6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 10, 2022, 1:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Looking likely that James Maddison, Kyle walker and Callum Wilson set to be included in the squad according to sky sports news. Also Marcus rashford in and Ivan Toney likely to miss out

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Maringer
November 10, 2022, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
I like Walker. The best full-back we have defensively, even if he's not the silkiest of players in comparison to some of the other defenders. His pace also helps a lot if he's playing as part of a back three. A lot depends on whether or not he is fit, of course.

You'd have to assume Trippier will be a possibility as the first choice right back/right wing-back given how well he's been doing for Newcastle? Especially as his set piece delivery is very good. I like Shaw on the left. Not the most energetic of players who bombs up and down the line all the time, but he's generally very effective on the occasions when he does get forward and is decent enough defensively, if he's fit.

Is Wilson a better option than Rashford or Toney? Not so sure, really. Regardless, I think we're stuffed if Kane is injured or out of sorts so let's hope he can stay fit and is in form. Rashford has been in much better form than we've seen for a year or two, but he's still most effective in the open games you're not too likely to see many of at a World Cup. Neither Toney or Wilson has much international experience which could be a big issue. A bit thin up front, that's for sure, especially as Sterling is not the player he was last summer.

The lack of experience for Maddison is something else which might prove to be an issue but we've certainly got a lot of talented attacking midfield players who are decent enough. It's the balance of things that concerns me. Mount is one of those players who can have effective spells but often completely disappears when he's wearing an England shirt. If we're hoping to score from set pieces, Grealish is always worth a punt, but he's not really progressed past the stage of beating a man then winning a free-kick. He tends to win the fouls he's looking for but a bit of a one-trick pony.

I assume we've got some friendlies coming up before the tournament but I've not even thought about it, truth be told.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
Manchester Mariner
November 10, 2022, 2:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Knocked out on penalties.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
OddShapedBalls
November 10, 2022, 2:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Maguire.  And a couple of man city players who haven't been out the physio room all season.  Business as usual then, 10 man defence cruises to a semi final then get's knocked out against the first team that can attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
buckstown
November 10, 2022, 2:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,239
Gold Stars: 80
No Harry Clifton in the Wales squad, what a shocking decision
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
Brazilnut
November 10, 2022, 3:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
Isn't there some sort of enquiry into Toney and betting ???? That probably stopped his call up

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
promotion plaice
November 10, 2022, 3:41pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 201

Full England squad for Qatar World Cup....

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford ( Everton ), Nick Pope (Newcastle), Aaron Ramsdale ( Arsenal )

Defenders: Harry Maguire (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Kyle Walker (Man City), Luke Shaw (Man Utd), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Trent Alexander-Arnold ( Liverpool ), Eric Dier ( Tottenham ), Conor Coady (Everton), Ben White (Arsenal)

Midfielders: Declan Rice ( West Ham ), Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount ( Chelsea ), Kalvin Phillips (Man City), James Maddison ( Leicester ), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea)

Attackers: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Phil Foden (Man City), Raheem Sterling (Chelsea), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Jack Grealish (Man City), Callum Wilson (Newcastle)

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 10, 2022, 3:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82

I assume we've got some friendlies coming up before the tournament but I've not even thought about it, truth be told.[/quote]

No time for friendlies, final Premiership games this weekend and England’s first game, v Iran, a week on Monday at 1.00pm. Hard to take in that the World Cup starts next weekend!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
Les Brechin
November 10, 2022, 3:49pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Dean Henderson's England career didn't last too long then!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 10, 2022, 3:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Les Brechin
Dean Henderson's England career didn't last too long then!

To be fair Les Pickford has been number one for quite a few years now, Ramsdale plays for the team top of the Premiership and Pope foe the side in third place with second best defensive record in the league. Forest are bottom so Deano will have to wait until 2026 to go which I’m sure he will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 50
OddShapedBalls
November 10, 2022, 3:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Brazilnut
Isn't there some sort of enquiry into Toney and betting ???? That probably stopped his call up

Alleged historical football betting, apparently. No suggestion of match fixing etc, just that pro footballers aren't allowed to bet on football full stop.  It's 'under investigation' by the FA so will probably take 10 years to complete
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
sonofmadeleymariner
November 10, 2022, 4:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
It was kind of Southgate to take some Make-a-wish selections to give other teams a chance this season  

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
Sir Matt Tease
November 10, 2022, 5:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

To be fair Les Pickford has been number one for quite a few years now, Ramsdale plays for the team top of the Premiership and Pope foe the side in third place with second best defensive record in the league. Forest are bottom so Deano will have to wait until 2026 to go which I’m sure he will.

