This thread currently has 3,120 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
October 27, 2022, 10:48am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 201

Was a big fan of VAR but not so sure now.

Harry Kane's goal last night was ruled offside despite "ball went backwards" claim.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1585381377301962752

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 27, 2022, 11:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,772
Gold Stars: 81
I was at the match and talk about destroying the joy of football!, it’s ruining the game as a spectacle and should be scrapped. Can you imagine how we would have felt if Waterfall’s goal at Wrexham had been struck off because of Smithy’s actions or Dissy’s goal at County for hand ball?

Bloody hate the system
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
blundellpork
October 27, 2022, 11:04am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
The whole point of VAR was to address clear and obvious errors. This is neither clear nor obvious. VAR is sucking the life out of football, and I’m grateful we don’t have it in the lower leagues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
Hagrid
October 27, 2022, 11:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
kane was in front of the ball despite it going backwards....Right decision, even if i dislike VAR

I find it hard to have any sympathy at all with these clubs and the millions they spunk about on a yearly basis
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 27, 2022, 11:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Hagrid
kane was in front of the ball despite it going backwards....Right decision, even if i dislike VAR

I find it hard to have any sympathy at all with these clubs and the millions they spunk about on a yearly basis

Correct. Technically it was offside.

If you’re a Sporting fan you’d be pïssed off it wouldn’t have been checked by VAR and the goal stood. Someone is going to be annoyed, that’s football. If the technology is there you have to use it.

It’s just an excuse for lazy, thick football pundits to show their lack of understanding of the laws of the game. Talksport would have nothing to moan about if VAR didn’t exist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
Rodley Mariner
October 27, 2022, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Don't like VAR but have greatly enjoyed the selfie-stick footage of Spurs fans celebrating in a very self aware manner before going all sad. Loads of them on Twitter with a 'Game's finished' statement and they are all hilarious.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
October 27, 2022, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Hagrid

Well he wasn't really was he? Where they draw the vertical line, connected to another line showed his kneecap half an inch ahead. Some may say that half an inch is half an inch, but it is subjective as to where you draw the lines, the angles and the precise moment the ball is headed across. It's not football to disallow goals like that.

Whenever a goal is scored the authorities are actively looking for ways to disallow it. Sometimes they go back and look during the build-up to the goal 30 yards out. It is completely ridiculous.

I have said it before but why don't the players or managers refuse to play with VAR as it is ruining the game.

My only team is GTFC but imagine the Spurs fans and staff and players last night - it is becoming a bloody nightmare.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
ska face
October 27, 2022, 11:23am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 851
This was always going to be the case and plenty of normal people had pointed out that introducing VAR was a “Pandora’s box” type situation, but the talking heads, pundits, managers, journos etc just wouldn’t let it be. The whole thing’s fúcked now and I wouldn’t swap our place for one in the Prem with VAR for any money.

It was best summed up by someone on MOTD the other week, might’ve been the City/Liverpool match where there was a contentious VAR decision that could’ve gone either way. The pundit said “some go for you, some go against you, they tend to balance themselves out over the course of a season”….err, yeah, that’s what happened since football was invented and everyone just accepted it. Now you’ve got the same outcome, but you can’t celebrate a goal in case it’s pulled back for someone farting the wrong way 50-yards up the pitch, and the game is held up for 10 mins while the ref does a performative stare at a TV monitor.

Said it before, if we had VAR in the playoffs we would’ve never had that joy we felt after the two goals at County or McAtee at Wrexham, which would’ve probably been all pulled up.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
diehardmariner
October 27, 2022, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543

Correct. Technically it was offside.

If you’re a Sporting fan you’d be pïssed off it wouldn’t have been checked by VAR and the goal stood. Someone is going to be annoyed, that’s football. If the technology is there you have to use it.

It’s just an excuse for lazy, thick football pundits to show their lack of understanding of the laws of the game. Talksport would have nothing to moan about if VAR didn’t exist.

I feel incredibly disappointed in myself for agreeing with Andy Gray, but I don't go to football to see goals scrubbed out for offside knees.  

Yes, I completely agree that the rules are the rules and this belief that VAR is ruling goals out, when it's the application of it to the rules that is causing the issue.

But I just don't like what it's doing to the game as a spectacle.  It's too refined in the decisions.  Football isn't a perfect art.  It's the human errors in it that make it so fascinating, to me anyway.  I think referees need help and I think technology can certainly be used to do so, retrospectively after game in instances of diving etc.  But during the game, I think I'd be much happier if VAR wasn't a feature at all.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
Les Brechin
October 27, 2022, 12:00pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,724
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ska face
This was always going to be the case and plenty of normal people had pointed out that introducing VAR was a “Pandora’s box” type situation, but the talking heads, pundits, managers, journos etc just wouldn’t let it be. The whole thing’s fúcked now and I wouldn’t swap our place for one in the Prem with VAR for any money.

