Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 146 Guests

Just Back  (merged)

This thread currently has 8,198 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
September 14, 2022, 8:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
League tables can be very misleading this early in the season. I was guilty of looking at the table before last night and thinking we should get 3 points but I thought Gillingham were pretty decent once they settled down. Be surprised if they're bottom 6 at the end.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
sam gy
September 14, 2022, 8:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
I liked the combo of Morris, Green and Holohan in midfield, but that left us short up top. Last night we were overran and two big signings in Hunt and Green were left on the bench. Who’d be a manager eh.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
HertsGTFC
September 14, 2022, 8:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Disappointing not to get a win at home but PH has options in the squad which is deeper than ever. Also we have Khan to come back relatively soon and McAtee and Scannell all being well will be on schedule and fit and firing post Christmas.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
Jarmo.Is.God
September 14, 2022, 9:01am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Overall, it was bang average, but it wasn't a disaster some people are making out.
I personally would have taken Taylor off and replaced with Orsi as a different option.
Nothing against Taylor, he just wasn't getting anything from the ref.
Kiernan was good, he looks bright, but sometimes lacks that final product, but that's probably why he's in league 2.
Efetee wasn't great again.
Richardson looked bright and confident, but the game often passed him by, not his fault.
I remember Adelakun being good at Scunny, and i've no idea how he's back in this league, but he looked very lively, and played some wicked forward balls that we struggled with.

We did have spells where we played some nice football, but unfortunately wasn't very often last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
Zmariner
September 14, 2022, 9:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
League tables can be very misleading this early in the season. I was guilty of looking at the table before last night and thinking we should get 3 points but I thought Gillingham were pretty decent once they settled down. Be surprised if they're bottom 6 at the end.

Agreed, I thought Gillingham were the best of the sides that I have seen here this season in the league. That said we did not fire last night. Glennon  seemed to be running on empty and struggled, also the midfield was pretty ineffective leaving the forwards with scraps.
JMD Seems hard done to me, not the greatest defender but definitely has more end product than most of the forwards I saw last night.
The new forward got little service but was also very ineffective and I would’ve not left him on for so long. I thought Smith played very well but would have given man of the match to Kiernan who I thought battled well all the way through And I hope that we signed him in January. A draw was about right but their substitutes were much more effective than ours is why we finished on the back foot utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
pontoonlew
September 14, 2022, 9:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
I thought Adelakun and their sub Green were very good, Green in particular
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
Lost in Lincoln
September 14, 2022, 9:40am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from wiggers
Morris came off holding his calf, think he’s pulled it slightly by the looks of it. Holohan was poor this evening, worst game for town imo. Hunt showed some nice touches when he came on. Draw a fair result. Would be interested to see their goal again. Looked like a foul on the keeper…..

I thought that too, but having seen it back, he went down far too easily for me, and laid there while they scored - clearly expecting to get a free kick.

Put it this way, had it been the other way round and it was disallowed, we'd all be FEWMIN!

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 36 - 55
Rodley Mariner
September 14, 2022, 9:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Mandron was a handful as well. I thought we got outmuscled a bit at times which is a rarity and it just felt flat on the pitch and in the stands. Still think there is a challenge to just find the right balance. Playing Richardson closer to Taylor is great but we missed a third man in the middle I thought.

Everyone seems to agree Morris and Holohan weren't at their best but maybe they just needed a bit more help. I wondered if a third centre mid to help them might have meant we didn't need Clifton's endeavour and maybe Richardson could have played off the left but looking to tuck in close to Taylor when he could. Do think Hurst has been considerably better this time around at solving these kind of problems and he's certainly got options in the squad.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
Poojah
September 14, 2022, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
My first time at BP since early May and only the second time I’ve seen Town this season, the other occasion being at Walsall. Last night was almost the reverse of that performance; Town on the front foot and dominant for the first 10 minutes against a poor looking Gillingham side before everything flipped on its head for the remaining 80.

We’re still adjusting to life back in the league and in the whole you have to be very satisfied with how we’ve started the season and as such any criticism, I feel, needs to be tempered. If we’re picking holes, I thought we were sloppy in possession and lacked ideas on the ball, and whilst it seemed obvious things weren’t working for us I didn’t really see a concerted effort to change things despite the strength available on the bench. Waiting until the 75th minute to make a substitution seems a little wasteful given the luxury of being able to make 5 changes, if needed.

That said, I think Gillingham deserve some credit. They gave us the game I expected; dogged, physical, cynical at times and determined not to lose. For all that was made of their attacking record going into the game, they’re not a team that wilts easily, as they showed in their previous game grinding out a draw against Swindon with 10 men for 80 minutes.

On the whole, a little disappointing on the back of a great performance and win at Newport, and perhaps a look needed at how we approach things at home, but by no means a disaster. Three wins and three draws from our first seven games; that kind of form will see us there or thereabouts if we can just find a way to be more proactive at home.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
Hagrid
September 14, 2022, 9:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,486
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from pontoonlew
I thought Adelakun and their sub Green were very good, Green in particular

the bloke who spent half his time on his bottom? thought he was shite, quick and that was it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back  (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.