grimsby pete
January 18, 2023, 10:27am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from pizzzza

A trip to Villa would be infinitely more palatable than Luton. I expect most are feeling that this is now a crap tie because of the location more than anything else.

Plus the attendance it would have been a lot better if we got Villa and it was on tv so a good whack from the gate money and Tv .

So we will just have to beat them then get a prem side away on the tv to make up for it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
Rick12
January 18, 2023, 10:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

Agree Rick but Luton were not held back by their tight fisted chairman unlike us.

Who knows where we will be in five years under 1878  
Fair point Pete.  I would add though that being a football fan isnt cheap . I go every now and then to watch Grimsby play and its £20 a game. You can go to a restaurant for that and get a main dish and a side at least.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 98
Les Brechin
January 18, 2023, 10:43am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Poojah

Now the replay is done, I think we can safely say it was the worst possible draw by some margin. Let’s see.

Chances of winning: next to zero
Play our best player: nope
Nice ground: fúcking hell, no!
Big gate: Nah
Big away end: smaller than wacca’s cóck
Not been there for a while: 2017, fúck off
Nice surrounding area: it’s the zombie apocalypse, but the zombies are trying to get away

The positives?

Are we Scunny: thank the Lord we ain’t!

Ha ha, you've found your way onto the Luton forum with that post Poojah!

https://members.boardhost.com/lutonoutlaws/thread/1673994536.html

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
IlkleyMariner
January 18, 2023, 10:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,036
Gold Stars: 69
[quote=491]

Now the replay is done, I think we can safely say it was the worst possible draw by some margin. Let’s see.

Chances of winning: next to zero
Play our best player: nope
Nice ground: fúcking hell, no!
Big gate: Nah
Big away end: smaller than wacca’s cóck
Not been there for a while: 2017, fúck off
Nice surrounding area: it’s the zombie apocalypse, but the zombies are trying to get away

Pretty fair assessment I’d say
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2023, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 800

I saw us win 2 0 there in 1980-81 and lose 6 0 in 1981-82. I've seen several other wins there, another defeat and a draw.

Been there with Brentford a few times including a good FA Cup win. I don't think I'll fight for a ticket for this one. I'm off to Crawley next week and that's enough. Had a right bug and still trying to properly recover.

From the sublime to the ridiculous those two games Chris.... enjoyed the first one even if it was a bit scary before & after the game. The second one of course not so much!

My favourite visit there was when we won 4-1 and Paul Groves got a hat-trick

Last time I went was just before Xmas in the 2017-18 season when they got promoted and we just escaped relegation .....I'd say our chances of getting a win in this cup tie are about as good as the odds then

Not a particularly inspiring destination at all....  used to go to some of their games with a fan of theirs I knew when I lived in MK when they were riding high with David Pleat in charge (promoted that season after that 6-0 drubbing)

Played there a couple of times too when they had their artificial surface.... still never really warmed to the place, although the post match sandwiches were tasty. They literally flew off the plates
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 84 - 98
mariner91
January 18, 2023, 2:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Rick12
I think its going to be tough. A quick look at the weekly wage bills reflect that as well .Lutons weekly wage bill is £139,640 per week and Grimsbys only is £42,530 per week.  Football by and large tends to be market forces. The best players tend to end up at the top clubs and so forth. Having said that a championship player can pick up a half decent wage . In the 2021 -22 season the average wage was £35,000 a week .

I dread to think what you're earning if £35,000 a week is only half decent  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
Les Brechin
January 18, 2023, 2:01pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
I remember that 6-0 defeat well. drunk it down all game too IIRC. The Sports Telegraph headlines that night was WHITE HOT, as Steve (I think) White scored 4.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
Rick12
January 18, 2023, 2:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from mariner91

I dread to think what you're earning if £35,000 a week is only half decent  
It doesn't last though Mariner and the pressure on the players to get that and maintain it is tough. I look at some of the players who have done well in the premiership and for then to it all go to pot via injury(Jack Wilshire) or even personal problems. There's things we dont always see that go on behind the scenes in a players lives(applies to all levels in the professional set up eg from premiership to league 2)  that can affect them negatively which  doesn't come out in the media. Paul Scholes loosely touched this in a interview. He has a disabled lad and he was having problems. It affected him during a game which resulted in poor performance and Alex Ferguson took him off early .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2023, 2:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin
I remember that 6-0 defeat well. drunk it down all game too IIRC. The Sports Telegraph headlines that night was WHITE HOT, as Steve (I think) White scored 4.

That's the one Les - got absolutely rinsed both on and off the pitch  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 88 - 98
arryarryarry
January 18, 2023, 3:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 117
I can't remember which season it was but I am sure they had a large open end and the Luton fans were obviously feeling sorry for us as and they didn't feel we had enough and they had had a whip round for a couple of tons of rubble and countless darts as they were kindly throwing them over the fence for us.  
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wigan v Luton

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.