It was best summed up by someone on MOTD the other week, might’ve been the City/Liverpool match where there was a contentious VAR decision that could’ve gone either way. The pundit said “some go for you, some go against you, they tend to balance themselves out over the course of a season”….err, yeah, that’s what happened since football was invented and everyone just accepted it. Now you’ve got the same outcome, but you can’t celebrate a goal in case it’s pulled back for someone farting the wrong way 50-yards up the pitch, and the game is held up for 10 mins while the ref does a performative stare at a TV monitor.

Said it before, if we had VAR in the playoffs we would’ve never had that joy we felt after the two goals at County or McAtee at Wrexham, which would’ve probably been all pulled up.

The thing is, if we had VAR then that Wrexham game would have been totally different. Maybe Wrexham's early award of a penalty would have been overturned but if not Mullin's goal would definitely have been disallowed for handball and the game would have played out completely different.

Keep VAR in the Prem, we don't bloody want it down here.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
ska face
October 27, 2022, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Regardless of how the game played out, it’s the fact that you wouldn’t have been able to celebrate naturally, with the expectation that it’ll be checked for the next two minutes. That feeling is gone in the Prem and will never come back.

It’s nothing more than they deserve, mind.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
psgmariner
October 27, 2022, 12:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
The thing that instantly tells the ref whether the ball has crossed the line is fantastic. Bin the rest.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
aldi_01
October 27, 2022, 12:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Ironically, VAR was intended to eradicate the controversy but instead its just another process which causes it.

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe it was Kane that was ‘flagged’ offside and more Emerson Royal, but the lines they male masturbation off over do nothing given that it doesn’t show when the ball was kicked, which when they initially showed you it, Emerson Royal didn’t look offside.

The talking heads and alleged experts were clamouring for it and yet they’re the ones seething with it, couldn’t fucjing make it up.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
Hagrid
October 27, 2022, 12:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,485
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from aldi_01
Ironically, VAR was intended to eradicate the controversy but instead its just another process which causes it.

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe it was Kane that was ‘flagged’ offside and more Emerson Royal, but the lines they male masturbation off over do nothing given that it doesn’t show when the ball was kicked, which when they initially showed you it, Emerson Royal didn’t look offside.

The talking heads and alleged experts were clamouring for it and yet they’re the ones seething with it, couldn’t fucjing make it up.

it was 100% kane
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
mariner91
October 27, 2022, 12:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
It was always a crap idea. Personally, the reason I much prefer football over other sports is how quick it is which allows excitement/anger/sadness to naturally build very quickly which adds to the drama of the spectacle. Rugby, for example, with all of it's stoppages and time wasted is beyond boring to me. Taking away the spontaneity of goal celebrations removes a huge part of the appeal of football and regardless of whether or not a few decisions were now called correctly (they're not, they're still massively subjective a lot of the time) it's just not worth it for dampening down the emotions that make football so exhilarating at times.

Many of us said this before it was introduced but it should be binned before it's too late. It has been a complete failure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
MuddyWaters
October 27, 2022, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
They got it wrong before VAR, they get it wrong with VAR and it’s taken away from the emotive reactions of the game. Therefore bin VAR for anything other than goal line decisions. QED.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 27, 2022, 12:40pm
Brandy Drinker
The fact is VAR spent 4 minutes looking for a reason why the goal should be disallowed and we are talking about such fine margins that in the context of a match are actually meaningless. Does the fact that Kane’s kneecap is in an offside position really give him an advantage? Within a nano second he is probably in an onside position and the action is rarely frozen at the exact moment the ball is actually played. IMO an advantageous position is when there is daylight between the attacking player and the final defender at the time the ball is played.

How did we feel when our left back, sorry his name escapes me, was sent off at Palace due to VAR?

As an earlier poster said we still have the swings and roundabouts argument but have lost spontaneity for fans as a result and whilst this currently only affects Premiership matches we may all be suffering soon in the World Cup unless Kane can twist his knee caps round!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
MuddyWaters
October 27, 2022, 12:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
The fact is VAR spent 4 minutes looking for a reason why the goal should be disallowed and we are talking about such fine margins that in the context of a match are actually meaningless. Does the fact that Kane’s kneecap is in an offside position really give him an advantage? Within a nano second he is probably in an onside position and the action is rarely frozen at the exact moment the ball is actually played. IMO an advantageous position is when there is daylight between the attacking player and the final defender at the time the ball is played.

How did we feel when our left back, sorry his name escapes me, was sent off at Palace due to VAR?

As an earlier poster said we still have the swings and roundabouts argument but have lost spontaneity for fans as a result and whilst this currently only affects Premiership matches we may all be suffering soon in the World Cup unless Kane can twist his knee caps round!!

