Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 128 Guests

Just Back...on the bus.

This thread currently has 10,296 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2022, 9:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Hagrid

I agree with this, i dont think he’s done anything to be worthy of a spot in the starting 11 thus far

Possibly because he’s not been in it often enough to judge him?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 88
thefish
October 30, 2022, 9:19am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,255
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from aldi_01
If people think the side is missing spirit then I’d question if they’re watching GTFC.

Our spirit makes up for our deficiencies elsewhere.

The obsession with this so called 20 goal a season player is something that’s becoming tiresome. Aside from Amond, Hearn me Connell to some extent, in my life time the 20 goal a season player has almost not existed.

Even at the top, forgetting Haaland, goals are often spread across the team, one key player isn’t always the key anymore,

And besides, we’re looking for the one thing everyone is looking for…

Was letting Manny go a bad idea? May be so but I’d argue the vast majority of town fans didn’t think much of him until his playoff heroics…

We’ve found our man- slip your boots on Aldi!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 88
lukeo
October 30, 2022, 9:23am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Didn't want to come on last night and probably a good job really..

First 25 minutes I thought we was going to cruise to a 3 or 4-0 win. We hadn't got out of gear 2 but we pushed them so far back they couldn't handle our right side. After that it was just 2 poor teams and they took control of what was a dreadful game and came through with 3 points. Crowcombe the only player for me who deserves any credit. I do like a 3 at the back but in doing that you need 2 upfront. It looked like we was playing 5311 which is rediculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 88
MuddyWaters
October 30, 2022, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Most of this I disagree with, especially the point about team spirit, that’s bollox.

Mani would have been an alternative to Taylor but not kept ahead of Taylor, in that role in reality from what we saw wasn’t as good at it. He did score a couple of important play off goals though that can’t be denied and he’s getting a few at tin pot level too.

The point about Essel is just clutching at straws, we’ve got enough young strikers to blood, that’s half the problem so adding another won’t achieve anything different I reckon.

The point about Essel is he’s ours, not someone else’s cast off. Pepple is a complete waste of a loan.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 88
Croxton
October 30, 2022, 9:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The point about Essel is he’s ours, not someone else’s cast off. Pepple is a complete waste of a loan.

He's the dunnage in the McAtee deal. Get's on the bus to keep Luton on side till next May. We don't need a 20 goal striker per se, just someone who has game intelligence, moves defenders around and can cover ground quicker than Taylor. We can stay comfortably midtable if we continue to get midfielders in the box and support the man with the ball. Trying to replicate either Taylor or McAtee or both is impossible.

Stockport are steadying the ship because they have a stock of experienced players to shuffle. We have too many who lack that experience or the fitness to stay the course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 88
rancido
October 30, 2022, 9:41am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yes but unless I’m missing something you’re not a professional footballer are you?

Nobody on this board knows the effort PH did or didn’t put in to get a decent striker. Everyone on this board recognised how hard working he is so we’d have to assume he did his best?

The owners have backed him on loads of stuff both in terms of squad numbers, support staff improved facilities etc.., so you would assume he would have had funds to a reasonable level especially as JS said all season ticket revenues go to the playing budget.

Why can’t people accept that bigger clubs near big cities who have been in the football league longer than us or a couple who haven’t but have very wealthy or stupid owners pay better wages.

Also maybe players didn’t want to come to a place like Grimsby after they’d just been promoted and nobody had a clue how the side was going to get on.

We just have to accept that we are tte only people who believe in the “Mighty Mariners” away from us most people think we’re Grimsby and “the place stinks of fish”.

Plus mud sticks, ask Martin Gritton and numerous other players what working for GTFC has been like in recent years, he’ll talk you through his experience with the then owners when he signed for the club.

At last, a post with a grip on reality. I wasn't at the match or had access to any other means of following the game so can't comment on individual performances. However by reading the earlier comments on this thread a recurrent theme is that several players had below par performances and didn't play to their abilities. Ok maybe Hurst, in some people's opinion, got his tactics and subs wrong - fair comment. That doesn't explain why players on the field misplace passes, make wrong decisions, don't mark their player correctly or give away needless fouls. Their is no easy answer to a sub- par performance as any one involved in football will tell you. As a comparison, how are we placed at the moment in this league as opposed to the same time last year in a league lower? We had a bad patch and several posters wanted Hurst out but he pulled things around and we achieved the almost impossible. Of course we have to push for another promotion but if we ended up in this league placing at the end of the season would that be a disaster? The owners and PH have a long term plan which, with a bit of patience from the fans will bear fruit.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 88
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2022, 9:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That’s a fair point, not sure you can judge players when they play bit parts in games.

The only thing I can say is that I think there is now science and stats go into bringing players in and you’d assume that as the current loans have come from bigger clubs with more advanced academies etc..,Hurst thinks they’re better than youngsters such as Essel, he’s better qualified than anyone on here to make that decision as he does it for a living.

In terms of Essel, Hurst seems to rate him and it looks like he’s keen to develop him as one for the future whether that’s as a player or sell on. Developing him at a level where he’ll get some challenge, starts and minutes rather than being thrown on when we’re chasing a game looks like the manager feels is better for the player. Like I say Hurst knows best on this one I’m afraid and we’ll just have to accept it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 88
MuddyWaters
October 30, 2022, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

That’s a fair point, not sure you can judge players when they play bit parts in games.

The only thing I can say is that I think there is now science and stats go into bringing players in and you’d assume that as the current loans have come from bigger clubs with more advanced academies etc..,Hurst thinks they’re better than youngsters such as Essel, he’s better qualified than anyone on here to make that decision as he does it for a living.

In terms of Essel, Hurst seems to rate him and it looks like he’s keen to develop him as one for the future whether that’s as a player or sell on. Developing him at a level where he’ll get some challenge, starts and minutes rather than being thrown on when we’re chasing a game looks like the manager feels is better for the player. Like I say Hurst knows best on this one I’m afraid and we’ll just have to accept it.

As previously described, Pepple is the 'dunnage' in the McAtee deal. Luton know he's not ready and it's a pity we couldn't have bartered for Mendes Gomes or even Pereira. Just seems a shame that we are effectively wasting loans on other people's cast offs.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 88
Hagrid
October 30, 2022, 11:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,488
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from MuddyWaters

As previously described, Pepple is the 'dunnage' in the McAtee deal. Luton know he's not ready and it's a pity we couldn't have bartered for Mendes Gomes or even Pereira. Just seems a shame that we are effectively wasting loans on other people's cast offs.

Well is what it is unfortunately.  They allowed us John back the season so ultimately it was the right deal for the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 88
HertsGTFC
October 30, 2022, 11:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That’s what all loans are in reality aren’t they?

“Dunnage” so out of a standard Fishy Sunday meltdown I’ve leant a new word, out of every “crisis” there is always a bright spot 👍

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back...on the bus.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.