diehardmariner
October 26, 2022, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Think Taylor would be “less of a problem” if we played someone closer to him, but not trying to undertake the role McAtee provides, and a little surprised we haven’t seen Orsi start a game alongside him and even when Pebble has come on and played alongside we have looked, IMO, more dangerous.

But when we've gone with two up top we've lost bite and energy in the middle.

3 in midfield and we more often than not tend to dominate teams.  I completely get though that we're isolated a lot of the time in attack.

Genuinely surprised we've not seen more of a 3-5-2  this season so we get the best of both worlds.  
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 83
1mickylyons
October 26, 2022, 2:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Taylor is not the issue he is a very good player but he isn't a goalscorer and he is not st his best in the lone striker role.Its the players around him not getting close enough or getting I to the box to support and finish our limited attacks. Last night I thought we looked most likely to score from the Cropper bombs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 83
nightrider
October 26, 2022, 3:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
I'd have paid for Richardson by now.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 26, 2022, 3:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from nightrider
I'd have paid for Richardson by now.

He’s probably not for sale.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 83
Mariner_09
October 26, 2022, 3:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Taylor is not the issue he is a very good player but he isn't a goalscorer and he is not st his best in the lone striker role.Its the players around him not getting close enough or getting I to the box to support and finish our limited attacks. Last night I thought we looked most likely to score from the Cropper bombs.

Taylor is pointless if he's as isolated as he was last night. He does have his limitations but he's acutely aware of them and plays around them as well as any player I've seen. You have to get midfielders lile Holohan and Clifton running beyond him, and wingers like Khan and Keirnan buzzing around him. If he's isolated, the ball will simply come back towards our goal.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 83
Bigdog
October 26, 2022, 4:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner_09

Taylor is pointless if he's as isolated as he was last night. He does have his limitations but he's acutely aware of them and plays around them as well as any player I've seen. You have to get midfielders lile Holohan and Clifton running beyond him, and wingers like Khan and Keirnan buzzing around him. If he's isolated, the ball will simply come back towards our goal.

First half twenty five yards out in space with one player to beat, he pushed it down the left channel, ran after it like his legs were in treacle, crossed the ball which was cleared by the first man. Another time in space he hardly got his shot off, scuffed it with his right foot. Both were excellent opportunities in a tight game. Any decent striker at this level would have dropped his shoulder and got a shot off. These were game changing moments where our first choice striker could have lifted his team.

I've said it before, isolated or not, Taylor provides a small target as he more often than not backs into the centre half for a grapple rather than offer some lateral movement. If we had a striker that was sharp and sprinted off the centre half towards the ball or offered an outlet down the sides of centre halves, the target becomes bigger for a forward ball. Another option would be to play a false nine in between the lines with centre halves not knowing whether to follow him or not. We don't have to be predictable and play with a static target man all the time. Taylor is ok and he'll do a job, but he's missing that pace, sharpness and finishing we need to compete at the top end of the table. Elsewhere I'd say we've got enough, so I'd invest every bit of January transfer window money on a striker..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 83
MuddyWaters
October 26, 2022, 4:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog

First half twenty five yards out in space with one player to beat, he pushed it down the left channel, ran after it like his legs were in treacle, crossed the ball which was cleared by the first man. Another time in space he hardly got his shot off, scuffed it with his right foot. Both were excellent opportunities in a tight game. Any decent striker at this level would have dropped his shoulder and got a shot off. These were game changing moments where our first choice striker could have lifted his team.

I've said it before, isolated or not, Taylor provides a small target as he more often than not backs into the centre half for a grapple rather than offer some lateral movement. If we had a striker that was sharp and sprinted off the centre half towards the ball or offered an outlet down the sides of centre halves, the target becomes bigger for a forward ball. Another option would be to play a false nine in between the lines with centre halves not knowing whether to follow him or not. We don't have to be predictable and play with a static target man all the time. Taylor is ok and he'll do a job, but he's missing that pace, sharpness and finishing we need to compete at the top end of the table. Elsewhere I'd say we've got enough, so I'd invest every bit of January transfer window money on a striker..

The manager keeps telling us we need a striker so it’s not a mystery, is it? The fact that he signed four strikers in the transfer window and, barring Richardson, the fact that none have looked anything like nailing down a spot shows how difficult it is to find one.

We’ve had four windows under Hurst and he hasn’t found the prolific goal scorer you crave yet so I’m guessing he’s not trying hard enough for you?
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 83
Bigdog
October 26, 2022, 4:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The manager keeps telling us we need a striker so it’s not a mystery, is it? The fact that he signed four strikers in the transfer window and, barring Richardson, the fact that none have looked anything like nailing down a spot shows how difficult it is to find one.

We’ve had four windows under Hurst and he hasn’t found the prolific goal scorer you crave yet so I’m guessing he’s not trying hard enough for you?

I'll give him five windows before I'll say he's not trying hard enough..

The one thing I will say is that PH doesn't seem to sign pacy forwards though.. and it's what defenders fear most..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 83
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 26, 2022, 6:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
I don’t know why people think Hurst should have a supernatural ability to find a 30 goal, fast, target man when the other 23 managers in L2 appear to be facing the same problems.

If you look at the L2 top scorers chart it’s a pretty dispiriting list, headed by an attacking midfielder and Andy Cook (last seen in the Blundell Park dressing room, sucking his thumb and being rocked to sleep by Mark Hughes).

Harry Clifton is 11th top scorer despite many on here spending early season moaning Harry couldn’t even finish a wänk. Taylor’s only one goal off appearing on the list himself.

If we had limitless cash, I’m not convinced I’d take any striker I’ve seen play against Town so far this season. Mandron maybe, but he’s not exactly prolific himself.

I know I sound like a broken record but the PL/Championship academies have spent the last few years pumping out false 9s and inverted wingers rather than strikers who can lead the line. That’s why there is a shortage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 83
TAGG
October 26, 2022, 6:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Not seen any striker in this league that stand out let alone could stick in 20/30 goals this season.
All this bla bla bla about Hurst finding such a striker is so fukin boring.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.