Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Saturday 3pm blackout to end?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 137 Guests

Saturday 3pm blackout to end?

This thread currently has 4,863 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Grantham_Mariner
October 12, 2022, 11:51am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
[tweet]1580147516393209856[/tweet]

Hope so

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
HerveJosse
October 12, 2022, 12:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Beware the law of unintended consequences.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
ginnywings
October 12, 2022, 2:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It was always going to happen from the minute streaming games became a thing.

People sniffing profit is a driver in everything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
supertown
October 12, 2022, 3:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Hope not , that would be a bad move
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
grimsby pete
October 12, 2022, 3:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
It would be good for me who can not get to any games because of poor health.

On the down side it will effect gates so the price must cover the missing fans who will stop attending games at the park.

On the up side we won't have to spend millions on a new ground.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
DB
October 12, 2022, 3:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from grimsby pete
It would be good for me who can not get to any games because of poor health.

On the down side it will effect gates so the price must cover the missing fans who will stop attending games at the park.

On the up side we won't have to spend millions on a new ground.

The same applies to me, but I wonder if the £10 will rise because the EFL will want a cut.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
aldi_01
October 12, 2022, 4:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’m not entirely sure how I feel about it.

I understand the argument that it could hit gates, although we won’t know until we try long term I guess, but I also undetand that many a fan can’t attend for whatever reason and therefore this still provides a platform for them to see games…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
lukeo
October 12, 2022, 5:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Let's be fair. It's very easy now to get hold of a dodgy stick / app at a cheap price so anyone who's not bothered about going and would rather watch online mostly do already surely?
I paid £30 and I have a whole year of free efl live games, sky, bt, movies etc... I still pay for mariners TV just so I'm giving something to town still though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
GrimRob
October 12, 2022, 5:11pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
Have to move with the times. Resistance to technology is pointless! It's an extra income stream for the clubs and should benefit us with our relatively large exile following.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 23
HerveJosse
October 12, 2022, 7:04pm
Champagne Drinker
With no 3 pm Saturday blackout there will no longer be a reason to play games at 3pm on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
aldi_01
October 13, 2022, 6:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
With no 3 pm Saturday blackout there will no longer be a reason to play games at 3pm on Saturday

There’s no real reason now, hence why there’s always a number of games that KO at random times.

The blackout won’t affect KO times, the concern seems to be focused on attendances which is understandable but I guess theres little evidence to call upon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
pen penfras
October 13, 2022, 8:09am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
I suspect we won't be hurt too badly, but small clubs near big cities will be screwed. I guess that's one way for us to climb the leagues
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
HerveJosse
October 13, 2022, 10:38am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

There’s no real reason now, hence why there’s always a number of games that KO at random times.

The blackout won’t affect KO times, the concern seems to be focused on attendances which is understandable but I guess theres little evidence to call upon.

Current EFL rules require games to kick off between 11.30am and 3.15pm on a Saturday expect that will go if the blackout goes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
aldi_01
October 13, 2022, 4:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Current EFL rules require games to kick off between 11.30am and 3.15pm on a Saturday expect that will go if the blackout goes

So basically, we play at 3 because we always have done, and nothing really about the blackout.

As stated, this could affect those on the periphery of a big city, surrounded by bigger clubs but then again, they’re probably already affected by it so all it’s really doing is opening an income stream for clubs, whether we agree is irrelevant, we know they’ll take no notice and look at the cash…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
diehardmariner
October 14, 2022, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
The traditionalist in me hates the idea of removing this blackout and the prospect of games getting played at any other time than 3pm on a Saturday.

But these are rules that are donkeys years old.  We have to move with the times and the clubs that think on their feet with this change will still survive and prosper.  

Just like how home taping didn't kill the record industry, I don't think streaming of games at 3pm will kill football either.

It definitely opens up new potential options for us (and other clubs to explore).  Whilst 3pm on a Saturday does suit a lot of us, it could well be that 7:45pm on a Friday evening suits more of us.  Or even Sunday at 1pm.  Selfishly, I think I'd actually prefer home games on a Friday evening.  I've always preferred evening games and my Saturday's are often completely dominated by a 90 minute game. Friday fixtures would give me back my whole weekend.  But that's not likely to be the case for most.

We've a shitload of exiles, I'm not sure if it's proportionate to other clubs but it certainly feels like we've got an awful lot.  That's a big income stream we could tap into for streaming of games.  

Whatever changes are coming and happen, the key is going to be making sure the numbers coming through the gate don't dwindle.  That has to be about making the experience once in the ground the best it possibly can be.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
jaygy
October 14, 2022, 1:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
We need to remember the cost of living is going up massively and this means a day out at the football is not doable for many families now and attendances will naturally fall away, banishing the blackout will enable clubs like ours to tap into a exiled fan base and get much needed revenue. There is nothing like the real thing when it comes to footy and watching on a screen is never going to be as good as being there live but for many people it's going to be harder and harder to attend. I don't think our club will suffer and also may make a few extra quid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
toontown
October 14, 2022, 2:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
I think it will affect attendances over time, for people brought up on always going to the game that may be want they want to do. But for people who are youngsters now it may, possibly, affect it if they just get used to the idea of watching on a stream, or even worse just watch premiershite at that time instead.
And the risk is then as time goes on fewer people go, so less of an atmosphere so less reason to go in person and so on.