He's not called Les Pickford....................It's Jordan !  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
gytone
November 10, 2022, 5:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

He's not called Les Pickford....................It's Jordan !  

Who is  Les Jordan ? 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
Rick12
November 10, 2022, 5:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

To be fair Les Pickford has been number one for quite a few years now, .
Big fan of Pickford .

I think whoever starts for England shouldn't be complacent. This was a criticism I read when Sven- Goran Eriksson was in charge. No matter how well some players done for club the likes of David Beckham and Michael Owen would always start. The same has happened at club level  baring a huge dip in form .  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 10, 2022, 6:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
It was kind of Southgate to take some Make-a-wish selections to give other teams a chance this season  

The most obscene comment I think I’ve seen on here for some time

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
pen penfras
November 10, 2022, 7:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Rick12
Big fan of Pickford .

I think whoever starts for England shouldn't be complacent. This was a criticism I read when Sven- Goran Eriksson was in charge. No matter how well some players done for club the likes of David Beckham and Michael Owen would always start. The same has happened at club level  baring a huge dip in form .  

David Beckham was absolutely brilliant for England and aside from a moment of madness against Argentina, he was always dependable. He was the most consistent and probably best player in that era. I also can't ever remember him being particularly poor at any point in his club career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Wiley2405
November 10, 2022, 7:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Biggest surprise for me getting in is Conor Gallagher
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 10, 2022, 7:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 556
Quoted from pen penfras

He was the most consistent and probably best player in that era.

Ashley Cole says hello.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
Rick12
November 10, 2022, 8:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

David Beckham was absolutely brilliant for England and aside from a moment of madness against Argentina, he was always dependable. He was the most consistent and probably best player in that era. I also can't ever remember him being particularly poor at any point in his club career.
To be fair to you I remember seeing him against England live at Wembley and thinking this guy is class. Looked a cut above anyone that night in that England team.  Little wonder Real Madrid bought him and he was considered a galactico alongside the original Ronaldo,Figo , Zidane, Raul and Roberto Carlos .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
Maringer
November 10, 2022, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I watched quite a lot of the Real games in the season or two after Beckham joined and he was generally one of their best players, being involved in a lot of their goals. The one thing I think he was really overrated for was his free-kicks. He was good, but not nearly as good as the very best. That said, I'm not sure we had anyone better to take them during his time in the England squad.

To be fair, Owen did pretty well in Madrid also, even though he was of course past his best even by that point. I was always pleased to see English players travel abroad to play because it provides extra depth to their play from learning a different style(you'd imagine Bellingham will eventually move to English football where he'll be a massive hit). Trippier also improved since his stint in Spain, I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
Rick12
November 10, 2022, 8:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I watched quite a lot of the Real games in the season or two after Beckham joined and he was generally one of their best players, being involved in a lot of their goals. The one thing I think he was really overrated for was his free-kicks. He was good, but not nearly as good as the very best. That said, I'm not sure we had anyone better to take them during his time in the England squad.

To be fair, Owen did pretty well in Madrid also, even though he was of course past his best even by that point. I was always pleased to see English players travel abroad to play because it provides extra depth to their play from learning a different style(you'd imagine Bellingham will eventually move to English football where he'll be a massive hit). Trippier also improved since his stint in Spain, I think.
If you get the chance go to Madrid soon. Their current stadium is nearly finished and the pictures from the final completion look stunning.

As for Michael Owen I was surprised he got released after only one year at Madrid as his goal ratio was good  .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
HertsGTFC
November 10, 2022, 8:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Personally I think we’ll struggle to get out the group.

We have the best squad in the group but recently looked devoid of confidence and lacking creativity.

