Mariner_09
October 8, 2022, 7:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from RichMariner
Our exiles are a great asset for away games. The club has the support of the local population plus those who have decided to live elsewhere in the UK for various reasons (and there are a lot of us).

I'm in Leeds and I know of at least three others who post on here regularly that live in the area.

I know at least two others at my workplace (employs 500).

Also, once, during lockdown, I walked past a house at the bottom of our road wearing my Town shirt. I'd walked past it many times. A bloke shouted 'Up the Mariners!' from the top window — he was a big Grimsby fan and had no idea another lived a 30-second stroll up the road.

Makes me wonder what our exile numbers will be like for the next generation like my son, who was born in Leeds and won't have the same bonding experience I had with GTFC, i.e. living just a few blocks away from BP.

I’ve never lived in Grimsby or NE Lincs but I’m as Town obsessed as anyone having lived in East Yorkshire almost my entire life. The generation before me has never lived there either but the culture of going and watching Town on a Saturday afternoon was ingrained in me from a very young age so not living in the area has made zero difference to my connection with the club. I think it therefore bodes well for future generations who have grown up exiles.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
Limerick Mariner
October 8, 2022, 9:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from RichMariner
Our exiles are a great asset for away games. The club has the support of the local population plus those who have decided to live elsewhere in the UK for various reasons (and there are a lot of us).

I'm in Leeds and I know of at least three others who post on here regularly that live in the area.

I know at least two others at my workplace (employs 500).

Also, once, during lockdown, I walked past a house at the bottom of our road wearing my Town shirt. I'd walked past it many times. A bloke shouted 'Up the Mariners!' from the top window — he was a big Grimsby fan and had no idea another lived a 30-second stroll up the road.

Makes me wonder what our exile numbers will be like for the next generation like my son, who was born in Leeds and won't have the same bonding experience I had with GTFC, i.e. living just a few blocks away from BP.

You look round at away games and you realise just how many McMenemy babes there are. These are fans who are circa 57-67 would have been kids in those 2 seasons, whose parents will have taken them along and they got hooked. My Dad took me to my first game the season before, 70-71, but those two seasons we went to loads of games. He lost interest quite quickly after - he hated the Ron Ashman appointment, but I was set for life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawley Support

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.