Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 129 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 6,679 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
October 1, 2022, 5:30pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Good game to watch. An early defensive blunder from the first corner of the game for our now customary early concede gave the huge Town turn out palpitations. I'm pretty sure the formation was three at the back but Glennon and Clifton spent so much time defending that it was hard to tell. For much of the first 20 minutes midfield were chasing shadows. Cannot recall Khan or Richardson getting a pass.
Gradually Town worked their way into the game with Hunt in particular finding his passing touch. From a truly excellent corner which swung in and hit the bar Richardson forced the ball home for a deserved equaliser from about 2 yards.
Second half was very similar. Crocombe (looking more confident by the game) made a couple of good punches. Khan went off-unclear whether injured or just replaced after showing real promise. Pepple was disappointing. Orsi could have won it late on but fluffed his effort not once but twice. The good thing is that our current form allows us to have a degree of patience with the younger lads which they need.
Waterfall, Smith and Maher were our best with Hunt definitely our most creative player. It was important not to lose.  Point gained.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
RonMariner
October 1, 2022, 5:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,844
Gold Stars: 227
Excellent point away at one of the top sides in the division.

I know that some recent results have been disappointing but we have to retain some perspective here. Nine months ago we couldn't buy a win and looked to be stuck in the NL for the duration. Twelve months before that we were the worst team in the EFL, with the likes of Scunthorpe looking down on us. (And beating us!).

So to be competing well at the right end of the table right now is fabulous given where we were not so long ago.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
fishcake63
October 1, 2022, 6:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
A game that could have gone either way but always felt we was in the game against a top team away from home we are not a zillion miles away from been a top team in this league , our back 3 all played well today along with hunt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
Plankton
October 1, 2022, 6:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
We look really good at times, play it well and look to press forward. I think we're doing alright, lots to improve but nothing is dire so I'm feeling confident that we'll have a very settled first season back in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
chipsandgravy
October 1, 2022, 6:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Agree with all of that. Thought Holihan had a decent game as well. Special mention to Crocombe. I don't half feel safe with him between the sticks!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
pontoonlew
October 1, 2022, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
I don’t expect us to go up (or down) this season so in that case I want to be entertained as often as possible and I have been today.

Positives - the 3 at the back worked. I think Clifton is a RWB after years of searching for his perfect position. CBS were all class. Good performances from Hunt, Holohan and Richardson.

Negatives - Pepple looked like a competition winner. Glennon looks really off the boil as well. We’ve still not found a proper striker and with one today we’d have won that game 3-1.

I think if we go 3 at the back going forward then Bennett coming in is inevitable.

A good game, a good point and some really positive things!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
Hagrid
October 1, 2022, 6:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,488
Gold Stars: 537
Crocombe error for their goal.

3cb’s excellent. Clear handball missed with 5 to go by linesman and referee to deny us a pen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
Lost in Lincoln
October 1, 2022, 6:57pm
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
We need to cut the errors out, several times in the 1st half we gave the ball away and with 1 pass they were in behind us, if their number 9 had any pace, he'd have had afield day!

Other than that gripe though, I though we played OK once we settled, 2nd half was much better.

Really not sure on Pepple, he looked lost today. He doesn't seem to have much pace, not does he seem to be strong enough to hold the ball up. We looked alot more mobile when he went off.

Orsi looked like he's pulled a groin, he was holding it a few mins before he went off - hope it's not serious 😬

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 37
acko338
October 1, 2022, 7:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 33
Richardson deserved his goal - several.occasions where his twists and turns and sharp runs kept possession in tight areas.

Not scared to run at players with the ball. A couple of times he could have broken through if he had been able to anticipate where the pass was going.

One to persevere with to make progress.

I wonder if playing him with Orsi for a few games could get a better understanding?

Overall - their passing and positioning was mostly crisper than ours, we had short spells that looked good - their passing seemed better with players clear and ready to receive in space, which made our guys chase more !

Obviously still a work in progress to adapt against teams used to this league !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
It Bites
October 1, 2022, 7:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
I am really trying to be positive this season but if Pepple plays another game for us I'll be very surprised. He was so far out of his depth it was embarrassing for the lad . I think Clee Town will be his level
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.