Iran - Minor footballing nation but will run all day and the conditions will suit them more than us, potential starting draw.

USA - Will fancy it, a draw.

Wales - Could go either way but if we’re under pressure for a result it could be another Iceland.

USA - Beat Wales & Iran
Wales - Beat us and Iran

We go home. I hope I’m wrong.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
Rick12
November 10, 2022, 9:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We have the best squad in the group but recently looked devoid of confidence and lacking creativity.

Iran - Minor footballing nation but will run all day and the conditions will suit them more than us, potential starting draw
Iran surprised me at the last world cup. Gave Spain a really tough game .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Maringer
November 10, 2022, 10:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Not sure if the Iranian players will exactly be acclimatised to the temperatures in Qatar. It's around the same temperature there in the winter to the UK. Gets hotter in the summer, mind.

That said, I don't think anybody will be acclimatised in this World Cup if the conditions are as bad as they can be (even in the winter months). Temperature is into the 30s this week with high humidity so, if it's the same during the tournament, they are all going to be sweating various bits off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
DB
November 11, 2022, 5:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
As positive and optimistic as I am towards Town I am not feeling the same way towards England. I hope they do well but I think their time came and went last time out.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
November 11, 2022, 6:55am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Iran surprised me at the last world cup. Gave Spain a really tough game .

You have to wonder how much they’ll be affected by events at home too and whether that will impact performance.

Extremist behaviour; border disputes; uncontrolled population growth; economic and government corruption; isolationist government policies; rampant poverty; climatic problems; erosion of civil liberties; widening social disparities between different classes; cultural declines; migrant issues; rising crime; unstable leadership…

…and that’s just England.

I hear things are pretty turbulent in Iran too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
Poojah
November 11, 2022, 8:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,770
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Iran - Minor footballing nation but will run all day and the conditions will suit them more than us, potential starting draw.

USA - Will fancy it, a draw.

Wales - Could go either way but if we’re under pressure for a result it could be another Iceland.

USA - Beat Wales & Iran
Wales - Beat us and Iran

We go home. I hope I’m wrong.

We’re up against three three fairly unfashionable names in terms of international football historically, but all of them sit inside the top 20 FIFA rankings, and it’s not that long ago since Wales had an outside chance of becoming the highest ranked team in the world (as ludicrous as that sounds). It’s certainly a tougher group in reality that it looks on paper.

All that said, it’s not quite the group of death either; there’s no one side England won’t be favourite to beat. People seem harshly down on Southgate for me; form going into the tournament has been far from ideal but he has won 4 knockout games in major tournament as England manager, something no one else has got close to in recent history.

I think we’ll do alright.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
GollyGTFC
November 11, 2022, 9:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
The World Cup is wide open. Every team has a significant flaw. The last 20 years tells you it will probably be a European winner.

I think Southgate should have taken another out and out striker. It’s just Kane & Wilson. Surely in a squad of 26 he could have found room for Toney, Abraham or similar. If he suffer injuries Rashford as a potential lone striker worries me.

We look very weak in defence, Ben White has the chance to establish himself as a genuine world class defender and cement his place as an England regular. Luke Shaw as the only genuine left-back suggests Southgate is thinking about playing 3 at the back which would be a huge mistake.

Sadly we all know Sterling will be an auto automatic starter for game 1 despite his terrible form over the past 15 months.

England going into this World Cup reminds me of Italia 90. Bobby Robson had the guts to make changes in personnel and formation back then. The likes of Paul Parker, David Platt & Paul Gascoigne were brought into the team as the tournament went on and it paid off and was the closest we’ve been up adding another World Cup win.

I just think Southgate will be too loyal to the likes of Maguire and Sterling and won’t be as bold as Bobby Robson was.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 50
Hagrid
November 11, 2022, 9:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,486
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from GollyGTFC
The World Cup is wide open. Every team has a significant flaw. The last 20 years tells you it will probably be a European winner.

I think Southgate should have taken another out and out striker. It’s just Kane & Wilson. Surely in a squad of 26 he could have found room for Toney, Abraham or similar. If he suffer injuries Rashford as a potential lone striker worries me.

