Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Early Kick-Off?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 152 Guests

Early Kick-Off?

This thread currently has 3,233 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
exiledmeggie
October 2, 2022, 5:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
There is talk with some Scottish Championship clubs about moving games to a 12:45 Kick-Off during this energy crisis, to reduce costs on floodlights and avoid that 3 o’clock Saturday embargo on live streaming of games.

Should this be considered in the EFL?

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
October 2, 2022, 5:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,080
Gold Stars: 200

Mansfield have already announced a 1pm kick-off for the same reason.

https://minmin-tv-cp.com/mansf.....gy-crisis-mansfield/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
aldi_01
October 2, 2022, 7:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Was a discussion on here about it the other week. As I said at the time, has anyone done an actual investigation as to whether it’s worth doing with potential loss of people attending…

My worry is it could stop people going and upset the fans base who have likely planned for almost all games being 3pm KO.

I understand the need to save money but, as with house hold bills, the amount of electrify being used hasn’t increased, more the price to actually buy it and Kw etc…basically they’re flipping us.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Les Brechin
October 2, 2022, 7:53pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,722
Gold Stars: 174
Not for me. I work until 1pm most Saturdays and bought my season ticket with that in mind.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
HertsGTFC
October 2, 2022, 8:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
I'm being generic here but if the increased cost of energy eats into the playing budget of a club or dilutes any other part of the match day experience then I think any measure should at least be considered. Personally the only thing I'm particularly passionate about is before we did anything though I'd want it to be after a brief consultation process if at all possible.

There is an obvious quick win, abandon the Pizza trophy then that would mean a cost saving for everyone.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
MarinerRob
October 2, 2022, 8:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I leave at 7.00 in the morning to get to Blundell Park for 3.00. A 1.00 kick off would make it nearly impossible to get there on time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Poojah
October 2, 2022, 8:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from MarinerRob
I leave at 7.00 in the morning to get to Blundell Park for 3.00. A 1.00 kick off would make it nearly impossible to get there on time.

It’s a rush for me, too. I’m busy running errands for my kids on Saturday mornings and don’t leave the Leeds until about 1pm. It’s a struggle to make it to games in time as it is; it would effectively nullify my season ticket with midweek games already challenging to make due to my work commitments.

The club should be well insulated (pun not intended) due to the terrific take up of season tickets in the summer and the guaranteed income that brings. I think the club would have to think very hard about the potential inconvenience to a good % of 5,600+ people who have already forked out their hard earned.

Like many others, I waived my right to a refund for the curtailed 19/20 season and bought my ST the following season in the knowledge that I might not and did not get to see any football. On a personal note, I’d be fúcked off if the club were to move all remaining, winter Saturday home fixtures to an early kick off, and I doubt I would be alone.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Limerick Mariner
October 2, 2022, 8:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,745
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I'm being generic here but if the increased cost of energy eats into the playing budget of a club or dilutes any other part of the match day experience then I think any measure should at least be considered. Personally the only thing I'm particularly passionate about is before we did anything though I'd want it to be after a brief consultation process if at all possible.

There is an obvious quick win, abandon the Pizza trophy then that would mean a cost saving for everyone.

No way should we change from 3pm Saturday. It doesn't work for our fan base.

Pizza Cup can KO at any time for the game to be played during daylight hours. On the 8th of November we should ko at 9 am v Man City u21s though. Make the cnuts get up at 5 am...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
aldi_01
October 2, 2022, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Don’t get me wrong, I can see the logic and I get why clubs would think about it but if it’s not really gonna save you anything, given the potential lost revenue then it hardly seems worth it.

The amount of inconvenience it would cause me upset among fans is something to consider. A big shift at GTFC has been fan engagement and gaining fan support. I know they’ve made the odd mistake but they’ve rectified it, this has the potential to be something that could upset fans but cause long term damage to work that’s been done already.

We’ve a relatively high amount of exiles for a club of our size, they travel in, and as Poojah says, it would potentially render his season ticket pointless, May be not all season but for a large part of it.

1700 of us parted with our cash during covid on the slim hole thr government would see sense and open stadiums, they didn’t for us but I took that gamble.

This is different in that I know games like Mansfield away or Donnie could potentially move but almost every game KOs at 3. That works for exiles and locals…

The question has to be, how much would they save?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
supertown
October 2, 2022, 8:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from MarinerRob

I reckon you’d have to leave at 5 😬
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Early Kick-Off?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.