Andrew Fox.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
scrumble
October 27, 2022, 12:50pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
They've basically spent a fortune to change the old "How the hell did the ref miss that?" comments at work on Monday morning to "How the hell did VAR give that?"

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
Gaffer58
October 27, 2022, 1:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
To me football is all abou5 scoring goals, the team which scores more wins, but VAR seems to be there to disallow goals, even if the system is correct, honestly apart from say last Saturday’s 0-0 against Bradford do we want lots of 0-0 score lines?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
DB
October 27, 2022, 1:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
I'm all for goal line technology and that's where it ends for me. There is a referee and 2 linesmen ( asst refs, call them what you like) and if they don't see an offside because a player's fingernails were in an offside position then it ok with me.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
aldi_01
October 27, 2022, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I’m sure there’s plenty that will trot out the line ‘but they were right’ but in reality, nobody, not a single person in that stadium expected the goal to be disallowed and had Sporting lost it would’ve been through shite defending, not a marginal at best offside, even their managers body language told you as much.

I’d argue it was wrong and regardless of whether they’re saying it was Kane, the lines they showed initially weren’t including him.

They’ve introduced something which is slowly taking over and ruining something that wasn’t perfect but worked…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
October 27, 2022, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
They don't seem to be as bothered about allowing goals that the ref has mistakenly chalked off. You may as well scrutinise every single goal scored in the Premier league including all the build up and let fans celebrate only when they've spent 5 minutes to decide.

If the freeze frame is a tiny fraction earlier or later then things are different so how is it remotely fair to have someone deciding when to freeze the frame or draw the lines?
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Poojah
October 27, 2022, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
I was at the match and talk about destroying the joy of football!, it’s ruining the game as a spectacle and should be scrapped. Can you imagine how we would have felt if Waterfall’s goal at Wrexham had been struck off because of Smithy’s actions or Dissy’s goal at County for hand ball?

Bloody hate the system

Makes you wonder what would have become of that Wrexham game had VAR been in action.

I think it’s highly likely that Mullin wouldn’t have got his early penalty, but they would have had one for Crocombe’s assault later in the half. Mullin’s handball gets disallowed for sure, but then it’s definitely a foul on Tozer from Smith for our winner.

The game would have certainly taken a very different path, to whose favour I’m not sure, but it would have ruined what was a brilliant spectacle as a football match.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 27, 2022, 2:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Makes you wonder what would have become of that Wrexham game had VAR been in action.

I think it’s highly likely that Mullin wouldn’t have got his early penalty, but they would have had one for Crocombe’s assault later in the half. Mullin’s handball gets disallowed for sure, but then it’s definitely a foul on Tozer from Smith for our winner.

The game would have certainly taken a very different path, to whose favour I’m not sure, but it would have ruined what was a brilliant spectacle as a football match.

I also think they may have had a penalty for Pearson’s tackle late in the game and as Les said in an earlier post VAR would have made it a very different, and much less enjoyable, game but hopefully outcome would have been the same. Thankfully we’ll never know or care!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
Les Brechin
October 27, 2022, 2:34pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,724
Gold Stars: 174

I also think they may have had a penalty for Pearson’s tackle late in the game and as Les said in an earlier post VAR would have made it a very different, and much less enjoyable, game but hopefully outcome would have been the same. Thankfully we’ll never know or care!!

There were that many contentious decisions in the game it makes you wonder. Their penalty, Crocombe's assault on their player, Mullins handball, Pearson's "penalty" and Waterfall's winning goal just to name a few off the top of my head.

If VAR had been in use it would have been a far more sterile and less "enjoyable" game than it was.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
jimgtfc
October 27, 2022, 2:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,102
Gold Stars: 45
Officials got it spot on, by the laws of the game, you’ve got to give them credit for that. At the time I thought it should be allowed, it’s only after and watching clips explaining it that I now understand it.

What seems to escape those at the top however, is that football was created as a form of entertainment, not business. Was that in the context of entertainment last night? Not a chance.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
aldi_01
October 27, 2022, 2:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

There were that many contentious decisions in the game it makes you wonder. Their penalty, Crocombe's assault on their player, Mullins handball, Pearson's "penalty" and Waterfall's winning goal just to name a few off the top of my head.

If VAR had been in use it would have been a far more sterile and less "enjoyable" game than it was.