We look very weak in defence, Ben White has the chance to establish himself as a genuine world class defender and cement his place as an England regular. Luke Shaw as the only genuine left-back suggests Southgate is thinking about playing 3 at the back which would be a huge mistake.

Sadly we all know Sterling will be an auto automatic starter for game 1 despite his terrible form over the past 15 months.

England going into this World Cup reminds me of Italia 90. Bobby Robson had the guts to make changes in personnel and formation back then. The likes of Paul Parker, David Platt & Paul Gascoigne were brought into the team as the tournament went on and it paid off and was the closest we’ve been up adding another World Cup win.

I just think Southgate will be too loyal to the likes of Maguire and Sterling and won’t be as bold as Bobby Robson was.

i cant look past Brazil for this one, i know its lazy and they are favourites, but the attacking talent they possess just makes me think its their time again
Spain are always there or thereabouts, dont think England, Germany, Belgium have got enough to challenge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
GollyGTFC
November 11, 2022, 9:35am

Whiskey Drinker
My prediction..

Group A - 1st Netherlands 2nd Senegal
Group B - 1st England 2nd USA
Group C - 1st Argentina 2nd Mexico
Group D - 1st Denmark 2nd France
Group E - 1st Germany 2nd Spain
Group F - 1st Belgium 2nd Croatia
Group G - 1st Brazil 2nd Switzerland
Group H - 1st Portugal 2nd Korea Rep

Round of 16…
Netherlands beat USA
France beat Argentina
Germany beat Croatia
Brazil beat Korea Rep
England beat Senegal
Denmark beat Mexico
Belgium beat Spain
Portugal beat Switzerland

Quarter-Finals…
Netherlands beat France
Germany beat Brazil
England beat Denmark
Portugal beat Belgium

Semi-Finals…
Netherlands beat Germany
Portugal beat England

3rd/4th…
Germany beat England

Final…
Netherlands beat Portugal
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 30 - 50
GollyGTFC
November 11, 2022, 9:44am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

i cant look past Brazil for this one, i know its lazy and they are favourites, but the attacking talent they possess just makes me think its their time again
Spain are always there or thereabouts, dont think England, Germany, Belgium have got enough to challenge

Every World Cup since 2002 Brazil have been knocked out as soon as they faced a Western European side in the knock-out stage. They’re likely to have Germany in the QF so I’m saying that will be Brazil out of that does indeed happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 50
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2022, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Every World Cup since 2002 Brazil have been knocked out as soon as they faced a Western European side in the knock-out stage. They’re likely to have Germany in the QF so I’m saying that will be Brazil out of that does indeed happen.

I think the Germans are real contenders for this. They’re under new leadership and seem to be coming back well and it feels like expectations are lower than usual. They’ll be well organised as ever and have a good squad that runs deep.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
Maringer
November 11, 2022, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Luke Shaw as the only genuine left-back suggests Southgate is thinking about playing 3 at the back which would be a huge mistake.

To be fair, Trippier is very capable when playing at left-back. The only question then, is whether or not Walker is fit to play right-back (if we play a back 4). TAA is NOT defensively good enough to play at full-back, though he might be decent as a wing-back. I think White is a good defender, but might not be quite quick enough off the mark to play full-back in international football. You don't get that many tall full-backs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
Mariner93er
November 11, 2022, 10:28am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
Like everyone else, I got carried away over the last two tournaments. There's no denying Southgate has been one of our most successful managers ever (which is depressing really when he hasn't won anything).

But the reality is we had very favourable draws over the last 2 tournaments and I personally don't believe we beat a world class team in either. The closest you could argue is Germany but let's be honest, they were in one of their moments of transition with a new manager coming in and were nothing like your regular German side.

And I can't see that changing in this tournament. We have the attacking talent to do well but I don't think Southgate is fully capable of unleashing it which he needs to if we're to do well as our defence is our weakness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
Bigdog
November 11, 2022, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC
My prediction..

