This thread currently has 2,028 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 6, 2022, 8:29am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Of interest to me as I have suffered with panic attacks for decades. My wife works for NAViGO and met Paul Hurst and the players last week at the Paul Merson event held by NAViGO at the Grimsby  Auditorium.

(snippet of related article in today's Telegraph)

"Grimsby Town have announced that their next League Two fixture at home to Crawley Town this Saturday will be the first dedicated Mental Health Awareness Matchday for the club.
At the end of July, the club revealed they had begun a new partnership for the 22-23 season with social enterprise NAViGO who provide various services surrounding mental health care for people in the North East Lincolnshire area.
NAViGO will be heavily involved in the awareness matchday, which will aim to encourage positive conversations around the subject amongst supporters.
Various activities will be taking place at Blundell Park on the day."

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
October 6, 2022, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
A post that once again proves the tick cross system on here is laughable…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Lost in Lincoln
October 6, 2022, 9:28am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from aldi_01

You could post that you had won the Euromillions, you plan to give every member of the fishy 100k and give the rest to the club and some would still red cross it...

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 19
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2022, 9:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from aldi_01

It should be removed as it adds zero value.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2022, 9:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from promotion plaice

Of interest to me as I have suffered with panic attacks for decades. My wife works for NAViGO and met Paul Hurst and the players last week at the Paul Merson event held by NAViGO at the Grimsby  Auditorium.

(snippet of related article in today's Telegraph)

"Grimsby Town have announced that their next League Two fixture at home to Crawley Town this Saturday will be the first dedicated Mental Health Awareness Matchday for the club.
At the end of July, the club revealed they had begun a new partnership for the 22-23 season with social enterprise NAViGO who provide various services surrounding mental health care for people in the North East Lincolnshire area.
NAViGO will be heavily involved in the awareness matchday, which will aim to encourage positive conversations around the subject amongst supporters.
Various activities will be taking place at Blundell Park on the day."

Excellent stuff, I hope you have the support you need PP.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
ska face
October 6, 2022, 9:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Appreciate the gesture, but would like to see the club square this up against their partnership with skybet. It’s recently come to light that EFL clubs are directly benefitting financially from the gambling losses made by their fans on skybet. I think that’s immoral personally and would like to see the club donate any income received through that channel to charities or organisations which support people with gambling addiction.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Poojah
October 6, 2022, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from ska face
Appreciate the gesture, but would like to see the club square this up against their partnership with skybet. It’s recently come to light that EFL clubs are directly benefitting financially from the gambling losses made by their fans on skybet. I think that’s immoral personally and would like to see the club donate any income received through that channel to charities or organisations which support people with gambling addiction.

Out of interest, are the payments clubs receive derived directly from losses relating to bets placed on their matches, as opposed to general sponsorship money? That feels pretty low.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
ska face
October 6, 2022, 10:13am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from Poojah

Out of interest, are the payments clubs receive derived directly from losses relating to bets placed on their matches, as opposed to general sponsorship money? That feels pretty low.

It appears to be income derived from gamblers who have signed up or placed bets directly through links or platforms provided by each club, from what I can gather, rather than a general blanket sponsorship income given to all clubs (which I imagine is accounted for elsewhere).

This article from last week covers it - https://amp.theguardian.com/fo.....s-losses-with-skybet

The “affiliate scheme” appears to be being phased out but clubs are still maintaining an income from legacy signups made in previous seasons. Not unlikely that GTFC are likely to be generating some income, small as it may be, from this.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
diehardmariner
October 6, 2022, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,704
Gold Stars: 543
Is the SkyBet arrangement direct with the EFL and the club have to toe-the-line as per membership agreement, or is it one the club have signed up to individually?

Either way, I'd definitely appreciate them taking a stance as described or just completely disassociating themselves from the gambling industry altogether.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
Poojah
October 6, 2022, 10:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,778
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from ska face

It appears to be income derived from gamblers who have signed up or placed bets directly through links or platforms provided by each club, from what I can gather, rather than a general blanket sponsorship income given to all clubs (which I imagine is accounted for elsewhere).

This article from last week covers it - https://amp.theguardian.com/fo.....s-losses-with-skybet

The “affiliate scheme” appears to be being phased out but clubs are still maintaining an income from legacy signups made in previous seasons. Not unlikely that GTFC are likely to be generating some income, small as it may be, from this.

Cheers. It’s a murky world, gambling. Back in the early days of my career I used to work with a number of big gaming firms; Betfred, Skybet, Blue Square, Sporting Index and the like. I’d have access to the back-end reporting numbers and some of the individual losses were absolutely eye watering, and the unhealthy patterns as clear as day. You could see bets being chased. Put me off gambling for life.

There are absolute reprobates working in those firms. A couple of chaps stand out in particular. One bloke, an ex-Etonian who was once absolutely adamant we should take him to a brothel while on a trip to Gibraltar (I didn’t fancy putting that through expenses!) once recounted the story of a bloke who ended up killing himself after a spread bet went wrong.

For those unfamiliar with spread betting, it’s slightly different to a regular bet whereby you can lose more than your original stake. Let’s say you want to bet on how many goals are in Town’s game on Saturday, the ‘spread’ might be set at 3, meaning you could sell (bet on the outcome being lower) or buy (bet on the outcome being higher). If you bought at £1 and there were 5 goals, you would make £2.

Anyway, this bloke had sold on Brian Lara’s innings when the West Indies played England in 1994. The guy had sold at a few grand a piece at something like 75 runs. Lara hit a then world record 375, leaving him with a 7-figure tab, and so he offed himself the next day.

As this old client of mine was recounting the story, in the middle of a posh wood panelled restaurant on the Strand, he was literally crying with laughter about how his wife had written to them for help as not only had she lost her husband and father of her kids, they were set to lose their family home. Their response; they made a paper aeroplane out of the letter and had a competition to see who could throw it the farthest.

Another client, a real nasty piece of work, used to pin the begging letters from remorseful gambling addicts behind his desk. He showed me his collection; there must have been 40 or 50 letters there. He was as proud as punch.

It’s dirty money, no doubt about it. Given the new values the club is seemingly now extolling, they 100% should be distancing themselves from these kind of schemes.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mental Health Awareness Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.