This thread currently has 2,167 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
January 22, 2023, 8:43pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,081
Gold Stars: 201

Although we are in a decent position in mid table we could soon get dragged into the relegation battle if we go on a bad run, 3 points at lowly Crawley would be just the tonic.

At the start of the season mid table was always going to be success for me in our progress, still is.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
January 22, 2023, 8:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
I think, without checking, that we are 10 points from the play offs and 10 points from the relegation zone.

The next run of games isn't too arduous and we have games in hand. We could also bring in a signing or two next week, which would help, so we could be well positioned in a place of comfort by the end of Feb.

Alternatively, we could be seriously looking over our shoulders if our poor form doesn't improve in the next 6 weeks. Bit of a defining period coming up methinks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
FishySmithy
January 22, 2023, 9:33pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
They (Crawley) had a Women’s game called off at their place today, due to a frozen pitch, weather forecast looks bleak next few days temps in the minus, hopefully if they are gonna call it off they do it early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
DB
January 23, 2023, 7:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Points wise we were in a similar position to last year, and then it happened. A few good results and were touching play off places. Ever the optimist.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
diehardmariner
January 23, 2023, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
25th Jan 2022 we lost away to Wrexham 1-0.

That left us 6 points off the final play off spot but 20 points above the last relegation spot.

Of course, a few good results changes everything.  Sure this was the case 12 months ago, but can anyone honestly see where they're coming from at present?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Mariner_09
January 23, 2023, 9:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from diehardmariner

That left us 6 points off the final play off spot but 20 points above the last relegation spot.

Of course, a few good results changes everything.  Sure this was the case 12 months ago, but can anyone honestly see where they're coming from at present?

I'm afraid we aren't going to replicate last season's post Jan 25th run this year. What was it? W12, D5 L3. The standard between L2 and NL is greater than I remember for sure. There are no Wokings, Wealdstones or Kings Lynns for us to beat this time.

What turned around the form last season was three key signings from about now Danny Amos, Andy Smith and Gavan Holohan. Supplemented by Arjan Raikhy (briefly) and Jordan Cropper. We need a similar set of signings this window, a right sided winger, a proper striker and probably a better midfielder and right back than we have. That's not to say what we have now isn't good enough, it is but it's not good enough to finish in the top seven.

With 22 games to go, we'd have to score something like 45 points in that time to make the playoffs, ie title winning form. Something we've shown no evidence for.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 23, 2023, 9:48am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Reminds a bit of the relegation season under PH when we had to play the likes of Scunthorpe, Colchester and I think Southend around this time and all we’re six pointers and we were confident that a couple of wins and we would be pretty safe. Didn’t work out too well as that next win didn’t arrive for several more weeks and matches and that’s something we can’t afford to happen again.

Must admit that early season optimism is much diminished at present but nothing a couple of quick wins won’t rekindle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Mariner_09
January 23, 2023, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Reminds a bit of the relegation season under PH when we had to play the likes of Scunthorpe, Colchester and I think Southend around this time and all we’re six pointers and we were confident that a couple of wins and we would be pretty safe. Didn’t work out too well as that next win didn’t arrive for several more weeks and matches and that’s something we can’t afford to happen again.

Must admit that early season optimism is much diminished at present but nothing a couple of quick wins won’t rekindle.

There is no comparison between 2020-21 and now, we're an infinitely better side and 10 points clear of relegation, not in there!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Les Brechin
January 23, 2023, 10:17am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,726
Gold Stars: 174
There was a womens game due to be played there yesterday and that was off due to a frozen pitch.

A quick peek at their forum show that most of their fans are expecting our game to be off too.

Let's hope they make an early call this time though, unlike Saturday.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
Poojah
January 23, 2023, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,780
Gold Stars: 1,515
Quoted from Les Brechin
There was a womens game due to be played there yesterday and that was off due to a frozen pitch.

A quick peek at their forum show that most of their fans are expecting our game to be off too.

Let's hope they make an early call this time though, unlike Saturday.

Looking at the latest forecast, there’s a good 11 hours of above freezing temperatures in the run up to kick-off, with 5 of those hours due to be 4 or 5 degrees. In the 24 hours running up to kick-off, only 7 are at or below freezing, and it’s not due to drop below -1.

I’d like to think we’ve got half a chance of getting a game of football on, based on that.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
DB
January 23, 2023, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.40
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from diehardmariner

Dover was in the last spot and miles behind on points. At that time, apart from me and possibly1 or 2 others, nobody else thought a promotion coming. Same this season you never know about promotion until there are not enough points to play for.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
diehardmariner
January 23, 2023, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,705
Gold Stars: 543
Last as in final, or 21st.

It was occupied by Weymouth with 16 points as opposed to our 36.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Crawley away

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.