Group A - 1st Netherlands 2nd Senegal
Group B - 1st England 2nd USA

Group C - 1st Argentina 2nd Mexico
Group D - 1st Denmark 2nd France
Group E - 1st Germany 2nd Spain
Group F - 1st Belgium 2nd Croatia
Group G - 1st Brazil 2nd Switzerland
Group H - 1st Portugal 2nd Korea Rep

Round of 16…
Netherlands beat USA
France beat Argentina
Germany beat Croatia
Brazil beat Korea Rep
England beat Senegal
Denmark beat Mexico
Belgium beat Spain
Portugal beat Switzerland

Quarter-Finals…
Netherlands beat France
Germany beat Brazil
England beat Denmark
Portugal beat Belgium

Semi-Finals…
Netherlands beat Germany
Portugal beat England

3rd/4th…
Germany beat England

Final…
Netherlands beat Portugal

England make a pig's ear of the group, complain about tiredness, fixture congestion and the temperature but still qualify on goal difference in second place only to get beaten soundly by the Dutch in the round of 16. Southgate rewarded with a four year contract extension..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
Les Brechin
November 11, 2022, 10:43am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Hagrid

If Richarlison is the standard of their forwards, then they've got no bloody chance!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
Mariner_09
November 11, 2022, 10:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think the Germans are real contenders for this. They’re under new leadership and seem to be coming back well and it feels like expectations are lower than usual. They’ll be well organised as ever and have a good squad that runs deep.

Germany are a tournament team, same with Italy (when they make it). I can remember back to Germany 2006, and apart from that tournament, we have gone into every single one and people say "oh the Germans they're not what they were, no chance they'll win", and they almost always make the latter stages. So, I'm surprised when Germany don't do well, 2018 was a massive exception.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
mimma
November 11, 2022, 10:51am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Listening to everyone on here we might as well not bother going!
For what it's worth, I think we have two of the best defensive midfielders in the world in Rice and Phillips who will protect our back 3/4.
Another point is we always go to the world cup knackered after a full season in the Premie. League. This time we are in the middle of the season, and a couple of players have been out injured so should be fresh.
I also note that Rashford is back to his best as well as Madison.
Every6on here has only looked at the negatives, try looking at the positives.  We don't know what problems there are with other teams in the tournament or how well they are prepared.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
LH
November 11, 2022, 11:14am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,599
Gold Stars: 177
The only issues I have with the squad are form and injury based rather than ability and Southgate can get a tune out of some relatively average players when he gets to tournaments.

I have Brazil as slight favourites because they’ve got a good balance of youth, experience and depth to their squad but you don’t win tournaments with the written squad on paper. I can’t see England getting past the quarters this time unfortunately.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
GollyGTFC
November 11, 2022, 12:01pm

Whiskey Drinker
Re: Brazil…

Since losing to Belgium in the QF of Russia 2018 they’ve only had one match against European opposition and that was Czech Republic in 2019.

It’s impossible to judge where they are, but looking at their Premier League heavy squad they look nothing special overall.

But I think every single side has a major flaw so who knows? But personally I don’t expect them to come close to winning the tournament.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 50
Jarmo.Is.God
November 11, 2022, 12:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Ben White is at the prime age to kick on and is doing great for Arsenal.
I hope Maguire doesn't start instead of him!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
GollyGTFC
November 11, 2022, 4:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

To be fair, Trippier is very capable when playing at left-back. The only question then, is whether or not Walker is fit to play right-back (if we play a back 4). TAA is NOT defensively good enough to play at full-back, though he might be decent as a wing-back. I think White is a good defender, but might not be quite quick enough off the mark to play full-back in international football. You don't get that many tall full-backs.

He won’t play White at full-back. Luke Shaw & Trippier are left back options with Saka a left wing back option.

Ben White is excellent. And John Stones is world class when he has an excellent centre-back partner and average when he’s next to someone like Maguire.

I think as things stand Southgate will pick a 4-2-3-1…

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Trippier

Rice
Phillips

Sterling
Bellingham
Saka

Kane

Against lesser opposition he might leave out Phillips and play someone like Mount, Foden or Grealish centrally in a 4-1-4-1

But he’s a cautious manager so he might play 3 at the back including Kyle Walker like in Russia and have Trippier & Shaw/Saka as wing-backs. Personally I think that would be a huge mistake.