And let’s be honest, aside from parkinson looking fur excuses did his sides inability to stop us, nobody really argued with the outcome…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
buckstown
October 27, 2022, 3:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 79
I believe VAR was conceived after the injustice of the Thierry Henry handball robbed Ireland of a world cup place, ie to correct clear and obvious errors.
Seems to me they should give the VAR guy 20 seconds to review an incident like last night. If it's not clear and obvious in 20 seconds the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt. That way the review is over before the celebrations have finished.
I was there last night, and the wait was awful for both sets of fans. I also felt sorry for the referee because both sets of players were harassing him and of course it's out of his hands at that stage
Shambles
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Poojah
October 27, 2022, 3:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from buckstown
I believe VAR was conceived after the injustice of the Thierry Henry handball robbed Ireland of a world cup place, ie to correct clear and obvious errors.
Seems to me they should give the VAR guy 20 seconds to review an incident like last night. If it's not clear and obvious in 20 seconds the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt. That way the review is over before the celebrations have finished.
I was there last night, and the wait was awful for both sets of fans. I also felt sorry for the referee because both sets of players were harassing him and of course it's out of his hands at that stage
Shambles

Agreed, I’ve often thought this. VAR should be to the correct occasional howlers referees make or things that are difficult to spot in real time but obvious from a replay.

Ergo Puddy at Wembley was an obvious mistake - there is no degree of interpretation to those rules. Likewise Mullin’s handball - understandable the ref missed it in real time (as I did), but easy to identify from a replay at the right angle.

Teams should encounter VAR no more than a handful of times per season, not per game. Mistakes happen, but we shouldn’t be re-referreeing every decision.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
oochiad
October 27, 2022, 3:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,724
Gold Stars: 28
I thought it was offside as I watched it so wasn’t surprised at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
lukeo
October 27, 2022, 4:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from promotion plaice

Harry Kane's goal last night was ruled offside despite "ball went backwards" claim.

I wonder how long it'll be until someone is pulled up for offside for their member being in an offside position..
"Well, its tight.. But as you can clearly see. The players bulge is the red line and is slightly ahead of the defenders head on the blue line"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
DB
October 27, 2022, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,056
Gold Stars: 391
Hmmm. had a thought

Very
Abysmal
Refereeing

then perhaps not if you can think of others!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
October 27, 2022, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Agreed, I’ve often thought this. VAR should be to the correct occasional howlers referees make or things that are difficult to spot in real time but obvious from a replay.

Ergo Puddy at Wembley was an obvious mistake - there is no degree of interpretation to those rules. Likewise Mullin’s handball - understandable the ref missed it in real time (as I did), but easy to identify from a replay at the right angle.

Teams should encounter VAR no more than a handful of times per season, not per game. Mistakes happen, but we shouldn’t be re-referreeing every decision.

There is controversy every week - more than when the refs were in sole charge because they were allowed the obvious human error margin for offside etc.

The question now is what we do about it. Although it doesn't affect the Mariners the very fabric of our game is at stake. The authorities keep fine tuning it but just get dragged deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole.

I hope there is a concerted campaign by the clubs to have the effect of VAR to be hugely curtailed next season or preferably scrapped.  It was a well meaning experiment that has had unforseen consequences one of which is turning fans off big style.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
moosey_club
October 27, 2022, 5:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,305
Gold Stars: 227
I love it.....the top leagues begged for it as they thought the refereeing was too poor, the game was too quick for the officials,  too many human errors etc.
Now they have their cake they can fking choke on it for my money.
Many more like last night and a few biggies in the world cup it will soon be getting called to be axed.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
Lost in Lincoln
October 28, 2022, 9:02am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +388
Gold Stars: 7

Whilst 'by the letter of the law', it was offside - if it's taking 3 minutes to come to a decision, then it's surely too close to call and the goal should stand?  

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 40
ska face
October 28, 2022, 10:48am

Vodka Drinker
Offside is offside, whether it takes 10seconds or 10 minutes. That’s what the teams have wanted, so that’s what they’ve got!
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
Abdul19
October 28, 2022, 11:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219

Now you think it's shit?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
MarinerMal
October 28, 2022, 12:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
I don't remember Spurs fans whining about VAR taking the joy out of football when Sterling had his goal (for Man City against them in the CL Semi-Final) ruled out by VAR in 2019.

[youtube]r6TBTo6lT-o[/youtube]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
supertown
October 28, 2022, 2:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
I hate VAR, or rather the way it is used . If it was used to irradiate the ‘hand of God’ incidents then great, but it’s not it’s used for inches in offside decisions . Wrecking the spectacle of the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
moosey_club
October 29, 2022, 10:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,305
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from supertown
I hate VAR, or rather the way it is used . If it was used to irradiate the ‘hand of God’ incidents then great, but it’s not it’s used for inches in offside decisions . Wrecking the spectacle of the game

It's "wrecking" the spectacle of the game in a very small proportion of the game albeit a highly publicised/marketed proportion , let's face it, we as a club and as supporters will virtually never be subject to it, cup games aside we won't be playing at a level anytime soon where it will be used.
It can go on creating controversy in the top flights for as long as we aren't there as far as I am concerned, its amusing watching the reaction, the let down the opposite reaction for the fans of the side that benefit...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › VAR again

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.