3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
lukeo
November 8, 2022, 7:30am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
I know a few people do this regularly so I just wondered what sites you guys use?
I've had a bit of a scare so long story short I'll be trying to get to more town games on the train now my regular footballing is potentially over or atleast for the foreseeable future.

I found a couple but just wanted some feedback from others who use trains, I managed to find the split fare website and found a train for £60 return to Wimbledon from Taunton. I only paid £40 for the play off final to London so prices have either rising at a big rate or I'm looking on the wrong sites.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
November 8, 2022, 7:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Whichever site you use, trains are becoming a bit of a non-starter. Had a look for a potential trip to Cambridge in a few weeks, it’s the thick end of £100 already and the return trip is the best part of 4 hours on a good run. That’s for a trip I could probably do in just over 2 hours in a car.

In Germany you can get unlimited rail travel anywhere across the entire country, for a whole month, for €9 or about £7. This country is so fcking backwards it does my nut.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
DB
November 8, 2022, 8:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from ska face
Whichever site you use, trains are becoming a bit of a non-starter. Had a look for a potential trip to Cambridge in a few weeks, it’s the thick end of £100 already and the return trip is the best part of 4 hours on a good run. That’s for a trip I could probably do in just over 2 hours in a car.

In Germany you can get unlimited rail travel anywhere across the entire country, for a whole month, for €9 or about £7. This country is so fcking backwards it does my nut.

Absolutely agree with you.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
MaccasBoots
November 8, 2022, 8:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 23
I use the Trainline - can’t say for certain that it’s the best value, but it’s very convenient for multiple leg journeys and has a simple layout
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
golfer
November 8, 2022, 8:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
The earlier you book the cheaper you get Lukeo, so this is probably why the fare has looked as though it has gone up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Grantham_Mariner
November 8, 2022, 8:59am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
'Split my fare' is your best option if your journey involves more than one train operator. ie. Grimsby to London.
https://www.splitmyfare.co.uk/

But if you are going Grimsby to Manchester then the cheapest fares are always on the single operators web site, TransPennine in this case.

As said before the earlier you book the cheaper it should be. Also a ticket for a specific timed train is usually cheaper than a ticket valid on any train.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
diehardmariner
November 8, 2022, 9:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from ska face

Same across pretty much the whole of Europe, even the supposed poorer countries.

Just before the pandemic I was planning some inter-railing around Central Europe for a few weeks, the cost of travelling was unbelievably cheap.  Taking in six or seven cities over pretty much the whole length of a continent was going to cost me much less than a return to Kings Cross from Doncaster (never mind from Cleethorpes).

If this country was remotely serious about climate change, which it isn't, the first port of call should absolutely be a modern, effective, accessible and affordable rail system.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Poojah
November 8, 2022, 9:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from diehardmariner

Same across pretty much the whole of Europe, even the supposed poorer countries.

Just before the pandemic I was planning some inter-railing around Central Europe for a few weeks, the cost of travelling was unbelievably cheap.  Taking in six or seven cities over pretty much the whole length of a continent was going to cost me much less than a return to Kings Cross from Doncaster (never mind from Cleethorpes).

If this country was remotely serious about climate change, which it isn't, the first port of call should absolutely be a modern, effective, accessible and affordable rail system.

Just one of many reasons the UK finds itself behind the likes of Estonia, Oman and Lithuania (ffs!) on the global quality of life index.

In my daily work I get to speak to people from around the world and in particular Europe, and I often ask the question “so, is everything going to shít in your country as well then?”.

“Nope, it’s just you guys” is typically the answer you get back. Of course, there have been some serious events with global implications already this short decade, namely Covid and the war in Ukraine. But boy oh boy, we haven’t half made a mess of it.

The state and cost of rail prices is one thing, but when people can’t afford food or to pay their rent / mortgage then things are really bleak.