The big shame is that Sancho and TAA would walk into any international team in world football yet one won’t be in Qatar and one will be lucky to get on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 42 - 50
Hagrid
November 11, 2022, 4:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,486
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from GollyGTFC

He won’t play White at full-back. Luke Shaw & Trippier are left back options with Saka a left wing back option.

Ben White is excellent. And John Stones is world class when he has an excellent centre-back partner and average when he’s next to someone like Maguire.

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Trippier

Rice
Phillips

Sterling
Bellingham
Saka

Kane

Against lesser opposition he might leave out Phillips and play someone like Mount, Foden or Grealish centrally in a 4-1-4-1

But he’s a cautious manager so he might play 3 at the back including Kyle Walker like in Russia and have Trippier & Shaw/Saka as wing-backs. Personally I think that would be a huge mistake.

The big shame is that Sancho and TAA would walk into any international team in world football yet one won’t be in Qatar and one will be lucky to get on the pitch.

Sancho doesnt even get in the United side, how can he justify being picked for England?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
GollyGTFC
November 11, 2022, 5:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Sancho doesnt even get in the United side, how can he justify being picked for England?

He’s started 10 out of United’s 13 Premier League games this season. He’s missed the last couple with a slight injury so he’s been a regular.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 50
Gaffer58
November 11, 2022, 5:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Not certain but I think Kyle Walker will be missing from the group games as he’s still recovering from his injury. Philips had only played around 50 minutes of premiership football this season, Maguire isn’t first choice at Manure nowadays, we all know TAA cannot defend to save his life, personally although Pickford is a good stopper his distribution is awful,always seems to be in a rush and wants to kick it as far and hard as possible, Sterling is not producing his Man City form now he’s at Chelsea, so basically we’ll go all the way and beat Brazil, Holland, Germany or France 4-0 in the final.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
Rick12
November 12, 2022, 7:11am
Vodka Drinker

I hear things are pretty turbulent in Iran too.
Iran traditionally have not been  a big football nation though Knuts . Look at some of the big boys where football is massive. It even surprises me at some of the lengths the government go to to encourage people to play. Brazil for one despite their problems with crime and the favelas have a lot of positives. Take football for one where there is free pitches at night floodlit . We dont even have that  here in the UK unless you pay for it.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
Posh Harry
November 12, 2022, 7:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,375
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Pickford

Walker
Stones
Maguire
Trippier

Rice
Phillips

Sterling
Bellingham
Saka

Kane

It’s all about opinions but mine is that no way would sancho and TAA walk into any international team in world football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
Rick12
November 12, 2022, 7:47am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
The World Cup is wide open. Every team has a significant flaw. .
My favourite to win it is Brazil. Sad to read this will be possibly Neymar Jr's last world cup. Despite some of his petulance in the past at his best is beautiful to watch .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
November 12, 2022, 8:01am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
It even surprises me at some of the lengths the government go to to encourage people to play. Brazil for one despite their problems with crime and the favelas have a lot of positives. Take football for one where there is free pitches at night floodlit . We dont even have that  here in the UK unless you pay for it.

Control though isn’t it.

Fumaça - the Humber Mirandinha.

Lots of meat - rodizios.

Those little skimpy tanga pants that grip where the sun don’t shine.

Give a person a football and they’ll seal dribble, hocus pocus and elastico all day.

Give a person an education and a chance in life and they might overthrow the Government.

Look at Rio. Floodlit football pitches - tick. Massive great Christ statue - tick. Free city beaches - tick.

We don’t need to resort to soft forms of control like that in our country because we’ve got Rupert Murdoch and The Daily Mail instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
Rick12
November 12, 2022, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker

Control though isn’t it.

Give a person a football and they’ll seal dribble, hocus pocus and elastico all day.

Give a person an education and a chance in life and they might overthrow the Government.

Look at Rio. Floodlit football pitches - tick. Massive great Christ statue - tick. Free city beaches - tick.

We don’t need to resort to soft forms of control like that in our country because we’ve got Rupert Murdoch and The Daily Mail instead.
Very true Knuts education is key.  Having said that I still feel engagement in sport can help play a factor in reducing crime .This is not just in Brazil but the world over.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.