Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 151 Guests

Just back

This thread currently has 18,985 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
male private Nale
November 14, 2022, 12:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from chaos33
Yes. And?

divvy the merciless, your statement at the footer of your post is surely ironic ?

Do what you love while you can…..as long as it conforms to my beliefs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 185
chaos33
November 14, 2022, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
What are you on about Nick?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 185
GollyGTFC
November 14, 2022, 1:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,057
Gold Stars: 358
2 wins, 2 draws and 5 defeats from the last 9 league games. That’s only 1 point better than the 7 points (W2 D1 L6) Holloway managed from his final 9 league games as Town manager.

Has it started to go stale under Hurst? The age of long term managerial reigns is over after all. Are the players starting to get bored by the same voices.

Hurst is the 4th longest serving manager in League 2 (out of 24) and the 12th longest serving manager in the EFL as a whole (out of 72).

If I’m being honest I think he underachieved clearing up Holloway’s mess and failing to avoid relegation, he overachieved getting an instant return to the EFL and he’s underachieving again this season in the league.

What do we all think is acceptable for this season and next?

I would say a solid top half finish and maybe sneaking into the playoffs this season and a proper automatic promotion challenge next season aren’t unrealistic targets.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 152 - 185
November 14, 2022, 1:11pm
Guest User
Mid to top half finish is more than fine for me.
Reply: 153 - 185
Grantley
November 14, 2022, 1:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GollyGTFC
2 wins, 2 draws and 5 defeats from the last 9 league games. That’s only 1 point better than the 7 points (W2 D1 L6) Holloway managed from his final 9 league games as Town manager.

Has it started to go stale under Hurst? The age of long term managerial reigns is over after all. Are the players starting to get bored by the same voices.

Hurst is the 4th longest serving manager in League 2 (out of 24) and the 12th longest serving manager in the EFL as a whole (out of 72).

If I’m being honest I think he underachieved clearing up Holloway’s mess and failing to avoid relegation, he overachieved getting an instant return to the EFL and he’s underachieving again this season in the league.

I would say a solid top half finish and maybe sneaking into the playoffs this season and a proper automatic promotion challenge next season aren’t unrealistic targets.

Look who’s back working at the cherry farm!

Jordan Magrew
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 185
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 14, 2022, 1:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82

I would say a solid top half finish and maybe sneaking into the playoffs this season and a proper automatic promotion challenge next season aren’t unrealistic targets.[/quote]

Personally, at the start of the season, and it still applies today, I expected that this season would see us comfortably finish in a mid table position and that next season we might be pushing strongly for the playoffs.

I still have some reservations about some of our summer signings but there is plenty of the season left for a number of these guys to kick on and become integral parts of the team. Obviously our home form is incredibly disappointing but the biggest disappointment has been the failure to identify the favoured tactical approach PH wants to adopt in home games. Accept that tactics are often tweaked to reflect the opposition or injury but we don’t seem to have a game plan or at least one that allows us to get forward at pace and maintain some lengthy periods of pressure in the opposition’s half.

In January would like to see us bring in a commanding midfield player, a wide player who has both pace and the ability to beat a man and can take us forward with intent. At present I don’t believe Kiernan is of the right quality and Khan can flatter to deceive but acknowledge he has the attributes we require even though he can drift out of games for long periods. Of course these additions would be accompanied by a couple of forwards one of whom needs to be a first choice option.

Given the above and the return of a fit McAtee we should comfortably achieve my expected mid table position but with improved home form maybe something a little higher!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 185
GollyGTFC
November 14, 2022, 1:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grantley

Look who’s back working at the cherry farm!

Can you explain how I’m cherry picking?
Using facts and statistics?
Not happy clapping along?
This total lack of ambition amazes me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 156 - 185
jamesgtfc
November 14, 2022, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
The highest we've finished since 2006 is 14th so I would take anything above that as a clear sign of progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 185
GollyGTFC
November 14, 2022, 1:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Personally, at the start of the season, and it still applies today, I expected that this season would see us comfortably finish in a mid table position and that next season we might be pushing strongly for the playoffs.

I still have some reservations about some of our summer signings but there is plenty of the season left for a number of these guys to kick on and become integral parts of the team. Obviously our home form is incredibly disappointing but the biggest disappointment has been the failure to identify the favoured tactical approach PH wants to adopt in home games. Accept that tactics are often tweaked to reflect the opposition or injury but we don’t seem to have a game plan or at least one that allows us to get forward at pace and maintain some lengthy periods of pressure in the opposition’s half.

In January would like to see us bring in a commanding midfield player, a wide player who has both pace and the ability to beat a man and can take us forward with intent. At present I don’t believe Kiernan is of the right quality and Khan can flatter to deceive but acknowledge he has the attributes we require even though he can drift out of games for long periods. Of course these additions would be accompanied by a couple of forwards one of whom needs to be a first choice option.

Given the above and the return of a fit McAtee we should comfortably achieve my expected mid table position but with improved home form maybe something a little higher!

I think the summer signings issues was always going to happen. We finished 4 weeks after most league clubs last season. It resulted in a lot of potential targets already being sorted out and meant we had to retain players who ideally Hurst might had liked to get rid of.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 158 - 185
Mariner_09
November 14, 2022, 1:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We had a record turnaround time this close season, we've had to play without our stay player for all but 1 and a bit games this season. Until last weekend we had more points than any promoted side in the top four tiers of English football. We are now playing without our focal point and only man who can effectively play the lone striker role. To cherry pick the poor home form, ignoring our excellent away record (certainly prior to Barrow) is an unfair representation.

We're now in poor form, for a variety of reasons but with McAtee coming back and how well we know we can play, I'm not unduly worried. Dare say we'll finish somewhere between 10th and 16th. Then we have a proper go next season as we'll have been a League club for a season, so slightly better established, we'll know which League we're in from a much earlier stage and finish the season a month earlier, so Hursty will be able to better identify and start talking to players in earnest more quickly.

It hasn't gone stale, a month ago we'd come off an excellent away win at Stockport and we were all bullish about our prospects. Hursty came out the right side of a much more testing period last season, I have no doubt he will do the same here. This is a blip, not a slump.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 185
19 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.