Whether the outcome will lose money overall or not though I'm not sure but it is possible.

In my opinion this is not an easy decision, once the die is cast there will be no going back, even If clubs at our level lose out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
pen penfras
October 15, 2022, 8:45am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner
The traditionalist in me hates the idea of removing this blackout and the prospect of games getting played at any other time than 3pm on a Saturday.

But these are rules that are donkeys years old.  We have to move with the times and the clubs that think on their feet with this change will still survive and prosper.  

Just like how home taping didn't kill the record industry, I don't think streaming of games at 3pm will kill football either.

It definitely opens up new potential options for us (and other clubs to explore).  Whilst 3pm on a Saturday does suit a lot of us, it could well be that 7:45pm on a Friday evening suits more of us.  Or even Sunday at 1pm.  Selfishly, I think I'd actually prefer home games on a Friday evening.  I've always preferred evening games and my Saturday's are often completely dominated by a 90 minute game. Friday fixtures would give me back my whole weekend.  But that's not likely to be the case for most.

We've a shitload of exiles, I'm not sure if it's proportionate to other clubs but it certainly feels like we've got an awful lot.  That's a big income stream we could tap into for streaming of games.  

Whatever changes are coming and happen, the key is going to be making sure the numbers coming through the gate don't dwindle.  That has to be about making the experience once in the ground the best it possibly can be.

It's not about moving games to a different time, it's about allowing teams to stream the matches to a UK audience. 3pm Saturday will still be match time for the EFL. It's already easy to get around the blackout, so might aswell make it official from our point of view. I'm sure lots of other clubs are against it since they'll be hit harder. Our large exile population means we'll definitely benefit as long as it doesn't reduce bums on seats
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
diehardmariner
October 17, 2022, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from pen penfras

It's not about moving games to a different time, it's about allowing teams to stream the matches to a UK audience. 3pm Saturday will still be match time for the EFL. It's already easy to get around the blackout, so might aswell make it official from our point of view. I'm sure lots of other clubs are against it since they'll be hit harder. Our large exile population means we'll definitely benefit as long as it doesn't reduce bums on seats

Yes, but I was replying to a handful of comments regards then moving away from the traditional 3pm kick-off times.

I also think the removal of the blackout will start the ball rolling in EFL clubs picking and choosing when they kick-off.  My understanding is, at present, permission has to be sought to deviate from that time-frame (TV games included).  In five years time, I think the EFL fixture list could look a lot like the Premier League one, more games kicking off outside a 3pm Sat window than those that do.  

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
HerveJosse
October 17, 2022, 7:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Having read more around this it is clear that the EFL are not considering lifting the black out so that clubs can take the benefit of their own streaming revenue but so the tv rights can be offered to the large streamers Eg Amazon , Netflix as an alternative to the satellite providers the difference being the streaming giants can offer multiple games at the same time hence the need for the blackout to go. How this benefits us is far less clear then being in receipt of  your own revenues generated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
aldi_01
October 17, 2022, 7:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
My understanding has always been that this is, in theory, to open up the market for showing more or making more, as stated, from online platforms and the likes.

Time will tell I guess…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Morris Minor
October 17, 2022, 9:39pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -606
Gold Stars: 12
Never had a Saturday 3 pm blackout. All games are available abroad already.
They are there if you know where to look.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
Poojah
October 17, 2022, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from Morris Minor
Never had a Saturday 3 pm blackout. All games are available abroad already.
They are there if you know where to look.

Never? It will have been to find live coverage of a Town match at 3pm on a Saturday, in the Algarve in 1986 I’d have imagined.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
gtfc_chris
October 18, 2022, 5:45am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
Dependant on the particulars of how this comes about and what opens up in terms of TV/Streaming rights and any money the Club may see from it, I'm interested to see which direction the Club will go with ticket prices.

One train of thought is that if the attendances fall due to the ability to stream at home more readily and easily than present (IPTV, VPN etc) then the Club would likely need to raise ticket prices to balance the sheet. My logic goes that this would turn more people away and towards the streaming option, making it detrimental to the atmosphere and the 'feel' of the match as we know it today.

The other train of thought is that - especially if there is a better financial package with a new way of working - the Club could lower ticket prices in order to compete with the 'easier option' in respect to getting fans into the ground. One logic suggests that lower prices offers more attraction to actually being at the game and could lead to an increase in attendance beyond what we've already seen this season.

At this moment there is a million and one different ways it could potentially go and until more details are known as to what the Clubs get out of the change it's hard to really gauge how this will go. My only hope is that however they structure the move it doesn't impact on the magic of being at a game. I know this comes down to the individual fans perspective but it would be so sad to see Clubs attendances dwindle because people would rather watch at home if the option becomes easy and cheap enough as a a result of the change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Saturday 3pm blackout to end?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.