2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
October 21, 2022, 8:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Watching Ipswich v Derby on tv this evening my first League One game for a while it appears to me that is a massive step up from League 1 as I remember it
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
October 21, 2022, 11:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,835
Gold Stars: 222
Yes agree I enjoyed watching that.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
Rick12
October 22, 2022, 9:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Yes theres definite quality in league 1 and players in the past and now that will go on to bigger and better. I note as well that some of the attendances at this level are better than some clubs in the top flight abroad eg La Liga for one .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
toontown
October 22, 2022, 10:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
The jump from league 2 to 1 seems to be bigger than the past, at least that's my impression, a d the jump to championship is enormous as Pollock found out the other day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
RonMariner
October 23, 2022, 10:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,847
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from toontown
The jump from league 2 to 1 seems to be bigger than the past, at least that's my impression, a d the jump to championship is enormous as Pollock found out the other day.

It seems so. FGR topped L2 last season but are struggling in the drop zone in L1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
Yossarian
October 23, 2022, 10:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
An intersting thread.  Do people think the quality of football across the 5 leagues (yes..including nationsl league)  has changed over the last few years?

I thought the quality last season was very good at NL level    ...  and maybe we see quality players playing much deeper into the lower tiers than previously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 19
Oly1987
October 23, 2022, 11:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,228
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Yossarian
An intersting thread.  Do people think the quality of football across the 5 leagues (yes..including nationsl league)  has changed over the last few years?

I thought the quality last season was very good at NL level    ...  and maybe we see quality players playing much deeper into the lower tiers than previously.

Funny you should include the national league as HITC sevens did a piece on the increased quality, attendance figures and money involved in the 5th tier of English football. Only 3 teams in the current NL are not fully professional and that there are professional teams even as far down as the 6th and possibly 7th tier where in other countries there isnt nearly as much depth in quality teams
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
Mariner_09
October 23, 2022, 11:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
The League 1 table paints a mixed picture on the gap. You have Exeter doing well, Port Vale and Bristol Rovers only a couple of points behind but still very comfortable at this stage of the season. Then you have FGR in the bottom four.

In L2, Gillingham and Wimbledon aren’t doing that well and Donny and Crewe are about as mid table as it gets. That indicates, on the whole, the gap isn’t enormous. In the unlikely event we did go straight through this league, we’d have to strengthen in the summer quite a lot but I think Hursty could keep us up in L1.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
Rick12
October 24, 2022, 8:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Yossarian

I think on the whole there is a tendency for players to be fitter and stronger to times gone by as sport science has helped evolved the game. I remember watching all or nothing on Amazon prime on Manchester City and being impressed at some of the machines they use for recuperation purposes after matches. Likewise at Arsenal medical data is calibrated on computers and used to help the squad amongst other things.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
aldi_01
October 24, 2022, 8:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
So aside from money being a factor, with genuine investment in some cases, although it has ultimately been the downfall of some clubs…since the advent of the premier league, the quality of football has improved? sodomist…that doesn’t fit the narrative at all…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › EFL Football Quality

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.