.

So maybe similar to when Rivals went to the wall and the old Electronic Fishcake re-emerged as this site, The Fishy
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 39
BenBB
September 13, 2022, 7:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +842
Gold Stars: 30
It's a good forum.

Wonder if we'll see a revamp in the future though, it's running on forum software that was [url=https://www.eblah.com/]officially discontinued in 2008[/url]! Can't be easy to keep that going Rob!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › This forum - a counterpoint

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.