2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
SouthLakesMariner
January 8, 2023, 1:01am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +944
Gold Stars: 21
Extensive coverage on the BBC highlights programme, with the pundits salivating over the positive effect that the new ownership has had on the club, the success they’ve achieved and the general trajectory.

Needless to say this was the Wrexham coverage - in contrast the only coverage of Town was the goal itself and not a mention in the studio summary.

I get the feeling the only way Town will get any focus in R4 is if we draw Wrexham and turn them over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 8, 2023, 1:17am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 122
It was certainly a 'blink and you'll miss it' highlight (singular)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
aldi_01
January 8, 2023, 6:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
They’re salivating over Wrexham because they’ve heard of the owners, much like Salford. They’ll ignore the millions spent on transfers and the failed attempt at promotion (and they’re still not top so hardly a guarantee this season).

I’m not arsed, we’re in the league, we won the only game that mattered between us and we’re in the 4th round. Naturally, I’ve no doubt they’ll get some money spinner draw but it’s always a case of money to money…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
LH
January 8, 2023, 9:17am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,604
Gold Stars: 175
To all the people moaning about the coverage we got: could you tell me what other highlights from the game you’d have shown? We beat a (very) crap League One team with a goal deflected off someone’s bottom.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
supertown
January 8, 2023, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from LH
To all the people moaning about the coverage we got: could you tell me what other highlights from the game you’d have shown? We beat a (very) crap League One team with a goal deflected off someone’s bottom.

The shocking non-penalty decision for sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
quebec38
January 8, 2023, 9:24am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I see why people are upset by this but I guess the BBC are rightly going to cater for the majority who will be mostly interested in the bigger clubs. If I was a fan of say Liverpool, I probably wouldn’t care for Grimsby v Burton getting a lot of coverage either. Our highlights were no less extensive than at least two Premier League games btw.

The Wrexham thing is annoying - it’s hailed as a giant killing by the non-league side yet when you look in to it, it’s a non-league club with a league one squad. But that’s the narrative, we can’t do anything about that. It was the same with Salford, and it’ll be the same when Yeovil are bought by Kylie Minogue or whatever the next one is.

We are in the draw this afternoon which is the main thing. Hopefully we get our reward with a glamour tie and get our 90 mins in the spotlight.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
HertsGTFC
January 8, 2023, 9:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,997
Gold Stars: 228
Journalists and producers are lazy, they go for the easiest default story every time.

To be fair a non league side going away to a championship side winning and scoring 4 in the process is bigger news to anyone other than a Town supporter than our win yesterday, it’s just all the bull sh1t that goes with it.

They’ll get plenty of coverage for a good while yet, hopefully at some point it will include Parkinson being sacked for another “epic but heroic” failure to get promoted from the national league.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
Ruston AT
January 8, 2023, 9:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +426
Gold Stars: 10

I wonder if , eventually,  people will turn against the bias that the BBC and other media outlets show will turn against Wrexham/Salford. Neither of them deserve the publicity they get and they wouldn't get it if circumstances were different.
      only a point of view, I prefer us under the radar.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
supertown
January 8, 2023, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
I’m sure if our game had been a 4-3 thriller it would have got more coverage. It wasn’t a very good game tbf and very few highlights. Not sure what the gripe is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
ex-merseymariner
January 8, 2023, 10:19am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,402
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from supertown
I’m sure if our game had been a 4-3 thriller it would have got more coverage. It wasn’t a very good game tbf and very few highlights. Not sure what the gripe is

The gripe is that it has been so long since we reached rnd 4 and since bbc gave us decent coverage.  It shouldn't depend how many goals we score or whether our owners are ex players or Hollywood film stars.

They could have given us a little bit more than just the goal!  Be interesting to tot up our coverage on MotD over 3 rounds, maybe 1 to 2 mins!?

Also, I'm not a Mark Chapman fan but his coverage of the cup draws has been thorough and professional. He was accompanied by Leon Osman and Stephen Warnock who have little lower league or Cup insight. Warlock rabbited on about what a good managed Phil Parkinson is?  Maybe a pundit who watches lower league teams?  At least for example Dion Dublin had his Cambridge utd links etc

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
LH
January 8, 2023, 10:55am

So in the round the PL clubs come in you want a lower league pundit on? It’s just not going to happen is it. They also covered it was a long time since we’ve been in the Fourth Round by saying it was the first time since 2000 (tbf this might have been the Five Live coverage on the way home) - not really sure what else you want them to say?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
lukeo
January 8, 2023, 11:07am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
If it keeps us under the radar until the semi finals I'll take that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
ginnywings
January 8, 2023, 11:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
A non league team beat a team from the Championship away from home, scoring four goals and the game had everything. 7 goals, a sending off, a penalty, a comeback from Coventry with 10 men, who created chance after chance and hit the woodwork countless times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the highlights myself.

The town game was without much incident and we beat a team from the bottom end of the league above.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
Son of Cod
January 8, 2023, 11:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from LH

I get that but perhaps a mention that we've beaten three sides from the division above (including a dismantling of the division leaders) wouldn't have gone amiss?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
LH
January 8, 2023, 12:00pm

Quoted from Son of Cod

I get that but perhaps a mention that we've beaten three sides from the division above (including a dismantling of the division leaders) wouldn't have gone amiss?

They might have had time to talk about that if the match had produced some other highlights. They can only work with what we’ve given them.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
supertown
January 8, 2023, 1:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

The gripe is that it has been so long since we reached rnd 4 and since bbc gave us decent coverage.  It shouldn't depend how many goals we score or whether our owners are ex players or Hollywood film stars.

They could have given us a little bit more than just the goal!  Be interesting to tot up our coverage on MotD over 3 rounds, maybe 1 to 2 mins!?

Also, I'm not a Mark Chapman fan but his coverage of the cup draws has been thorough and professional. He was accompanied by Leon Osman and Stephen Warnock who have little lower league or Cup insight. Warlock rabbited on about what a good managed Phil Parkinson is?  Maybe a pundit who watches lower league teams?  At least for example Dion Dublin had his Cambridge utd links etc

Nope, still not getting it. The game was poor , one goal and you want some kind of extended highlights that quite frankly didn’t exist in the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
ex-merseymariner
January 8, 2023, 1:49pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,402
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from supertown

Nope, still not getting it. The game was poor , one goal and you want some kind of extended highlights that quite frankly didn’t exist in the game

I said I wanted more than the few seconds we got, I never said extended highlights. I agreed with another posters gripe that's all.  Many games got some interview with the managers for example.  

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Maringer
January 8, 2023, 1:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
To mention that we had beaten higher division opposition in the previous rounds would have required a bit of research. Little chance of that happening when they are knocking together a highlights package from dozens of games to a tight schedule.

The penalty which was denied might have made it because it was simply such a bizarre decision, but otherwise, not much in the way of highlights from that game.

Let's hope we give them a selection of highlights to show after the next game - providing they aren't in our own box!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › BBC Highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.