3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
January 10, 2023, 10:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,055
Gold Stars: 391
When Town beat them last year in the play offs Wrexham owners described it as a bump in the road. The investment poured into Wrexham for NL club is fantastic with the owners wish of making them a global force.

I do feel for their true fans, who sent money for our fans to attend the London Stadium final. Fairy tales come true but the reality of being a global force can come crashing down, Real Madrid, Man U & City they will never be. Why? Simply the American owners do not have the money the Arabs have.

When the American interest waivers because of their lack of success the fans will suffer. Liverpool had this with American owners, so judge for yourselves.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp.....p-giant-killers.html

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
ska face
January 10, 2023, 11:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,780
Gold Stars: 852
Think people just need to get over it now.

Two Hollywood millionaire movie star owners, winning nearly every week, 10k crowds, twātting League 1 teams away in 7-goal cup thrillers - you’re gonna get press attention.

There are far less deserving fanbases out there!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
Wiley2405
January 10, 2023, 11:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from ska face
Think people just need to get over it now.

Two Hollywood millionaire movie star owners, winning nearly every week, 10k crowds, twātting League 1 teams away in 7-goal cup thrillers - you’re gonna get press attention.

There are far less deserving fanbases out there!

*championship
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Yossarian
January 10, 2023, 11:18am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,097
Gold Stars: 19
I wish them well - any team down in the lower leagues need all the help they can get.  Better to support a team like Wrexham then City or Liverpool...

I've always had respect for fans that turn up every week to support their team.....  lets face it, unless you are one of the big Premier League clubs, most of the time supporting a team is the same for all of us - frustrating, disappointing, gruelling with the occasional glimmer of hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
pen penfras
January 10, 2023, 11:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from DB
When Town beat them last year in the play offs Wrexham owners described it as a bump in the road. The investment poured into Wrexham for NL club is fantastic with the owners wish of making them a global force.

I do feel for their true fans, who sent money for our fans to attend the London Stadium final. Fairy tales come true but the reality of being a global force can come crashing down, Real Madrid, Man U & City they will never be. Why? Simply the American owners do not have the money the Arabs have.

When the American interest waivers because of their lack of success the fans will suffer. Liverpool had this with American owners, so judge for yourselves.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sp.....p-giant-killers.html

Whilst I don't see them becoming a true force because their fanbase is too small, I wouldn't bet against it. Some billionaire who wants to hang out with movie stars could well be interested in getting involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Poojah
January 10, 2023, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,766
Gold Stars: 1,515
I think Wrexham will do alright in the long run, personally. Currently, the global platform their owners and subsequent documentary has given them is funding the investment in their first team and club infrastructure, and should that falter their owners are going to find it much more difficult to hide in the shadows than the likes of Peter Swann. I don’t see it going properly títs up for them.

I’m somewhat ambivalent towards Wrexham. As a rule, I dislike inorganic cash injections taking clubs to places their fan base could not naturally sustain, ergo Fleetwood, Salford and slightly more historically Crawley. But whilst the Wrexham situation is unique, it’s ostensibly self-funding and the club has a potential fan base capable of sustaining second-tier football.

I’d add to that their fans seem a decent bunch, as you rightly call out them helping to fund tickets for Town fans for last season’s final, and they’ve certainly served their time in non-league purgatory - they’ve been down their since 2008!

Excessive media coverage is an expected side effect of Wrexham’s teleological approach, and it won’t be going away any time soon. Ultimately, whilst I expect Wrexham to surpass us over the course of the next 5 years, I’m much happier with what we’ve got - invested, local owners with a community centric approach, quietly helping repair the damage of the last 20 years, with little fanfare.

Be grateful for what we’ve got, because like Wrexham I believe we have a club that is going places - just a little less noisily.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
Kris2
January 10, 2023, 11:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
That's how it is when one of your owners is Deadpool and very popular with the media. I doubt we'd be losing any sleep over jealousy if some random super hero movie star bought our club and decided to pump a ton of money into it after what we've had to deal with over the years. Wrexham have done their years of endless disappointment and endlessly crap owners who don't invest anything.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Mariner_09
January 10, 2023, 11:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Can't help feel that they're in it for the long haul though. Redeveloping that derelict stand behind the goal and no doubt the new training ground will be of Championship standard, they'll leave the club in a much better place than they found it, with much better organic revenue streams.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 10, 2023, 11:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
If we hadn’t played them in the league last year (or the subsequent play off campaign) would we really care? Or is it a bit of the green eyed monster that the club has emerged from their ‘slumber’ and are being given the chance to reignite their (footballing) fortune. It seems like the whole community is enjoying the exposure, not just the club.

There’s teams that have had money thrown at them for less worthy causes. I’d rather see them in the spotlight over the veggies or Salford. They at least have heritage on their side and a good strong fan base.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Southwark Mariner
January 10, 2023, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
We'd probably end up with Aqua Man
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More hype for Wrexham

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.