Phil the cod
January 15, 2023, 7:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from ginnywings

Sorry, but the Gimps "consolidated" for a season and then went up the following one.

For every club that gets a second promotion, there are at least 2 that don't. Where are Hartlepool for instance? Newport etc etc.

York got back in the league, then plummeted back 2 more.

Ok, I accept your facts on this.
But, at the end of the day we are still a big club in this division and should not be accepting what is being served up especially at home in front of 3000 new season ticket holders.
Just for a change, let's sign some decent players,spend some of this mythical money that's available,and have a go at it, there's still time.
We don't have to be "little old Grimsby" do we?
We are being outcompeted by pub teams like Salford and Harrogate.
Fair play to the likes of Swindon and Northampton, but we should be looking at being up there with them, they are no bigger than us.
FF sake Hurst and the board, show some balls and fighting spirit.
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 130
Limerick Mariner
January 15, 2023, 7:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
So what is the record length of a Just Back thread?

I guess this nowt compared to the Braintree 5-0 mins…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 130
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 7:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Phil the cod

But, at the end of the day we are still a big club in this division and should not be accepting what is being served up especially at home in front of 3000 new season ticket holders.
Just for a change, let's sign some decent players,spend some of this mythical money that's available,and have a go at it, there's still time.
Fair play to the likes of Swindon and Northampton, but we should be looking at being up there with them, they are no bigger than us.

Don't get me wrong, I want us to be playing sexy football and pushing for promotion, but the reality is that in most cases it takes time to re-establish yourself after a period in the doldrums.

We did the hard bit getting out of non league so quickly, probably too quickly in terms of where we expected to be this season. It's clear we need better players and I'm sure in time we will get them.

You mention Salford but they have a significantly bigger budget than us and have many clubs on their doorstep to cherry pick from. Harrogate are exremely well run but didn't get to where they are overnight. It took them many seasons of gradual improvement and yes, they are probably punching above their weight, but in time, we have a much better chance than they do of moving up the leagues and sustaining it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 130
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 7:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Phil the cod

Harrogate are not outcompeting us, Salford have a billionaire backer...we could never compete with them.
Swindon has 11000 in the ground yesterday and average 8000+ gates and are definitely bigger than us, again Northampton paying wages of up to 6k a week, no chance we can compete with that.
The one thing we will never know is what funds is made available to Hurst, so saying have some balls is a null point, or let's do a North Ferriby shall we, chuck shed loads of cash at it, bankrupt the club in the search if the whole grail of league 1!...
I'll take slow sustained growth, but I won't accept is living beyond our means.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 130
spuggybridge
January 15, 2023, 8:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +41
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Nutsy
I would like to see Paul be more adventurous with the line up, rather than inviting pressure and playing to defend first.

O'Neill
Khan-McAtee-Kiernan
Clifton Hunt
Glennon-Maher-Smith-Efete
Crocombe

Something like the above, and utilise Clifton's pressing and energy.

No idea why Hunt is not getting a look as we paid a fee and he could be a difference maker in tight games. I admit we need to improve defensively and we are still waiting for the elusive striker..

I have to agree with this, I too think Paul Hurst is, a times too defensive and would love to see him be more adventurous in his line up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 130
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2023, 8:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from ginnywings

Sorry, but the Gimps "consolidated" for a season and then went up the following one.

For every club that gets a second promotion, there are at least 2 that don't. Where are Hartlepool for instance? Newport etc etc.

York got back in the league, then plummeted back 2 more.

Well Ginny consolidation included making the playoffs where they were beaten by Exeter. They also had at least 4 players Borthwick, Frecklington, Shackell and Akinde on between 3 and 4k per week so consolidation was not their aim, it was promotion. I’m not expecting Town to put themselves at financial risk but reading these threads why do any of you live in Grimsby or Cleethorpes sounds horrific!!

I’ve lived in Lincoln for 45 years but have on more than one occasion applied for jobs in Grimsby and would have been happy to move there, think this particular argument is very weak personally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 8:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Phil the cod
at the end of the day we are still a big club in this division .

There’s a good dozen clubs that probably say the same I suspect.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 130
HertsGTFC
January 15, 2023, 8:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,998
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Well Ginny consolidation included making the playoffs where they were beaten by Exeter. They also had at least 4 players Borthwick, Frecklington, Shackell and Akinde on between 3 and 4k per week so consolidation was not their aim, it was promotion. I’m not expecting Town to put themselves at financial risk but reading these threads why do any of you live in Grimsby or Cleethorpes sounds horrific!!

I’ve lived in Lincoln for 45 years but have on more than one occasion applied for jobs in Grimsby and would have been happy to move there, think this particular argument is very weak personally.

Can you play number 9?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 130
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2023, 8:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Can you play number 9?

I could when I was younger but evidently Grimsby don’t pay enough so I would have signed for Chesterfield 😀😀😀😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 130
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 10:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,533
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

If you know the area as we do, then its weak, but the players we hope to attract generally have no idea what its like, using Google alone can make the area sound horrific.
I moved out 23 years ago, unfortunately to the land of the mud rats, but I'd move back tomorrow, nothing feels more like home as I pass pyewipe, hoards of boarded up shops down Grimsby/,Cleethorpes Road, the aroma of smoking haddock filling my lungs...and do you know what, I love my home town and its people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 130
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.