Apologies, I’ve gone off on a real tangent there - I’m just upset and angry at the state of our once great nation. My kids are 8 and 6, and it both frightens and saddens me to think what the world they are growing into has in store for them.

And that’s before we get to the spectre of nuclear war, climate change and antibiotic resistance.

Anyway, carry on…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
barralad
November 8, 2022, 10:03am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
I use split ticketing but I also have a senior rail card so it would be a no-brainer if as Ska said the rail system was anything like decent. Last season I did Torquay from the East Midlands for less than £50. Weymouth was £36 and that was via London.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
GYinScuntland
November 8, 2022, 10:08am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
My first go to for cheaper tickets is Trainline.
Some may moan about the  modest booking fee but from the app you can book tickets with seat reservations, add the journey to your calendar, print off tickets with journey information on them and I've found that countless times there are tickets available on there that aren't showing on the individual companies sites plus any split saves and cheap 1st class are automatically shown.
My pissy pensioner railcard is automatically linked to it and if (or rather when) there are any delays or cancellations you are notified via app and email well in advance.
On the subject of cancellation and delays I've found them great as a refund for cancellation is at the press of a button if required but if claiming delay repay you have to do it via the train company itself.
I don't know if it's a glitch but when claiming on most company websites you have to put in your Trainline transaction ID number and bingo, refund for the whole amount, outward and return.
Sometimes up can be a right pain, they'll refuse a refund at first and you appeal meaning time spent in front of your computer but I added up refunds for the the last two years and it's over £600 in rail vouchers and money back in the bank.
I've had in effect free trips to places like Southend, Rochdale, London and to Manchester more times than I care to remember as the service is now so poor.
I'm lucky in as much as it's a 25 minute drive from mine to where I can park up in Doncaster so if going North or South on the East Coast Mainline I'll always look at buying tickets from there which saves an incredible amount, a London return for something like £18 isn't something to be sniffed at.
Yes, I don't mind the ten bob booking fee when I save hundreds over the year and find it extremely useful.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 8, 2022, 11:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,311
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Poojah

Just one of many reasons the UK finds itself behind the likes of Estonia, Oman and Lithuania (ffs!) on the global quality of life index.

In my daily work I get to speak to people from around the world and in particular Europe, and I often ask the question “so, is everything going to shít in your country as well then?”.

“Nope, it’s just you guys” is typically the answer you get back. Of course, there have been some serious events with global implications already this short decade, namely Covid and the war in Ukraine. But boy oh boy, we haven’t half made a mess of it.

The state and cost of rail prices is one thing, but when people can’t afford food or to pay their rent / mortgage then things are really bleak.

Apologies, I’ve gone off on a real tangent there - I’m just upset and angry at the state of our once great nation. My kids are 8 and 6, and it both frightens and saddens me to think what the world they are growing into has in store for them.

And that’s before we get to the spectre of nuclear war, climate change and antibiotic resistance.

Anyway, carry on…

I'm not sure that Oman is a country to get too worked up about - it's a very rich country with very low prices for things like petrol and low taxation. The standard of living for Omanis and ex pats is very high. Think UAE with the glitz dialed down.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Les Brechin
November 8, 2022, 11:27am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
I usual book direct with either TPE or LNER and get an e-ticket sent to my phone which avoids postal fees and is a lot more convenient.

I never use Trainline because of the extra fees they charge.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 8, 2022, 11:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Always been a bit of Sh1t one this. The trains are expensive, they are usually packed on most journeys and the quality of service is appalling. But, when it’s run as a business what do you expect as people have little or no choice. If you don’t like it…..do one!

Go abroad, and the trains are comfortable and more importantly double decked (unfortunately the infrastructure in this country doesn’t allow). The stations are even more welcoming and have decent facilities.

