This thread currently has 1,960 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
October 31, 2022, 3:31pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
In recent years November and December have been our worst months.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13sd26DhfkXlBf1mnBp9Mdm7d8WjQs1eJXw3Z2oU7ogM/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully just coincidence  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Grantham_Mariner
October 31, 2022, 9:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Can't remember us ever winning in June.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
NorthseaMariner
October 31, 2022, 9:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
😂😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
HerveJosse
October 31, 2022, 9:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Forgotten the play off final already ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
RonMariner
October 31, 2022, 11:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

And I though my memory was bad!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
DB
November 1, 2022, 5:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from GrimRob
In recent years November and December have been our worst months.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13sd26DhfkXlBf1mnBp9Mdm7d8WjQs1eJXw3Z2oU7ogM/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully just coincidence  

That's 7 league games

Doncaster  (H)
Stevenage  (H)
Wombles  (A)
Tranmere (H)
Mansfield  (A)
Harrogate (A)
Salford  (H)

21 points to play for and given our dip in form do not all look winnable. However, we should have McAtee back for most of those games so things might not look that bad. Somewhere between 11 and 17 points should be achievable, but history from Rob's link suggests as low as 4 or 5 points.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2022, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
It's funny how we know in our hearts that what happened in previous seasons has no bearing whatsoever on forthcoming games yet we all look at the fixtures in that way, whether it be the time of year or whether upcoming opponents are lucky or unlucky for us.

There is part of me hoping we don't have a meltdown like last season around this time but there is no credible reason there should be - is there?!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
ginnywings
November 1, 2022, 9:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I think November and December are the months when most teams start to hit their straps and the teams with the better squads start to string together better performances and results. It will be interesting to see where we sit in that regard, but I suspect at the moment we are a mid-table side with a mid-table squad, and we will need to strengthen in the next window to progress further.

I'm not unhappy with the way things have gone so far and we definitely can compete at this level, but we need more goals in the side obviously. Whether that can be addressed with the players we have remains to be seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
diehardmariner
November 1, 2022, 9:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
I'll be happy if we can stay in touch with the play-offs going into the New Year.

5 of those teams are above us, one just below and the other out of the relegation zone on goal difference.  

In the New Year we should have McAtee back, I would have said Scannell but Hurst's weekend interview regards him suggests we shouldn't get too excited about that one just yet.  But also hopefully a bit of strengthening in the window.  Defensively and in midfield I think we're sound.  So I'd hope it's a case of all eggs in one basket and bringing in that elusive No 9.  

The combination of a new striker and McAtee returning could quite easily make us a considerable force, as long as we're giving ourselves a fighting chance.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Poojah
November 1, 2022, 9:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,767
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from ginnywings
I think November and December are the months when most teams start to hit their straps and the teams with the better squads start to string together better performances and results. It will be interesting to see where we sit in that regard, but I suspect at the moment we are a mid-table side with a mid-table squad, and we will need to strengthen in the next window to progress further.

I'm not unhappy with the way things have gone so far and we definitely can compete at this level, but we need more goals in the side obviously. Whether that can be addressed with the players we have remains to be seen.

In terms of strength in depth, I'd say we're top third in central defence and centre mid, bottom third up top and middle-third everywhere else. The positive for me is, as of this moment, it seems fairly obvious where the problems lie which at least gives you a slight head start in solving the problem.

This time last year things appeared to be going wrong all over the shop with no common theme as to why. Makes it all the more remarkable that Hurst solved everything in the way he did, really.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › November and December

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.