chaos33
January 2, 2023, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Rather harsh on Ryan given the fact this is the first prolonged injury he’s had and played nigh on every game last season.

It’s not harsh on Ryan - the point isn’t really about him. It’s about the conflation. When he’s fit there are some on here (who make me wonder how long they’ve been watching football) who post ‘we need better than Taylor. He’s finished at this level. He doesn’t score enough goals’ and so on and so on. As though 25 year old prolific, line-leading units are actually available?! Taylor enables us to play a certain way that makes the most of others in the team - others who contribute plenty of goals - McAtee, Clifton, Holohan, Khan etc.

We do not struggle for goals. We let too many in. Every club in this country would like a prolific number 9, but the’yre fast becoming a myth. I don’t know why. I’m drawing attention to the conflation. I think we would benefit from a strong, mobile type to lead the line and play ahead of McAtee, Khan, Clifton etc…hold it up and bring them into play. We are proven potent in that regard. Whether they’re a ‘goalscorer’ or not is somewhat immaterial and probably exceedingly rare and unlikely to be coming to a mid table L2 club near you any time soon.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 104
Kris2
January 2, 2023, 6:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from pontoonlew

Khan has hit a purple patch, hopefully he’ll kick that on. The point is though, none of those players are strikers..

Most of the big teams don't play strikers anymore, it's a dead concept in football to have the one or two strikers who just stay up front looking for goals, nobody plays like that anymore. Everybody has to play and score from all over the pitch these days to be successful.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 104
mimma
January 2, 2023, 6:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
If we got a striker in and he scores a shitload of goals for us he would be gone in the summer and we'd be back to square one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 104
HertsGTFC
January 2, 2023, 7:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
You could see yesterday especially in the first half that we needed someone to either arrive in the middle at the right time or check a run into the box to find space etc.. etc.. some of the things strikers do well. We’re actually quite good at getting in behind teams we just need something extra than what we’ve currently got.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 104
pontoonlew
January 2, 2023, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from ginnywings
We managed to get promoted without the fabled 20 goal striker. We did under Buckley too.

There are strikers out there but they are difficult to procure. The better they are, the more difficult they are to recruit.

I don't think fans are saying they don't exist, just that they are scarce unless you throw tons of cash at it and the new owners wont do that.

I don’t know how loudly I need to shout this, but nobody is asking for a 20 goal striker. That’d be nice, but I’d snap your hand off for 12
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 104
It Bites
January 2, 2023, 7:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,208
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Kris2

Most of the big teams don't play strikers anymore, it's a dead concept in football to have the one or two strikers who just stay up front looking for goals, nobody plays like that anymore. Everybody has to play and score from all over the pitch these days to be successful.

Haaland , Kane  Salah ... I can go on if you like
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 104
pontoonlew
January 2, 2023, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma
If we got a striker in and he scores a shitload of goals for us he would be gone in the summer and we'd be back to square one

Good point, no point then!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 104
LocalLadGTFC
January 2, 2023, 7:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 140
Quoted from chaos33

It’s not harsh on Ryan - the point isn’t really about him. It’s about the conflation. When he’s fit there are some on here (who make me wonder how long they’ve been watching football) who post ‘we need better than Taylor. He’s finished at this level. He doesn’t score enough goals’ and so on and so on. As though 25 year old prolific, line-leading units are actually available?! Taylor enables us to play a certain way that makes the most of others in the team - others who contribute plenty of goals - McAtee, Clifton, Holohan, Khan etc.

We do not struggle for goals. We let too many in. Every club in this country would like a prolific number 9, but the’yre fast becoming a myth. I don’t know why. I’m drawing attention to the conflation. I think we would benefit from a strong, mobile type to lead the line and play ahead of McAtee, Khan, Clifton etc…hold it up and bring them into play. We are proven potent in that regard. Whether they’re a ‘goalscorer’ or not is somewhat immaterial and probably exceedingly rare and unlikely to be coming to a mid table L2 club near you any time soon.

I meant your point on him not always being available, I’m a big Ryan Taylor fan. You have to be an idiot to not see how he enables us to play. He’s the Gary Jones to Mcatee’s Reddy.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 77 - 104
pontoonlew
January 2, 2023, 7:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

Worth noting that 5 of the top 7 in our league have a striker in the top 9 goal scorers in the league.

If you go down a bit further, it’s 8 of the top 10…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 104
chaos33
January 2, 2023, 7:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from It Bites

Haaland , Kane  Salah ... I can go on if you like

Yes, go on. Name more. What you’re doing is illustrating the point. There aren’t that many. There are 20 prem clubs and nigh on 60 other clubs above us in the pecking order. Do share all those line leading, big unit 20 goal a season strikers that exist.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › When will the first be signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.