There are other choices such as megabus I guess but, not always that good and nowhere near as convenient as a train

Good luck luke

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
HerveJosse
November 8, 2022, 12:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
We are paying the price for inventing and building everything first in Victorian era. Much easier to build modern system from scratch in now developed/ developing world. Having benefited from our invention they now want us to pay them compensation . Rant over Trainline I have used for years does split tickets as well now and never had a problem with it.. Get a Railcard if your eligible numerous categories and one third off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Les Brechin
November 8, 2022, 12:24pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from HerveJosse
We are paying the price for inventing and building everything first in Victorian era. Much easier to build modern system from scratch in now developed/ developing world. Having benefited from our invention they now want us to pay them compensation . Rant over Trainline I have used for years does split tickets as well now and never had a problem with it.. Get a Railcard if your eligible numerous categories and one third off

I have a Disabled Person's Railcard. Has saved me an absolute fortune over the years.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
ska face
November 8, 2022, 12:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Quoted from HerveJosse

We are paying the price for having a political system centred entirely on privatisation and the extraction of wealth. Shareholders have extracted billions from the rail system in this country, much of it directly out of the pockets of taxpayers in the form of subsidies. It’s an absolute racket and a fcking disgrace. Train operators in France, Germany and elsewhere in Europe hold shares in British transport companies and subsidise THEIR fares with OUR money.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
Son of Cod
November 8, 2022, 2:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face

It's ridiculous. I went back through my bank statements from last season, I spent over £650 on trains alone following Town last season. Average price for a train to a home match being over £40. Most expensive train tickets were Torquay at £95 and Weymouth at £75. Yeah, I'm booking tickets late but it's obscene that the premium is so high to do this. I don't know what I'm doing next week let alone for the entire season. My social/work life generally dictates what Town matches I get to, not the other way round. The only way you can snap those few cheap train tickets up is to commit to a match months in advance.

Quoted from golfer
The earlier you book the cheaper you get Lukeo, so this is probably why the fare has looked as though it has gone up

Some of the train lines haven't been releasing advanced tickets during the strikes. Avanti in particular, tickets just weren't available from London for the Stockport or Barrow games until about a week before. I was up for Barrow but by the time tickets were available online it was £136 for a return!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
ginnywings
November 8, 2022, 5:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
As others have said, get yourself a rail card if you are eligible. They are £30 for a year and save you a third of the fare.

There was an offer recently for digital rail cards for £20 a year. Would be worth checking if they are still available if you are thinking of getting one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
AndyDarloFC
November 9, 2022, 8:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
I refuse to use Trainline, they always add services to the schedule that haven't been confirmed with the operators. Also an absolute nightmare to get hold of for refunds etc.

I always stick the operator I'm travelling with.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 22
lukeo
November 9, 2022, 8:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
With the rail card can you only use it via the train line app or can you use it even if you use websites such as split fare. Com
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
Grantham_Mariner
November 9, 2022, 8:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,204
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from lukeo
With the rail card can you only use it via the train line app or can you use it even if you use websites such as split fare. Com

Any train ticket from any operator wherever you buy it.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
November 9, 2022, 10:15am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
As others have said, get yourself a rail card if you are eligible. They are £30 for a year and save you a third of the fare.

There was an offer recently for digital rail cards for £20 a year. Would be worth checking if they are still available if you are thinking of getting one.

£70 for three years if digital. I got mine in May. For London games you can get it linked to an Oyster card and get a third off non-peak travel across London, including the tube.

I'm quite well placed in Donny. I have a disabled pass for South Yorkshire so travel to Sheffield for free. That is well handy for trips to the Midlands and London.

I've done a lot of travelling from Donny to London. With a railcard its usually £20 return.

I'm using a NatEx discount card too. Off to Wimbledon from Meadowhall and its £12.60 return travelling down on the Friday. If you decide to get off at Golder's Green its only an hour or so more than the rail journey from Sheffield to St Pancras.  
Reply: 21 - 22
Davec
November 9, 2022, 10:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
I always use Trainsplit for my tickets, you can make some great savings, especially if getting advance fares.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trains to away games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.